Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 238 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 7:18am
Subject: Re: Different baskets

sqroot3 Said:

I am considering getting a vst basket just to play with. my primary goal is to try lower doses of coffee and see what flavor profiles I get...

With the stock single-walled baskets, I am using 19-20g in the double and 17g in the single to get reasonable extractions. This dosing is partially (largely, I suppose) dictated by the fact that I need to put enough grinds into the basket to be able to tamp without bottoming out along the taper. The single basket, with its tiny extraction screen/small open area, is particularly difficult to dial in.

In your experience, which vst baskets have you found to be most successful, and at what doses? Or, do you have any suggestions for more traditional, straight-walled, non-vst baskets that accommodate lower doses while maintaining a reasonable headspace?

Posted August 18, 2013 link

17g seems pretty heavy for the Breville Single basket, most of us get about 13g in it to where it tamps okay. I find it to be a fussy basket myself.

Here's some perspective on the VSTs - "What exactly are VST baskets and are they worth it?"?Page=4

That will take you to the last page, you might want to read all of them. For me they left soggy pucks if you under dose them. Which is pretty minor all things considered. Since you're interested in not wasting espresso you might consider the 7gm VST basket and get a 40mm (or whichever one was correct) tamp base. That combo worked perfect for me, and the shots were delicious.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 7:29am

PrescottCR Said:

Since you're interested in not wasting espresso you might consider the 7gm VST basket and get a 40mm (or whichever one was correct) tamp base. That combo worked perfect for me, and the shots were delicious.

Posted August 19, 2013 link

isnt 7g too small at 1:2 normale you get 14g thats just half an ounce. what do you usual do with the 7g a lunggo?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:11am

No lungos, just normales in small americanos.

I'm a wholesale coffee roaster and I find this a good way to test roasts. The BDB can pull good shots from just about any roast, even light or dark roasts that wouldn't be palatable at stock temps.

Recently I've been back to the 18g basket and spouted PF because I make coffee for two every time... but the 7g worked well for that purpose for me when I only needed 1 shot. I have cafes that are always curious about doing singles shots, this is one way I can recommend for them.
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 3:22pm
Subject: Re: baratza preciso for breville dual boiler

carz07 Said:

in a manner of .00 in the scale, how many grams is in question? i pre weight my beans

is the fine setting able to choke the bdb? i mean do i still have few more clicks left for turkish?

When it's really off its as much as a half gram, more often it's 1 to 2 tenths. So far my grind has been above 8 on the nominal coarse grind scale, meaning I've lots of room to tighten things down and get talc if I need it. Seems like many of my home roasts are coming in around 18.7 to 19 grams to a double charge basket supplied with the 900. This gives me just enough cake to compress down to the tamp stop and gain 9 bar extractions. (and If I didn't say it: yes, yes you can stuff up the works perfectly well with how fine the preciso grinds. :) )
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 6:45pm

PrescottCR Said:

No lungos, just normales in small americanos.

I'm a wholesale coffee roaster and I find this a good way to test roasts. The BDB can pull good shots from just about any roast, even light or dark roasts that wouldn't be palatable at stock temps. .

ah small americanos ok, what i do with my 30g wet is add a little water sometime to prolong the drinking pleasure hehehe sometimes just half to an ounce.

a little off topic here both the 7g grind would be different from a 15g grind right? i mean even both are vst or of the same brand, when i pull at 7g to dial a shot then it means ive dialed it meant for a 7g, it will chance if i use 15g after right?

carz07
carz07

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 7:07pm
Subject: Re: baratza preciso for breville dual boiler

MerleApAmber Said:

When it's really off its as much as a half gram, more often it's 1 to 2 tenths. So far my grind has been above 8 on the nominal coarse grind scale, meaning I've lots of room to tighten things down and get talc if I need it. Seems like many of my home roasts are coming in around 18.7 to 19 grams to a double charge basket supplied with the 900. This gives me just enough cake to compress down to the tamp stop and gain 9 bar extractions. (and If I didn't say it: yes, yes you can stuff up the works perfectly well with how fine the preciso grinds. :) )

as long as there is still room to grind finer im ok with that hehehe i dont want to get into a scenario where you just cant do another turn to make fine enough hahahaha thanks

PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 8:46pm

That's the same question I was wondering.. can I use the same grind for both baskets? That would be great for customers looking to pull both singles and doubles. I believe I got pretty close, but I had to use two tampers. So if you want to spend the money on baskets and a second tamp, it can be done.
carz07
carz07

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 9:24pm

PrescottCR Said:

That's the same question I was wondering.. can I use the same grind for both baskets? That would be great for customers looking to pull both singles and doubles. I believe I got pretty close, but I had to use two tampers. So if you want to spend the money on baskets and a second tamp, it can be done.

so you mean it can be the same grind, but then the tamp can differ or adjusted. i would assume the 7g will be finer than whats mean for the 15g. so if i use the same grind set then would it mean i should tamp lighter on the 15g?

sqroot3

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:57pm

carz07 Said:

hi im using the 15g vst basket, since im going through different types of SO and blends. the reason why is that i want to lessen my waste. and with the straight wall i can tamp atleast 15lb

What typical dose are you using in the 15g vst, and how wet are your pucks?
sqroot3

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:03pm

PrescottCR Said:

17g seems pretty heavy for the Breville Single basket, most of us get about 13g in it to where it tamps okay. I find it to be a fussy basket myself.

Here's some perspective on the VSTs - "What exactly are VST baskets and are they worth it?"?Page=4

That will take you to the last page, you might want to read all of them. For me they left soggy pucks if you under dose them. Which is pretty minor all things considered. Since you're interested in not wasting espresso you might consider the 7gm VST basket and get a 40mm (or whichever one was correct) tamp base. That combo worked perfect for me, and the shots were delicious.

Thanks for the input. Man, getting another tamper (and even just dosing the vst 7g) seems like a hassle! I now have an old LM single, but any other options for single baskets?
showing page 238 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.515618801117)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+