Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 179 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 8:59am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Sarobin Said:

Unfortunately living in the UK, there is no supplier of the BDB, so I would have to order from Germany who sell the Gastroback - same machine, rebadged.

One question for owners at this stage - what is the clearance between the drip tray and the PF spouts? Can I get a mug under to make Americanos?

Thanks for a very informative thread!

Posted March 7, 2013 link

Gastroback?  :-)  What a weird name.

There is a ton of clearance for the BDB.  A regular mug has plenty of room.  If you switched to a naked portafilter, you could probably get a HUGE mug under there.  

I don't know anything about the Giotto and complexity, but I think the BDB is about as simple as you can get, shy of a superautomatic.
 View Profile Link to this post
Sarobin

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus;...
Grinder: Eureka Mignon
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 9:02am

Ah - that's very useful to know. The Giotto doesn't have much clearance (unless using a naked PF).

Yes Gastroback is a strange name! It's just the name of the German company rather than the machine itself ;)
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 9:06am

Here's a decent video that shows you the features and operation.  You can get a view of the clearance as well.

Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

The Seattle Coffee gals can get a little annoying, but their videos are a fantastic resource.  They also have some other videos comparing the BDB to other machines in its class.
Sarobin

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 9:13am

Oh I'm very familiar with Kat & Gail and their fantastic vids :) I just couldn't quite make out whether a mug fitted under or not ;)

I also figure this machine would be easier for my partner to use as it has pressurised baskets as well (yup - I know they're frowned upon by purists), and also the measured 1 + 2 cup buttons (just to have the convenient option there if required). It'll also require less / no flushing, as it's dual boiler rather than HX (which the Giotto is).

So now all I have to do is wait to find out if Gastroback will let me send the machine back to them for it's 3/4-yearly descale, seeing as there's no UK distribution or service - which is really the only other thing bothering me.
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 9:35am

There is no temp surfing needed, of course.  And the group head is heated.  However, most people will flush a couple of seconds water through to make sure all the water in the line is hot.  But any machine in existence is going to benefit from that.

Why do you want to use the pressurized portafilter?  Are you planning to use pre-ground coffee?

As far as the descaling, Phil from Breville hinted that it would be easy to do yourself.  The main challenge is getting into the plumbing so you can drain the boiler.  However, Breville is not going to officially support end-users doing this.  I wouldn't let it be a major factor in your decision.
Sarobin

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 9:47am

Re: pressurised filters - as I understand it, they were a bit more forgiving to a novice's tamping, grinding, etc.

Interesting thought about doing the descale at home - I'll have to look out for guidance on that one!
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 10:01am

Sarobin Said:

Re: pressurised filters - as I understand it, they were a bit more forgiving to a novice's tamping, grinding, etc.

Interesting thought about doing the descale at home - I'll have to look out for guidance on that one!

I think that is true - they are more "forgiving" of bad grind, stale coffee, etc.  But that word is a little misleading.   Stale beans on a pressurized portafilter will be better than stale beans on a non-pressurized portafilter.  But they will still be wretched.  Also, good beans on a pressurized portafilter will also be bad.

I am not sure of the physics/chemistry involved, but a PPF basically narrows the range of what can happen.  The downside isn't quite as bad, but the upside isn't as good.  Grinding and tamping are not difficult to learn; most anyone could be taught in 15 minutes how to dial in a shot.  That's why no one here uses a PPF.  It just isn't worth the trade-off.
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 10:35am

Sarobin Said:

I'm thinking about changing my recently purchased Rocket Giotto for a BDB. The Giotto is nice to look at but my partner finds it too complicated to operate, and it's a PITA to keep clean.

Unfortunately living in the UK, there is no supplier of the BDB, so I would have to order from Germany who sell the Gastroback - same machine, rebadged.

One question for owners at this stage - what is the clearance between the drip tray and the PF spouts? Can I get a mug under to make Americanos?

Thanks for a very informative thread!

Clearance between the bottom of the PF spout and drip tray is ~103mm.

Cheers!
Sarobin

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 10:47am

Thanks!
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 11:06am

wjordan Said:

~103mm.

Huzzah Wayne!
(</puts tape measure back into tool box - well, he would have if he'd actually gotten up to get at it.)

AS toward pressurized; seriously, whatever gets one to an acceptable cuppa coffee.  And, there's always hope when you start showing off how easy it really is to get a very nice espresso the other way - they'll learn from your doing. (Besides, there is just something wonderful in shaking the porta filter over the waste can and seeing the puck just drop away.  I've never had that happen with a pressurized pf.)

Good journey to you, however you go!
Best,
-Chris
showing page 179 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.402741909027)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+