Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Rob55
Rob55
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Fri Dec 9, 2011, 9:52pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra E61 HX - $995!

I have been thinking of upgrading. I have a Lelit PL41QE. Would this be a good upgrade for me? I was figuring to upgrade next year at some point, but the e-mail from 1st line with this special in it caught my attention.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance
 View Profile Link to this post
Epson

Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 3:57am

just pulled the bullet on this deal.  Was pulling my hair out over this and the BDB, finally just decided this machine having a e61 makes it slightly more known reliability wise, and overall this machine looks like it will hold its value better so if im not happy i can just sell it down the road most likely at a profit.  and by then the BDB will actually have some real reviews.  in the end i really wanted a rocket and when i think of a BDB i think well i might end up wanting to upgrade later on, but with this machine it seems hard to justify such an action for some reason.  i guess i just get a weird feeling from the other machine hard to explain.  i just hope the red/green logo isn't 2 annoying on this machine feels a bit 2 much like soccer lol
Dirtboy6

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 4:20pm

I will be doing the same thing.  Looks like I have made my mind up too..  Thanks for all the help and opinions. I would really like to see a video on the machine just the simple ends and outs...
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 8:36pm

Me too. :) I'm getting this machine with a Vario grinder. From what I've read, this should be a considerable upgrade from my Mr. Coffee. I'm still tempted by the CC1 though because of Bill Crossland. I'm really not certain which is the better machine.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 5:33am

Which is better for you is something only you can decide but this is a better class of machine than the cc1

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 7:29am

scanfield Said:

Actually, the Cuadra has been around for a few years now. There are YouTube videos of it pulling a shot from 2009.

The MSRP of the BDB is actually $1500 (according to Williams-Sonoma). The case of the BDB is all stainless steel while the Cuadra has plastic sides. So, in at least one aspect, the BDB comes out ahead. Personally, the case isn't a big deal to me though.

Posted December 9, 2011 link

It is new to the U.S. hence the "Introductory special" Brevilles own site lists the price at $1199.99 If they don't know what they are recommending selling it for, who does? http://www.brevilleusa.com/beverages/espresso.html

The "stainless steel" on the BDB is little more than SS foil, not solid sheets of SS at all.

As much as I am trying to keep an open mind on the BDB while waiting to play with it, the history of quality or should I say the history of the LACK of quality in the U.S. market from Brevele would have me go for the Cuadra in a heart beat over the BDB if I had to choose right now.

You have to laugh at the "reviews" posted on the BDB site! This is extracted from the FIRST review on the B site.
"I keep on pulling perfect shots at 9 bars and get 2 oz in 30 seconds. I am using Lavazza "perfetto espresso" ground coffee, which seems to be the perfect grind size. The Smart Grinder should come in within a few days, but I don't see how it can get any better. The espresso I pulled (see the pictures I posted) is as perfect as I've ever had anywhere, even in coffee shops in Italy from freshly roasted and ground coffee."

How is that for the unknowing showing just how much they "know"

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

SHCoffee
SHCoffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Wega/Compak K3 Elite
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:43am

calblacksmith Said:

The "stainless steel" on the BDB is little more than SS foil, not solid sheets of SS at all.

Posted December 12, 2011 link

Actually, it's not "foil"; it is, in fact, stainless steel sheet.  No, it won't stop a bullet; but it is reasonably hardy material.

calblacksmith Said:

How is that for the unknowing showing just how much they "know"

Yeah, I hate that.

OP:  The Cuadra is a nice looking machine.  If it compares favorably to the Rocket, it seems like screaming good deal.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 1:37pm

SHCoffee Said:

Actually, it's not "foil"; it is, in fact, stainless steel sheet.  No, it won't stop a bullet; but it is reasonably hardy material.

Yeah, I hate that.

OP:  The Cuadra is a nice looking machine.  If it compares favorably to the Rocket, it seems like screaming good deal.

Well, I guess the way we look at things like thickness of material has a lot to do with where we come from. While foil was a bit of an overstatement (or would that be an UNderstatement ???) it wasn't by much.

I work in the metals industry and I can tell you for a fact that any stainless steel "sheet" you can emboss your name in, isn't very thick.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 2:21pm

Two things to note on the Cuadra.  The side panels are not stainless steel, but chromed plastic.  From 1st line's website:

Body: Polished chrome colored plastic side panels, stainless steel satin finish back panel, and front face polished vertical body panel (see pictures below)

That probably explains why it's lighter than other E61s.  

Also, Jim from 1st line noted on HB that the price will go up, but not to $1600.

John

Living the caffeinated life.
shmulibaby

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Rossi RR45, Krups Conical
Drip: Melitta single cup
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 2:30pm

I just pulled the trigger on one. 1st Line said they will be stocking parts as well even though it's not on the website yet and their reputation is generally solid. Barring one of those barely used giveaway deals on craigslist, i couldn't imagine beating this deal on a new or even like new machine. For the price of an Oscar, Silvano, or BZ02, there wasn't a good enough reason to not get one if you're in the market for an entry level HX machine (or the Silvano). And as for the BDB, why spend the same amount on what we can really only call an unknown qauntity as of now (with scattered reports of weak steam). Anyway, that's how I thought about it (er rationalized it).
showing page 3 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.397058963776)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+