Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Brera Espresso Machine advice please before I bite the bullet
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brera Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Mon Dec 5, 2011, 5:31pm
Subject: Brera Espresso Machine advice please before I bite the bullet

Hi,
I have had semi automatic espresso machines (various ones, Saeco Aroma (junk), La Pavoni Lusso and lastly the Gaggia Classic) over the last 10 years.  I have not been thrilled with any of their performances to be perfectly honest.  I called Whole Latte Love and they are trying to convince me into buying a super automatic--one in particular which is about $849 with the 20% off---the Gaggia Brera unit.  Can anyone tell me if they think I'd be making a mistake biting the bullet on a super automatic or if I should just stick with the semi automatic????
I use my Gaggia Classic with my MDF grinder.  Not thrilled with the MDF either as I probably need a grind at about 3 1/2 and it only grinds in whole increments.  They say the Classic is grind friendly.  Not so much.... I'm doing the correct grind and tamping.  Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 7:02am
Subject: Re: Brera Espresso Machine advice please before I bite the bullet

Linda,

Any superautomatic is going to be a giant step backwards.  Since you are not happy with the performance of  your current machine, I doubt the Brera will make you happy.

Fred
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 7:50am

I find your reference to several espresso machines as junk and others as lacking ..... interesting since you don't want to list a grinder in your equipment list, yet you reference a MDF in your post.

Any pre ground coffee is going to be hard to work with and will always yield sub par results.
The MDF is not a great grinder, it can be passable but it is bottom of the list when you start talking about espresso grinders.

Honestly, if you don't want to buy and use a good grinder, then WLL may just be on target, at least, you will be grinding before each shot with a grind that will at least be in the ball park of drinkable.

Your Classic will give you MUCH better results if you took HALF of the money you are looking at spending for a new machine and buy a grinder with it.

Then again, YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chanty

Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 8:58am

calblacksmith,
I really don't know where you are referencing that I "don't list a grinder in my equipment list"....I stated I had a Gaggia MDF.   I also have not a clue on what you mean by preground coffee being hard to work with--as I DO NOT USE preground.  I grind my own beans....with my MDF....and now my new Vario.  So why the lecture and terse undercurrent on 99% of statements I didn't make?  I never said that all the espresso machines I have used are "junk", just the Saeco Aroma--& I stand by that assessment.
I had a question initially on the super automatic that a cust. rep at WLL was trying to sell me.  I changed my mind after "talking" to a number of members here.  This is a site to ask questions AND get information AND give information, right?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 10:55am

Chanty Said:

I grind my own beans....with my MDF....and now my new Vario.

Posted December 12, 2011 link

And you want a super-automatic???

OK, let's take it from the top . . .

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Chanty

Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:52pm

No, I no longer want a super automatic machine.  After talking to a number of people, I understand the shots are awful compared to the machine I have, and I don't need a grinder as I have a Vario (which I'm trying now very hard  to work with my Classic).....so again no longer have any desire for a super.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 1:07pm

Take a look to the left side of your screen.
Look under your picture (or where your picture would be if you set one up), and name.
there is a list of equipment that you own,
In the spot for grinder, you have NONE.
Under Vac Pot you have NONE
Under drip you have NONE
Under roaster you have NONE

EDIT, at the time of this post, that was the current state of things. END EDIT

That list of equipment helps a LOT when trying to understand where a poster is coming from, what they understand, how "deep" they are into the rabbit hole of espresso. By not filling in those spaces and worse yet listing NONE, the natural starting point is that you do not have a grinder. After re-reading the thread I saw the reference to the MDF, a starter grinder, not preground and much better than pre ground but still leaving a lot of room for improvement.

In neither your list or in your post do you reference the Vario.

Though I have long ago move on from SBDU machines, the Aroma is not JUNK, it is what it is, a starter class, no frills SBDU machine. Perhaps it was not what you were looking for when you bought it but it is a well built starter machine.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chanty

Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 1:18pm

I just re-edited my profile.  I had no idea that you were looking at my profile to guage what equip. I own.  When I originally joined Coffeegeek, I had a La Pavoni at the time and way back then I was buying preground coffee, so I did not own a grinder.... That was about 6 years ago.  A lot (eqpt.-wise) has changed since then, and I never updated my profile stuff, cuz to be perfectly honest, I never ever thought of doing that.  Didn't think anyone looks at someone's profile--cuz I don't.  I would just try to answer the question they are asking at face value.  I never brought up the Vario--because at the time of posting, I didn't own it yet.  I did mention I owned the MDF in my original question.
Chanty

Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 1:22pm

Oh, and just one last thing.   I did not like the Saeco Aroma that I owned for less then 2 years.  I never abuse my equipment, and first the thermostats both burnt out.  Next the pump did....all in the matter of less than 2 years and taking care of it.   When a machine gives me multiple big problems in a short amount of time I'm not impressed.  Maybe I had a lemon, who knows, but I moved on.  I understand a home espresso machine will never be equal to a commercial machine.  They truly are what they are, and the grinder really makes or breaks the machine.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 1:24pm

Chanty Said:

.....so again no longer have any desire for a super.

Posted December 12, 2011 link

Well, that's at least one step in the right direction.  OTOH, I have no idea (now) what you're looking for.  Care to answer the standard questions???

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brera Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.409821033478)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+