Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 215 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
biochemgawd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 12:40pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

epengr Said:

My brand new machine doesn't seem to have the OPV set right - it maxes out at 14+.  I don't know if I should try to get it exchanged or just get my dose/grind tamp down.    It's WAY different for the DBD than for my Oscar, I have yet to dial it in.  Then again, the Oscar doesn't have a gauge so I'm suddenly juggling one more variable.

I'm torn...

(Hey, maybe I'll get a /B if I swap it...)

Posted May 15, 2013 link

If you want to adjust the OPV yourself, it isn't all that hard - maybe 20 minutes (http://nic.steve-tek.com/?page_id=180). Although, a cross-shipped swap is a pretty nice deal, especially if you get a newer version.
 View Profile Link to this post
JMFishtown
JMFishtown

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 3:37pm

I'd say go for the swap, there are a fair amount of advantages to having a late model A or a B: firmware, possibly new gasket, and no reason not to
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 4:48pm

epengr Said:

I'm just looking for a BDB specific FAQ/primer

Posted May 15, 2013 link

My point was that there IS nothing you need to know that is peculiar about the BDB.  Part of what is so good about the BDB.  It behaves like a commercial machine in that there is nothing about it that you need to compensate for.  It is all up to you and your Barista skill and know-how... To include knowing how to tell if your grinder is inadequate, and how to compensate for it if it is sub-optimal, but not a total loss (the smart grinder comes to mind).

-Peter
JMFishtown
JMFishtown

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 7:50am

I have a question: Does anyone have a Reg Barber Tamper? If so did you get just 58 mm?

I know each machine probably has minor variances but has anyone measured the basket with calipers?
PHM

Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 3:46pm
Subject: Re: Latte Art

Yes what coffeefan said seems to make sense.  I too have been unable to do latte art with the Breville Dual Boiler after several weeks now.  I have gotten close enough several times that I know it must be possible.  For me the problem seems to be I am not foaming the milk enough.  I'll only get "microfoam" at the end of the pour or something.  Of course I'm pretty new to this, so I still make other mistakes as well, such as with the shot, the grind, etc., etc.  But it does seem to me that you have to steam milk a certain way if using this Breville.  More time "expanding" is apparently needed than I was giving it, and I think you need to be careful with the quantity of the milk.  Too much won't work because the microfoam stays in the pitcher at the end.  Vigorous swirling of the pitcher before pouring doesn't seem to help.

Believe me, at this point I've tried pretty much everything to get latte art on the Breville Double Boiler (the reason I bought the machine).  But I still think I'll get it eventually and I keep on trying.  It's a great machine so I'm sure it will work.
PHM

Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 3:58pm

Wow i'm impressed with the posts here.  I was just looking back (haven't visited in a few days) and it's nice to see I'm at least visiting the right thread.  Thanks to those posting their latte art made with this machine.  It's very good encouragement to people like me.  I'm still not sure if I am under-expanding or over-expanding milk or making some other mistakes (my crema never seems that thick and breaks up easy) but my coffee skills have definitely improved since getting the BDB.
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 8:29am

JMFishtown Said:

I have a question: Does anyone have a Reg Barber Tamper? If so did you get just 58 mm?

I know each machine probably has minor variances but has anyone measured the basket with calipers?

Posted May 16, 2013 link

I have a Reg Barber 58 mm tamper.  It fits and works well with the Breville baskets - probably works better than the Breville tamper.  The longer wooden handle on the Reg Barber tamper gives a better grip and more control for tamping.  And coffee sticks a lot less to the Reg Barber stainless steel base than to the Breville tamper base.
epengr
epengr
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 10:29am

Coming down to the BDB from an NS Oscar, I"ve been able to get excellent microfoam and decent art right away.   I find the BDB WAY easier to steam with.  The Oscar's a brutal, unforgiving dragon, the DBD is nearly magical to me.

From what you describe, I'd suggest waiting 5-10s (15s?) before pouring, swirling very gently, if at all.  I find this gives the foam time to "set".  I think what's happening in the foam is slowly coming to the surface allowing you to pour the milk out form under it and have the foam come out last to draw with.  If you wait too long, you'll get a think "cappuccino"  cap in you pitcher that'll come out as a lump.  It's all in the timing.

I'm no expert, that's just what works for me.

epengr: cap.JPG
(Click for larger image)
epengr
epengr

Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 10:34am

dagoat Said:

My point was that there IS nothing you need to know that is peculiar about the BDB.  Part of what is so good about the BDB.  It behaves like a commercial machine in that there is nothing about it that you need to compensate for.  It is all up to you and your Barista skill and know-how... To include knowing how to tell if your grinder is inadequate, and how to compensate for it if it is sub-optimal, but not a total loss (the smart grinder comes to mind).

-Peter

Posted May 15, 2013 link

Really?  There's no BDB specific, useful information?

MFishtown:

"if you still have an A model pull out the black plastic in the bottom of your portafilter"

"do a chemical back flush only when the machine’s “clean me” cycle comes up

"Don’t use the volumetric buttons; they’re finicky and really don’t add much convenience."

"VST Baskets do fit in the stock portafilter all the way up to the 21g"

"No the lugs on the PF / Group Head do not match any other machines"

"Hot water comes from the BREW BOILER not the steam boiler, so if you open the hot water valve a tiny bit (i mean a tiny bit) you can do some pressure profiling on the shot"
epengr
epengr

Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 10:38am

JMFishtown Said:

Posted May 16, 2013 link

I haven't measured it, but I have a 58.4mm "Forty Ninth Tamper" that was sold to fit VST baskets "perfectly".  It fits the BDB stock basket just as well.

'cause good espresso comes down to microns and milliBar, right?  ;)
showing page 215 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.539129972458)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+