Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 145 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: HG-One, baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 5:59pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

doc, for better or for worse, the BDB is drawing a HUGE number of newbies asking not just BDB-specific questions but fair dinkum, newbie barista questions.  sounds like you are feeling some of the frustration of the constant barrage of such questions.  we all do, from time to time.  including richard/bubbadude.  i don't think it's too out of line for one of the more knowledgeable types to gruff a little before or after answering another newbie question for the umpteenth time... or lay low and not answer at all for a while.  that's what i do.  i ignore questions all the time that i have answers for, until, or unless the mood tickles me to say something.

sooo, pictures of the BDB gasket, eh?  you mean like the picture AM (Anger Management) put up on the crema forums just TODAY?  

-peter
 View Profile Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 6:14pm

dagoat Said:

sooo, pictures of the BDB gasket, eh?  you mean like the picture AM (Anger Management) put up on the crema forums just TODAY?  
-peter

Posted January 22, 2013 link

Please don't be specific, it spoils the "doctor's" fun. He and that other character (the one who tried to poison us with his DIY anti-scaling technique) like to leave 'em guessing when they imply that the BDB emits nuclear radiation.

Is it legal to link to that forum?

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 6:52am

benpiff Said:

...... What are your most successful PID settings for various roasts?

Posted January 22, 2013 link

I start with 203 for any very light roasts and 193 for any real dark roasts. That seems to work out well. For example, I roasted a Tanzania Pea Berry very light, where it was just shy of the second crack. I would *NEVER* recommend anyone pulling shots with that. Still, I tried it with the Breville pretty hot, 203 and it was wonderful.

Likewise with a very dark roast. I tried them in the low 190s and was pleasantly surprised that I could enjoy them.

That's just my personal guidelines. I generally avoid generalities (ha) but that's a good place to start. YMMV.
Contrabass_Bry
Contrabass_Bry

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 9:17am

Just got the BDB last night.

One niggle is the steam generation. It's a little light, but I can work with it. The real problem is that the steam isn't very dry. I has a rapid, periodic kind of chug (like a bead of water that keeps getting churned somewhere in the wand) that seems to spit out quite a bit of water. Anyone else have this issue or see a solution?

Even clearing the wand does not keep this from re-occurring.

Didn't quite get the Pharos dialed-in in the short time I spent with the machine. Did manage a 35sec shot (6sec pre-infusion @ 200deg)  that measured 36g from 18g of Barefoot Redcab that was 13 days old. Crema was not very long lasting (likely a function of it's age.) Tasted the same as it did brewed in a Moka Pot...punchy and bright.

How low of a dose has anyone gone with the double basket?

I would LOVE some advice on a "classic" espresso flavor profile blend (syrupy body, choc/caramel flavor). I think the Redcab may be brighter than I am accustomed. It would help me adjust if I knew what I was tasting for. This "brighter" flavor profile is not jibing with me currently.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 5:21pm

Contrabass_Bry Said:

I would LOVE some advice on a "classic" espresso flavor profile blend (syrupy body, choc/caramel flavor). I think the Redcab may be brighter than I am accustomed. It would help me adjust if I knew what I was tasting for. This "brighter" flavor profile is not jibing with me currently.

Posted January 24, 2013 link

You can significantly alter the flavor profile of your shots by changing the brew temp on your BDB (welcome to the club, BTW.) Try both a higher temp - say, 2 degrees higher than where you are - and a lower temp, four degrees down from the high one, and you'll be amazed by the difference.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
lowespresso
lowespresso
Expertise: I like coffee

Roaster: i-Roast 2
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:11pm

Hi. Another new BDB owner. Thanks for all the info posted here on CG.  I'm enjoying my new espresso machine and am starting to get pretty good results. I got the Breville naked portafilter and a ridgeless VST 18 basket. I like this basket as I can tamp without the tamper hitting the tapered narrow diameters of the stock baskets.  I wasn't able to get good microfoam steaming milk until I tried plugging two of the three holes on the steaming wand as someone mentioned; now it's easy to get great microfoam for my cappuccinos. In case any new owners wonder how to get out the black plastic insert in the OEM portafilter... I used a screw extractor and was able to get it out without scratching the portafilter.

lowespresso: extractor-collage-low-res.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:18pm

Why would they put that in there anyways?

lowespresso Said:

Hi. Another new BDB owner. Thanks for all the info posted here on CG.  I'm enjoying my new espresso machine and am starting to get pretty good results. I got the Breville naked portafilter and a ridgeless VST 18 basket. I like this basket as I can tamp without the tamper hitting the tapered narrow diameters of the stock baskets.  I wasn't able to get good microfoam steaming milk until I tried plugging two of the three holes on the steaming wand as someone mentioned; now it's easy to get great microfoam for my cappuccinos. In case any new owners wonder how to get out the black plastic insert in the OEM portafilter... I used a screw extractor and was able to get it out without scratching the portafilter.

Posted January 26, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:28pm

Iluvdabean Said:

Why would they put that in there anyways?

They know some people like to tinker, so they gave us a puzzle to solve.

TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 2:51pm

Contrabass_Bry Said:

Just got the BDB last night.

One niggle is the steam generation. It's a little light, but I can work with it. The real problem is that the steam isn't very dry. I has a rapid, periodic kind of chug (like a bead of water that keeps getting churned somewhere in the wand) that seems to spit out quite a bit of water. Anyone else have this issue or see a solution?

Welcome to the club, friend. I never had this issue. My steam has been dry from the start. Did you wait for it to heat up all the way before using it? I would contact Breville if you keep having issues.

Contrabass_Bry Said:

Perhaps, not necessarily the correct subject to be posting this question under, but it's in context enough. Haha. BubbaDude is dead on with the temp suggestion. If you still don't find Redcab to your liking, I would suggest checking out Counter Culture's Toscano.

-Dave-
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 4:46pm

Fascinating...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFods1KSWsQ

BubbaDude Said:

They know some people like to tinker, so they gave us a puzzle to solve.

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 145 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.516085863113)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+