Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Most reliable Superautomatic Brand?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Most reliable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
atlespresso

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Calssic, Rancilio...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 5:24pm
Subject: Re: Most reliable Superautomatic Brand?

I have tried most machines and owned many of them.  I am only espresso drinker not coffee but i can say even the most expensive super autos over 10k do not produce a product to equal to that of a sub 1k semi automatic will produce.

Also, when asking my technician contacts what machines I should buy/ try they always steer me away from super autos.  When you open them up you can see they are a issue waiting to happen.

There is a Cimbali super auto (that I was given a demo of)  that costs about 16k that produces a espresso at about 75% of a 750.00 semi but 16k is a little steep : )
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 5:42pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Greg, welcome to CG!

If you're a long-term reader of this site, you'll know that super-autos don't get much respect around here.  And -- no offense -- deservedly so.  This is Coffee Geek, after all, and a super-auto trades quality in the cup (which is where, for us, it counts the most) for convenience.  It's certainly a trade many people are willing to make, but rarely are they true "geeks."  

Cheers,
Jason

Posted December 15, 2011 link

Now now Jason, that is like me saying that anyone who roasts coffee in an iroast or freshroast as compared to a 60 rpm open air 10 pound capacity perforated drum residing over a swirl burner combusting syngas produced by a PID controlled Wood Gasifier is not a true "geek".

;)

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 7:47am

JtothaR Said:

As everyone here well knows, Super-autos are way more of a hassle than semi's could ever dream of being...

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Super-autos (usually) trade drink quality and machine reliability for convenience and ease of use. There's no reason to look down on somebody if their priorities match up better with a super-auto machine.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 8:15am

Super autos give you fast coffee but lacks the quality. But if you need some info for super automatic espresso coffee machines, I came upon this decent site about espresso coffee machine reviews. Glad to help.=)James, forgive me but this is the 6th time (in 9 posts) you've recommended this site, and -- honestly -- the site isn't very good!  It's filled with misinformation and will lead people astray . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 8:24am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Now now Jason, that is like me saying that anyone who roasts coffee in an iroast or freshroast as compared to a 60 rpm open air 10 pound capacity perforated drum residing over a swirl burner combusting syngas produced by a PID controlled Wood Gasifier is not a true "geek".

Point taken.  People's attitudes are what makes them a coffee geek, not equipment.  But you know as well as I do that super-autos are a trade-off between quality in the cup and convenience in the kitchen.  Like a child's see-saw, you can't have both ends at their highest point simultaneously.  For some, the trade-off is worth it; for others, it isn't.  That is up to the individual.

However, a) I've yet to have a shot from a super-auto -- commercial or consumer -- that I would consider anything better than "good" (if that), and certainly never one I thought was memorable; and b) I've never found the use of a semi- or full-auto to be inconvenient.  

But in the end, it's all a matter of one's personal priorities.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Sylvain

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 8:48am

Hello, I have bought  around 4 years ago a Jura S9.  The review of Coffeegeek help me a lot on my choice.  I have sold the machine after 2 years to a friend of mine.  Now, its run strong for 4 years with more than 6000 coffees on it.

No problem at all but we have made all maintenance schedule.

I hope this can help.

Sylvain
JtothaR
JtothaR

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 9:41am

scanfield Said:

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Super-autos (usually) trade drink quality and machine reliability for convenience and ease of use. There's no reason to look down on somebody if their priorities match up better with a super-auto machine.

Posted December 16, 2011 link

Have you ever done maintenance on super autos? I'm going to take a wild guess and say no.

Lets say optimistically that drink prep time is halved on a super auto (Hint: It isn't).

Then lets say that you clean the machine once a week (cause you don't care if the coffee tastes awful).

Cleaning and lubricating the brew unit probably takes about 10-15 minutes. Then you have to clean the insides of the machine, dregs-drawer, drip area, area around and behind the brew unit. Lets say 15 minutes for that.

As the OP has already stated, this will be his fourth machine in a 9 year time period and the previous three wen't into a dumpster. If each one cost him $1500 which is a conservative estimate, he will have spent $6,000 by the time he gets a replacement.

- Who here couldn't have bought a top notch setup for half that price, or bought a GS3 for the full price.

- Any prosumer machine and grinder can turn out a latte in under a minute. Just as fast as a super auto.

- Backflushing takes a couple minutes every 1-2 weeks and doesn't require disassembling the machine

- Machines can last for decades with minimal maintenance

- Grinders need replacement burrs several times in your life (for home use)

Am I ringing any bells here?

I can flat out guarantee you that I'm faster at drink production in all aspects using proper equipment over super-autos, and I'm speaking from direct experience owning them in the past. I'm not just trying to flame people who use them.

Every aspect of HX or DB use is far superior to Super Autos: Drink production time, Maintenance time, Drink quality, Machine longevity, cost of ownership... It's all better.

-James

Load and Lock.
xlr8tion

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:27am

JtothaR Said:

As everyone here well knows, Super-autos are way more of a hassle than semi's could ever dream of being...

-James

Well...I think it is more of a preference for Semi's.  I would not call one problem in 27 months (3000 cycles) a hassle.  FWIW; my wife would find grinding coffee, weighing it (for a semi) and cluttering up her immaculate counter with three devices instead of a shiny Gaggia Titanium a hassle.

She wants a cup of coffee in two minutes with the flip of an on switch and the push of one button.

Its a classic difference of everyday coffee drinkers vs. afficianados.

No offense intended.

Peace...and I mean peace!

Greg
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:32am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Point taken.  People's attitudes are what makes them a coffee geek, not equipment.  But you know as well as I do that super-autos are a trade-off between quality in the cup and convenience in the kitchen.  Like a child's see-saw, you can't have both ends at their highest point simultaneously.  For some, the trade-off is worth it; for others, it isn't.  That is up to the individual.

However, a) I've yet to have a shot from a super-auto -- commercial or consumer -- that I would consider anything better than "good" (if that), and certainly never one I thought was memorable; and b) I've never found the use of a semi- or full-auto to be inconvenient.  

Cheers,
Jason

I guess when it comes to Coffee Geek, we're all geeks in a specific forum category.   I say this as I just got done picking up the cooling column for my wood gas generator (which cleans and cools down the syngas which combusts in my swirl burner which provides the heat to roast my beans in my open air 10 lb. capacity drum).  It got knocked over by high winds in Connecticut last night.  The thing stands about 6 feet high.

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub: gasifier.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
xlr8tion

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:49am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Cheers,
Jason

AMEN!  Jason...you nailed the two ends of the spectrum of the equation. Some roast their beans; some just want to flip a power switch and hit the coffee button.   Your explanation was very elegant and salient.

I am just a coffee drinker who needs his caffeine in two minutes.  Arrogant as it may sound....at 30 cents a cup I will gladly replace a 1000 dollar super auto every two years(3000 cycles).

The Gaggia Titanium is a just a convenience machine to me that looks great on a granite counter top and makes a decent cup of coffee using Lavazza beans(oh here I go with opening another Pandoras Box)...LOL

Us folks with no palate just need convenience.

BTW...my buddy has a superauto(Gaggia Titanium) with 7604 cycles in 4 yrs...not a single problem. He's at 15 cents a cup.

I am definitely stipulating Senis are the way to go if this is your niche; those mentioning getting a Senseo....YIKES!  That's the "group" to pile on..not us Super auto owners!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Most reliable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.496310949326)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+