Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 243 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 7:51pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

lowespresso Said:

My BDB stopped working properly a couple weeks ago, after 8 months of light usage. Pump pressure became progressively weaker independent of grind, etc. Breville customer support was very courteous and helpful. They had me run a couple shots with only double wall basket and verified that pump was not reaching adequate pressures.  They sent me a new machine. Hopefully it will last longer than first.

By the way, is there an easier way to post from an iPad? As I see it, once I type post I then have to scroll all the way down to bottom of page, which means scrolling through entire thread, before I can see button to submit post! Am I missing something?

Posted October 3, 2013 link

for the bdb, using double wall and blind basket will give you a reading of the pressure, the blind filter serves as a well packed coffee sort of

for the their someone here recently, had some issue on pointing address since the pages viewed differently perhaps ask him how it was able to solve it. otherwise the tech admin can help you out with the ipad

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yaacov

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 6:38am

hi there- this thread has been amazing as a new owner of the BDB.

my first machine had every single puck sticking and was replaced. the new one arrived this week and the pressure seems set too high, but not as high as the 13.5 that i'm seeing in the faulty pressure threads.

using a rocky grinder, set on around 7-8, the pressure consistently goes up to 10.5 or 11 and then settles around 9.5 towards the end of the shot. pulling sour and bitter shots obviously. i suppose i could use a courser grind, but that seems too course?

for those with rocky grinders paired with BDB, what settings are you normally using?

fwiw, using red bird at 17 grams for a shot. 198 degrees with stock/default pressure settings.

should i ask to have this machine replaced as well?

thank you so much.
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 8:18am

yaacov Said:

hi there- this thread has been amazing as a new owner of the BDB.

my first machine had every single puck sticking and was replaced. the new one arrived this week and the pressure seems set too high, but not as high as the 13.5 that i'm seeing in the faulty pressure threads.

using a rocky grinder, set on around 7-8, the pressure consistently goes up to 10.5 or 11 and then settles around 9.5 towards the end of the shot. pulling sour and bitter shots obviously. i suppose i could use a courser grind, but that seems too course?

for those with rocky grinders paired with BDB, what settings are you normally using?

fwiw, using red bird at 17 grams for a shot. 198 degrees with stock/default pressure settings.

should i ask to have this machine replaced as well?

thank you so much.

Posted October 5, 2013 link

use the double wall and the blind filter and then give us the reading for the gauge, if its more than 9.5 then tweak the back. if its 9.5 or 9 then its just ok. so try to check you beans, then your tamp.

yaacov

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 2:55pm

thanks.

just tried with the double dual wall and blind. pressed the double shot button and it peaked/stayed at 10.5/11.0 until the shot was over.

now what?
toiler

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville 990XL
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 3:49pm

yaacov,

I also just recieved a replacement (Ver B) and the OPV also is set at 10.5. Other than that it works better than the old one.

It is an easy adjustment.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ582qm4PMU

I tend to use more than 17g in my basket... 17.4 at the moment.
carz07
carz07

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 6:48pm

yaacov Said:

thanks.

just tried with the double dual wall and blind. pressed the double shot button and it peaked/stayed at 10.5/11.0 until the shot was over.

now what?

you will find in this thread a way how to open the back and loosen the pressure, that should give you either 9 or 9.5
how old is your beans?

carz07
carz07

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 6:50pm

toiler Said:

yaacov,

I also just recieved a replacement (Ver B) and the OPV also is set at 10.5. Other than that it works better than the old one.

It is an easy adjustment.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ582qm4PMU

I tend to use more than 17g in my basket... 17.4 at the moment.

this video

dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 8:55pm

yaacov Said:

17 grams is not enough for the stock Breville basket, even with a dark oily roast.  No wonder you get sticking pucks.  Sticking pucks are a symptom of a tapered wall basket that is under-dosed.  I rarely dose less than 18.5 grams into the Breville basket if the roast is dark, and up to 21 grams if the roast is really really light.  It seriously makes THAT much difference.  I would be surprised and disappointed if a well known brand like Red Bird were roasted too dark.  i would start with absolutely no less than 19.0g.  maybe 19.5g or 20g depending on how light the beans looked, (i roast my own, so i've never seen red bird).  I almost never use less than 20.0g on my own home roasts in the stock Breville basket.

-Peter
carz07
carz07

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 11:43pm

dagoat Said:

17 grams is not enough for the stock Breville basket, even with a dark oily roast.  No wonder you get sticking pucks.  Sticking pucks are a symptom of a tapered wall basket that is under-dosed.  I rarely dose less than 18.5 grams into the Breville basket if the roast is dark, and up to 21 grams if the roast is really really light.  It seriously makes THAT much difference.  I would be surprised and disappointed if a well known brand like Red Bird were roasted too dark.  i would start with absolutely no less than 19.0g.  maybe 19.5g or 20g depending on how light the beans looked, (i roast my own, so i've never seen red bird).  I almost never use less than 20.0g on my own home roasts in the stock Breville basket.

-Peter

19g up gives weight to the puck so it dont stick, this is what ive learned from bubbadude

couchman

Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 4:57am

carz07 Said:

do you weigh you beans, if your dosing is steady then its bean age
you do hit the shower head?
usually its a reverse, you hit 9bar and then slowly eases, or a back and forth - but these case starts low to 9bars not in between

what grinder are you using?

Posted October 3, 2013 link

I have a vario.

Problem solved
Finished the rest of the bag and bought fresh beans and bam no more problems.
Must of been the age.
Thanks again to evveryone for their input.
showing page 243 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.508045911789)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+