Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JPF

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 8:50am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra E61 HX - $995!

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Ernesto, welcome to CG!  How are things on "the Plantation"?  

As with all machines of this type, it needs to be thermally stable in order to yield its best.  One way to get around the long warm-up time (I'm guessing, based upon other HX machines, you're looking at a good 45-75 minutes) is to use an appliance timer -- something like this for instance.  Just set it to turn the machine on approx. an hour or so before you get up in the morning, and you can walk right into your kitchen, and start pulling shots!

Cheers,
Jason

Posted December 14, 2011 link

I checked out the link and noticed this is a 5 amp timer, but please be aware you need a 15 amp timer.

John

Living the caffeinated life.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 9:10am

Quite right!  Good catch -- thanks, John.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 9:16am

Hi All,

For prosumer and commercial machines, we do ask customers to sign the invoice. This has been a practice for over three years. We know it is a hassle, but it makes everything clear to customers in terms or reporting damages, missing items, returns, etc. We started this procedure for a few reasons: a) first, it weeded out those folks who would order stuff using stolen credit cards, b) it made clear of the terms and conditions of sale for prosumer machines, and c) it weeded out those who wanted to show off a high quality machine for a weekend party and then return it on Monday (which leads to higher prices for everyone). When we move over to our new online system next year, this process will change to remove the hassle.

As for the bottomless portafilter, this is the one that will work
Click Here (www.1st-line.net)

As of right now, due to the bargain basement price on this machine, we are not offering any grinder package deals with this specific machine. We do hope customers reward us with purchasing a grinder fro the savings we have garnered for them on this purchase.

If the unit arrives wet from the manufacturer testing with water, please allow to air dry for minimum 24 hours. I know this is difficult to do with a new toy, but Mark prince had to do it when he purchased the Livia from us back in the day.

Finally, as for start up, please inspect the water softener in the reservoir - really import! Slide it off the intake hose and check for any loose resins that may have come out during shipping. Make note which hose is the intake hose. Fill the reservoir and place back in the machine without the water softener. For the first time, please open both hot water and steam valves. Plug the electrical cord in the outlet and power on. Make sure the intake hose always remains submerged in water and does not allow any air to get in, which would create an air pocket in the pump. The machine will take up to 90 seconds to fill the internal boiler. While filling, you can squeeze the intake between your fingers. If you get a different sound, it usually means it is filling. If not, you have an air pocket in the pump and then you need to call Moses with a turkey baste filled with cold water in your hand.

Upon completion of the boiler fill, lift the grouphead lever to fill the heat exchanger with water.

You can email my sales address for the instructions to recharge the water softener (please make sure to include your invoice number). Once recharged, you can place it back on the intake hose. Recharge it once a month and replace once a year.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:25am

Is the water softener needed if you already have soft water? We have water kettles that have been used for years and there is no sign of any mineral build up. Our glass shower doors have no sign of any mineral problem. From what I've read, water can be too soft for espresso.
Rob55
Rob55

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:47am

Thank you for the info Jim. I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining, I was just a bit frustrated because I had no easy way to print-fax the invoice. I bought from you guys last time... invoice says Oct 8, 2010 and for about the same amount as this time. So it shows I am quite happy with 1st line or I would have shopped elsewhere. I am certain I had to do the invoice thing last time too... I just don't remember it.

Tracking says it will be here Thurs. I pushed the BUY button on Sunday....so 4 days total is awesome service... THANKS

JASON .. I was hoping you would weigh in on this machine before I bought it. When I bought the Lelit and Vario they were your suggestions (as well as some others here). I made my choice at that time based mostly on posts made by you. I was fairly limited for cash at that time and I was VERY happy with those choices. Had you posted here something like ... "I wouldn't buy it, its too new to the market" ... I would have passed I think. Anyhow its too late now.. I am an owner... LOL     However.... I would still be interested in any thoughts you had on this machine. I read on here a lot even though I don't often post. I bought the Blue Jaguar coffee after reading your post on it and I have bought over 10lbs of it already and love it. So far all your recommendations I have taken have been spot on. (hmm ... now that I think about it, it was the Sweet Blue you posted about which I also like a lot)

I also have softened water as well as a RO outlet at the sink. I think I read somewhere NOT to use RO water for espresso, but I have been doing so for 14 months with no problems.
shmulibaby

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rossi RR45, Krups Conical
Drip: Melitta single cup
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:18pm

scanfield Said:

Is the water softener needed if you already have soft water? We have water kettles that have been used for years and there is no sign of any mineral build up. Our glass shower doors have no sign of any mineral problem. From what I've read, water can be too soft for espresso.

Posted December 14, 2011 link

I have the same question. Is this like the BDB where you have to use the filter (not sure if it's also a softener) or can this softener simply be removed and is just offered as an option. Hoping the machine can be used without the softener.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 2:29pm

Rob
RO water in a SBDU will not cause problems other than flat tasting espresso.
In a machine that uses electronics to monitor the water level in the boiler and in the holding tank, RO water will not conduct electricty so the sensors will not "see" the water and you will have problems.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Epson

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 2:45pm

ok so here's my experience with my purchase.

placed order on saturday with a card that hadn't been activated yet (my fault)

realized on monday what i had done and call them.

they tell me the order went through (laugh)

then they say they didn't know because they don't charge the card until they get a signature(they never sent me a request,not in spam filter either) so they resend it and i get it.  Sent it back using parents charge card(they redid the order for me)

no response on monday

no response on tuesday

sent a email, and i resend/fax signature, and write on the cover page to email me or call me to let me know the status ect, i list those addresses as well.

4:30pm wensday still no response.

call and find out my order had been shipped on tuesday.  I ask them why i havn't been getting any emails/aka updates on all this and real quick they say its because the order is under a different name then switch me over real quick to someone else for tracking info.

so  bit ruff but glad its over, my only question to 1stline, and im asking here because well you don't respond to any of my emails is, am i going to have any trouble getting support/service from you guys in the future?  more specifically, due to it being under someone elses name?  the signature page did have my name under the purchasers name.

anyways i hope before the next time i need to contact you guys that you have your email and office situation sorted out because its pretty rough for your customers, or for me at least.

other than that i am happy with shipping time and the purchase so far, i just never knew what the status of my order was the entire time so very confusing.

oh and i guess this means im screwed out of my rewards points then right?  since my account order still says "processing"? .....:(
Rob55
Rob55

Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 4:59pm

Thanks Wayne. I knew about the electronics part of it and luckily it didn't come into play with my machine. I didn't know if it would on this one or not, but if it contributes to poor espresso I will not use the RO from now on. This just shows what level I am at. LOW ... LOL .... I still consider myself a rank newbie even though I been making espresso since 1988. Well .... what I was making was NOT good or even real espresso, but I thought it was back then.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 5:39pm

Rob don't worry its all good. ;-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 6 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.443361997604)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+