Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 74 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 3:05pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

cuznvin Said:

For what the manufactures are selling their machines for they should be notifying the retailers.If they are told their line is going to be dropped then I'll bet they start communicating better. To me it shows arrogance and laziness on the manufacturers part.

Posted January 17, 2013 link

The last sentence states it all! We completed the change on our web site within 12 hours of notification.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
doug_s

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: livia 90 & gaggia classic
Grinder: baratza vario & preciso
Drip: bodum french press
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 7:31pm

1stline Said:

The last sentence states it all! We completed the change on our web site within 12 hours of notification.

Posted January 17, 2013 link

sorry, i figured you would have realized there were no insulated boilers on the latest cuadra v2's before that...

best,

doug s.
 View Profile Link to this post
washburned

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza vario
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 7:47pm

He was not aware of the change until I told him as far as I could tell.

On another note I think I am finally getting used to the machine. I am consistently getting good shots and the steaming is coming along too.
gustavus

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 4:18pm

Hello all,

I've recently become addicted to trying to make the "perfect" shot of espresso.  This started because I was in a small cafe in Seattle that made amazing good coffee, and I realized that my daily *$ doppio was frankly subpar.  I have a machine already, but it's not exactly high end.  It may not even be low end.  It (well probably I) is (am) making very sour shots, and one of the reasons I suspect is that the boiler is so small that after a couple of seconds the heat drops and the boiler kicks back on.  And of course technique, of lack thereof, I'm sure has a lot to do with it (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYGXN4gJ94 )

This has started me on my search for quality hardware such that I'll be able to know for certain that I'm definitely the problem, and not the machine.  And I've come to think that given my budget, the Cuadra is the best value out there.

Is there a consensus amongst owners that this machine has provided consistency and longevity?

Also, I see three versions listed.  I understand the price difference in the all stainless unit (i actually prefer the red version looks wise), but what is the difference between the two units priced $50 apart?

Would a Rancilio Rocky be an appropriate companion?

Any pointers would be much appreciated!
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 4:24pm

gustavus Said:

Hello all,

I've recently become addicted to trying to make the "perfect" shot of espresso.  This started because I was in a small cafe in Seattle that made amazing good coffee, and I realized that my daily *$ doppio was frankly subpar.  I have a machine already, but it's not exactly high end.  It may not even be low end.  It (well probably I) is (am) making very sour shots, and one of the reasons I suspect is that the boiler is so small that after a couple of seconds the heat drops and the boiler kicks back on.  And of course technique, of lack thereof, I'm sure has a lot to do with it (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYGXN4gJ94 )

This has started me on my search for quality hardware such that I'll be able to know for certain that I'm definitely the problem, and not the machine.  And I've come to think that given my budget, the Cuadra is the best value out there.

Is there a consensus amongst owners that this machine has provided consistency and longevity?

Also, I see three versions listed.  I understand the price difference in the all stainless unit (i actually prefer the red version looks wise), but what is the difference between the two units priced $50 apart?

Would a Rancilio Rocky be an appropriate companion?

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Posted January 19, 2013 link

Which grinder are you using?
gustavus

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 4:39pm

cuznvin Said:

Which grinder are you using?

That shot was pulled with Lavazza pre-ground, which I'm sure is probably not what I want for a good shot. :)  I have a Krupps GVX-1, but it grinds so inconsistently that I had constant channeling.  It'll be going back to Costco.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 4:41pm

gustavus Said:

That shot was pulled with Lavazza pre-ground, which I'm sure is probably not what I want for a good shot. :)  I have a Krupps GVX-1, but it grinds so inconsistently that I had constant channeling.  It'll be going back to Costco.

I know all the experts here are going to tell you that your problem is with the preground coffee and grinder
cruizie

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 5:36pm

Gustavus, the Cuadra II was my first decent espresso machine and I've been very happy with it.  I've had it for several months but not long enough to speak to its longevity.  There are only 2 things I didn't really like on the machine.  The first is the lack of a way to monitor the water level easily.  I solved this issue by following the lead of another member and using an external tank.  The other issue for me was the steaming tip.  I hate the 2 hole tip that comes with the machine.  I've gotten much better results with one of the holes plugged.

As far as the grinder is concerned, I HIGHLY recommend the Vario.  I purchased mine on Ebay.  New and delivered for $325 about 2 months ago.  There's a seller that changes the price quite often but just make an offer.  Not sure if I caught them with a large inventory or why they accepted such a low offer but I've been extremely happy with the purchase.  If you can get the Vario for close to this price, you won't be disappointed.

Hope this helps a little!
tigermilk

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:20am

cruizie Said:

The other issue for me was the steaming tip.  I hate the 2 hole tip that comes with the machine.  I've gotten much better results with one of the holes plugged.

As far as the grinder is concerned, I HIGHLY recommend the Vario.  

I've got the 4 hole tip and once you get the hang of it it is fantastic.  I'm always getting a nice torrent of milk going in the pitcher.

For a grinder, I haven't used the Vario, but I did buy a different Baratza.  Was not happy.  Bought a Mazzer Mini and everything jumped a few notches.  Now the only issue is consistency in my commercially bought beans.  I get the same vendor and always buy 1-3 days post-roast.  Yet the last 3-4 16 ounce batches have cycled between being fairly "dry" and having a heavier coat of oil.
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 7:43am

Guys,

Just found this on 1st-Line's site:

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

Anyone know exactly what this is for?
showing page 74 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (8.18283390999)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+