Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 236 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
michaelgo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 12:08pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

PacoPackaPucka Said:

what's a reasonable price range to pay for a good quality scale?  accessories are fun but the price can add up...

Posted August 9, 2013 link

I have this one from Amazon, $20.

AWS .01 Scale
 View Profile Link to this post
dmorrown

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler, Gaggia...
Grinder: Rancilio MD50, La San Marco...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: AeroPress, Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 12:02pm

You could spend as little as $7  click here

You want to make sure that your scale is at least a .1 gram scale if not a .01 gram, and it helps if it can be calibrated. If you pay more you may get a scale that can weigh heavier amounts and/or has a larger platform and is more practical for general kitchen use.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 1:01pm

Personally, I have one of the big $20 ones to weigh the grind/portafilter, and one of the pocket size $10 ones to weigh the cup/extracted beverage.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 4:58pm

You have to be very careful when you go for a cheap scale.  Some are very very good some are very very bad.  Harbor freight has a very very good one for $19.99 that goes on sale every other month for $12.99.  It is very dull and plain looking with no backlight, but it is otherwise superb. They have another for $12.99 regular price that looks cool, and has a fancy blue back light... run don't walk from that one.  It gobbles battery and it's repeatability and sampling rate is horrid.

-Peter
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 5:02pm

The AWS scales sold by large on-line retailer have been good for me. The old $10 pocket scale wasn't too sharp, but they upgraded the display and the buttons so it's better than it used to be.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JayGo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013, 8:52pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask if anyone is having the same issue I am having with the new dual boiler machine.

I received a replacement.  Before the replacement, if I left the machine on for more than an hour, it would completely dry the portafilter.  I did not need to wipe out any moist before putting in the ground coffee.  However, with the new one, even after wiping out the portafilter completely dry, turning on the machine and leaving it on for a while makes the portafilter become moist and wet.  The longer you leave the machine on, the wetter the portafilter gets.  I am thinking that this should not be happening, but the tech support personnel at Breville was telling me that it is a condensation from brew head and it is normal.  I could not completely agree with him because if what he was telling me was true, than that makes my older machine faulty (or should I say faultier since that problem was not reported when getting the replacement) and vice-versa.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013, 8:57pm

JayGo Said:

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask if anyone is having the same issue I am having with the new dual boiler machine.

I received a replacement.  Before the replacement, if I left the machine on for more than an hour, it would completely dry the portafilter.  I did not need to wipe out any moist before putting in the ground coffee.  However, with the new one, even after wiping out the portafilter completely dry, turning on the machine and leaving it on for a while makes the portafilter become moist and wet.  The longer you leave the machine on, the wetter the portafilter gets.  I am thinking that this should not be happening, but the tech support personnel at Breville was telling me that it is a condensation from brew head and it is normal.  I could not completely agree with him because if what he was telling me was true, than that makes my older machine faulty (or should I say faultier since that problem was not reported when getting the replacement) and vice-versa.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Posted August 13, 2013 link

If it doesn't affect the quality of the coffee, don't worry about it.
JayGo

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 7:29am

donner Said:

If it doesn't affect the quality of the coffee, don't worry about it.

Posted August 13, 2013 link

So, is your portafilter dry or wet???
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 7:45am

JayGo Said:

So, is your portafilter dry or wet???

Posted August 15, 2013 link

Slightly moist.  I don't bother drying it before adding the coffee.
JayGo

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 6:40pm

donner Said:

Slightly moist.  I don't bother drying it before adding the coffee.

Posted August 15, 2013 link

Thanks for the feedback.
If mine was just slightly moist, I would have not minded about it.
However, mine becomes dripping wet after a while (with out exaggeration, when I flip the portafilter over, good amount of collected water over time will drip down the portafilter).
That is the reason why I am trying to determine if mine is acting normal.
It just doesn't feel right to add coffee to the portafilter when the portafilter has that much water in it.
showing page 236 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.43189907074)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+