Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 105 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 12:15pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

MDiddy Said:

Just to clarify, with the machine cool, I should be able to open the steam valve be able to blow through it.  But a sucking pressure should stop it?  Correct?

Posted May 9, 2013 link

Tested this out last night and worked just like you said it would.   Blowing through the wand, I actually heard the normal noise made by the AntiVac valve when the machine begins to heat.
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 8:03am

Heres my machine deep in the bean mine.....laboring to extract the nectar of the Java.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ATxw7jrzk
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 12:55pm

Yes.  I wanted to use a different word when I first wrote that, but the fact is the fact.  Using  "Suck" is the best way to ensure we understand each other.  With the machine fully cooled at rest take the hoses that lead away from that multivalve out of that drain channel on the front wall.
One hose you will not be able to blow or suck through. That's the safety relief in case your boiler ever goes over 1.6Bar.   The other hose you should be able to both blow and suck gently through. That's the breather valve ensuring your boiler returns to atmospheric pressure when it cools off completely.  That one should slam shut when you suck harder.  Ie, once the boiler is boiling and the water is expanding into steam, the flow out through that valve is enough to slam it shut.

The failure to heat fully issue that these machines experience from time to time is when that valve doesn't open back up to atmosphere when the machine is at rest.  Then pressure remains trapped in the boiler.  The pump comes on, increases the water in the boiler, reducing the air/steam pocket above and making it worse, then the pressostat thinks it's boiled itself up to a good pressure and it stops heating prematurely.

Clean that valve up, either by forcing a bit of citric acid through it and rinsing it, or physically disassembling it for serious cleaning.
If disassembling be careful of three things...
1: The curved pipe on the boilertop with the compression fitting ends is fragile, don't kink, twist or break it.
2: The safety relief side of it should probably not be messed with. If it doesn't leak now, leave it.
3: The little spring and spring loaded parts inside your breather valve are going to disappear the moment they escape. The spring will fly across the room and remain hidden until your cat eats it. Disassemble the valve slowly and carefully on a dishtowel with it pointed into the palm of your hand as you unscrew the cap the last turn.
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 9:08am

Iluvdabean Said:

Heres my machine deep in the bean mine.....laboring to extract the nectar of the Java.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ATxw7jrzk

Posted May 11, 2013 link

Looking tasty!

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 8:49am

Its nice to see the number of these machines Jims selling over at 1stLine. When I bought mine a couple of months ago he was down to 58 I think and now hes at 42.
At this  introductory price these are a real bargain I also had to go back a lot of pages to find this thread so i guess. No activity is a good thing in one way,people are
just using their machines and enjoying the heck out of them. Mines still doing great and its been dialed in the from the onset.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 9:07am

Earlier we learned the owner of the company had passed on. Any news on changes to face the company? Also the name issue with E61
and Fameas request to not use it anymore. Any news there?

1stline Said:

Most others have an e61 that are after market. There is an Italian company that makes these after market one for most other companies. Right now, I am not sure who owns the patent. I have visited the Vibiemme facility in Italy, and they do not produce theirs themselves. They are made by someone else to their specifications.

A Cimbali/Faema dealer called here several weeks ago and advised that Cimbali/Faema will be sending letters to all those that reference 'e61' in their products to stop advertising as such. I am not about the validity of this. I have seen some Spanish machines that reference the e61 and noted sometimes as eb61. When inspected closely, there are small differences and I 'believe' these are manufactured by a Spanish after market supplier.

Posted April 18, 2013 link

Kapjot
Kapjot

Espresso: Cuadra V1, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 10:26pm

I really like my red Cuadra V1 that I recently bought at 1st-line. I have been using it now for a few weeks and have no problem producing excellent espresso shots. Also the microfoam I am able to produce with this machine is worthy of latte art. I opted for the V1 version because I really like the powerful steaming of a 4-hole tip. The no-burn wand comes with a 2-hole tip since the steam is somewhat restricted by the narrower tube. Also 1-st line does not offer the V2 in red.

This machine has a much easier learning curve than my trusty old miss Silvia. I also looked at the Breville Dual Boiler (BDB) and even though it looks like a great machine I am happy that I opted for the Cuadra. It's just more fun when there is still a certain art to making a good shot of espresso. I call my Cuadra my 'Ferrari' because it is capable of producing excellent shots but also has some temperament. And just like Ferraris it will probably break down once a while. But, hey, that is no problem since parts are mostly standard and are widely available.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 6:58am

Kapjot Said:

I really like my red Cuadra V1 that I recently bought at 1st-line. I have been using it now for a few weeks and have no problem producing excellent espresso shots. Also the microfoam I am able to produce with this machine is worthy of latte art. I opted for the V1 version because I really like the powerful steaming of a 4-hole tip. The no-burn wand comes with a 2-hole tip since the steam is somewhat restricted by the narrower tube. Also 1-st line does not offer the V2 in red.

This machine has a much easier learning curve than my trusty old miss Silvia. I also looked at the Breville Dual Boiler (BDB) and even though it looks like a great machine I am happy that I opted for the Cuadra. It's just more fun when there is still a certain art to making a good shot of espresso. I call my Cuadra my 'Ferrari' because it is capable of producing excellent shots but also has some temperament. And just like Ferraris it will probably break down once a while. But, hey, that is no problem since parts are mostly standard and are widely available.

Posted May 19, 2013 link

Cool - welcome to the thread. Sounds like you are doing well with yours.

Just FWIW - the Rocket steam tips will fit the no burn wand and there are choices of 4 hole, 3 hole, 2 hole, etc.
twmv

Espresso: cuadra 2
Grinder: vario
Vac Pot: yama
Drip: technivorm
Roaster: hottop b
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 12:47pm

ive had mine just over a month now. much more consistent results than with the lelit i had previously.  most shots have been exceptional. with all the flushing and  an occasional americano   i go through water pretty fast. been thinking of trying the large jar for water setup  shown below that someone posted. cant remember if i saw that here or elsewhere. ive  had  a little  trouble getting art worhty milk. tastes great tho. am very happy with my machine

twmv: water for cuadra.jpg
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 9:14pm

Adding the water jar was the best thing I've done to my Cuadra. Don't know how the pic will show but this is my setup. I only have to fill it maybe 3 times a month instead of every couple of days. And I hated not being able to see the water level. I highly recommend making the change.

cruizie: PicsArt_1365247568090.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 105 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426957845688)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+