Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 196 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 7:33am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Your welcome...Steve

cuznvin Said:

Thanks Steve!

Posted April 24, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
PacoPackaPucka

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 7:40am

A little more of what I've found out regarding ordering from BBB:

It seems they will give you 20% off if you go into the store.  If you go into the store, they can order it for you and ship it to your house.  It does not seem like they actually stock the BDB in stores, as far as I've been able to tell.

I don't know whether they will give you 20% off if you order online.  If they are willing to do that, then of course there isn't much reason to go into the store.  Even less reason, if you don't end up paying sales tax when ordering online.

-Bill
 View Profile Link to this post
MattOwn

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Looking
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 8:49am

cuznvin Said:

You need to call retailers such as Clive. Dont go by what you see on their website.. Sur La Table, WS will be useless if you need help with the machine.

Well, "service" may be a bit of a stretch vs. CC, WLL, SCG, 1st, etc. But it seems they have been good at exchanging machines and they are local. Exchanging machines seems to be what Breville is good at as well. Just sayin'
jchung
jchung
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Twin, Breville...
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Breville...
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 8:52am

MattOwn Said:

Well, "service" may be a bit of a stretch vs. CC, WLL, SCG, 1st, etc. But it seems they have been good at exchanging machines and they are local. Exchanging machines seems to be what Breville is good at as well. Just sayin'

I also do like the more liberal return policy at WS and BBB. If I can get the price at either WS or BBB, I probably would have bought from them for this reason.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES920xl
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: Pour over: Melita Ceramic
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 8:53am
Subject: Re: what Chris said..

PrescottCR Said:

I'll second what Chris said. I hadn't seen the post her refers to by Phil McKnight but I have heard that same idea from other sources referring to every PF ever made with spouts. This is why you should leave the PF in the machine during use, and before use.

The bottomless is a nice addition. Less thermal mass to consider while making espresso. For me it also means a cleaner work place as the spouts on any standard PF drip. Not only that, they knock things over. Well, I knock things over with them.

So it's lighter, cleaner, smaller, aids in perfecting espresso technique, and for the clumsy among us- cleaner. It also makes for some cool pour pictures.

The only downside is if you need separate shots for some reason. Oh, and it cost money.

Posted April 23, 2013 link

For those interested in a full disclosure - beyond what we have gathered herewith and with all the warts associated with the BDB's history - and irregardless of attempts by pundits nearby to color an apple a sour egg - please refer to the longstanding discussion hosted by the folks in Australia who have had far longer history with Breville and the BES900xl.  Linkage for your ease of access "Coffeesnobs" Click Here (coffeesnobs.com.au)

Richard, I'm sorry I can't point you at the specific citation in that thread, I remember it was in the first 1/3, well before the half way point of their journey of commentary and thoughts.  

Oh, I'd be happy to speak coffee all day long, but I see some people spend more time on this thread than they do in the one they own and profess for.

And if I've exceeded my welcome - wipe my account and delete my history, no sense in leaving crud for the newbies who might get the wrong idea.
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 9:03am

This is my first post here.  

We bought a BDB - this is our third week using it.  So far so good!  The first few shots were not great, but after adjusting the pre-infusion time, grind, dose, and tamp, it produces excellent and totally predictable shots, time after time.  Contrast that with the lengthy routine needed for many of the mid-range Italian machines, and the value of the BDB becomes apparent.  I'm hoping that this is the beginning of a long and excellent history with the machine.

This is an A model - probably a mid to late one.  I spoke to Breville Canada and they told me that they had not received a new shipment of machines since the spring of 2012.  I did buy it from an on line retailer in Montreal (not sure if I can mention their name as they aren't a site sponsor).  The on line retailer might get their stock from another source than Breville Canada, so it might be later production than early 2012.  Anyway, it must have a number of the improvements as it has none of the quirks described in the thread above.  The portafilter locks securely and stays in place, at just before the 90 degree point.  All the electronics work well without any foul-ups.  Had I read many of the above posts before buying, I might not have placed the order.  As usual with many things, internet horror stories do not accurately depict many persons' good experiences.

For whatever reason, the BDBs seem priced quite well in Canada.  Breville lists them at about $1400, but many retailers sell for substantially less.  An extra 10% off Easter discount made the buying decision easy.  I can't think of another machine half as good for the money.  Not long after buying it, another seller had them on for $699, but that price disappeared after a few days; it might have been a listing error.  

For a grinder, I'm using a Vario-W.  The built in weigh scale is a really nice feature and works well.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES920xl
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: Pour over: Melita Ceramic
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 5:22pm

Welcome to the journey David, all the best to you, your family, and your new toy. :)
Chris
mrpink

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 7:47am

Hi folks,

Just a little question here

Is the time displayed on the lcd on your machines even if the power button is not pressed?

Mike
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 9:27am

mrpink Said:

Hi folks,

Just a little question here

Is the time displayed on the lcd on your machines even if the power button is not pressed?

Mike

Posted April 25, 2013 link

No, when the power is off the display is blank.
mrpink

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 10:00am

selzoc Said:

No, when the power is off the display is blank.

Posted April 25, 2013 link

Thanks for confirming, I just moved houses and for some reason thought it used to display...memory is playing tricks on me.
showing page 196 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.466706991196)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+