Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 119 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 8:53pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

How difficult would it be to install a switch for the heating element?

I'm trying to make flushing the boiler easier. I'd like to be able to do the following:

• heat up the machine
  • turn off the heating element and then the entire machine
  • use the hot water outlet to drain as much water as I can from the boiler
  • turn the machine back on to engage the refill pump (but the element is still off)
  • once the boiler is full, turn the heating element back on

I was talking this over with a friend and he suggested that if I drained the boiler as much as possible with the machine off, I could just wait for it to cool a bit before turning it back on. The boiler would refill before the heating element got hot and so the chances of any damage is negligible. I think he's right, but I would feel better if I could cut power to the heating element entirely.
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 4:22am

Seacoffee Said:

Moving the question here to get attention of Cuadra experts.

When I turned on my machine this evening to make coffee I noticed the boiler pressure gauge stayed at 0. The grouphead was warm, but not at operating temperature.
Since there was no pressure, there was no steam or hot water coming out of either wand.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on?

Posted October 2, 2013 link

Now that it's in this thread, read this thread.
There'll be a hundred references by now about hitting the relay, replacing the relay or upgrading the relay.
Your relay is burning out.
SStones
SStones

Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 4:33am

scanfield Said:

How difficult would it be to install a switch for the heating element?

Posted October 2, 2013 link

Incredibly easy.
You could, in fact, replace the little green 'On' light with a dual-circuit illuminated push button (Where the bulb is not directly wired to the switch contacts, like the "Steam Button" in Faema Family).  Let the bulb circuit still work as an "On" light, while the contacts open and close the "Always Live" wire to the pressostat. (Because it's lower currant than the always live to the relay-load, the switch will last forever on the low currant).

Only difficulty there would be finding the 4-pole dual circuit type switch in the small (1/2 inch) pilot hole the green bulb occupies, or drilling and enlarging that hole.
Or, you could just drill another hole and leave the green light as is.
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 7:18am

slybarman Said:

Jim - disregard. It has not repeated. I am thinking maybe I just spilled water on it when I was filling the tank or something. If it happens again, I will give you a call.

Posted September 29, 2013 link

Drip wad back this morning and was definitely a leak. Looks like I will be replacing some seals. Do these seals get replaced through that arm or through the mushroom atop the brewhead.
Seacoffee

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 10:27am

Why would the relay be burning out? The machine is less than 6 months old and I usually make an average of 2 coffees in the morning.

Note this morning I turned it on again and the grouphead was HOT at operating temperature, but no pressure.
elliottrosenberg

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 1:09am

Hi all;
I'm having the same problem in that a few days ago I turned the machine on and no heat or pressure. I opened the machine up to check the relay assuming the relay had burnt out and low and behold, it wasn't there. (Maybe Australia has a different version.) Any ideas?
SStones
SStones

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 4:21am

slybarman Said:

Drip wad back this morning and was definitely a leak. Looks like I will be replacing some seals. Do these seals get replaced through that arm or through the mushroom atop the brewhead.

Posted October 3, 2013 link

In the arm.
You'd unscrew the flat-head nut that holds the lefer to the shaft. Pull the lever off preventing the lock washer from rolling under the kitchen counter and being lost.
With an adjustable wrench you unscrew the guide from the side of the group head. If the whole thing turns, you can unscrew it whole, the larger hex, not the smaller hex that is just the cap.  If you are careful, you can do it without the lever coming out. The whole guide will slide off the shaft.
Unscrew the cap(Smaller hex), take the spring and sleeve out, pry the old seals out. Lube the new seals. put a fingertip of lube on the cam itself, inside the group-head. A little dab'll do.
Now read this backwards. to reassemble.

If the camshaft did come out, you can put the lever on the end of it to manipulate it as you reposition it into its hole and rotate it back into position between the valves.
SStones
SStones

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 4:28am

Seacoffee Said:

Why would the relay be burning out? The machine is less than 6 months old and I usually make an average of 2 coffees in the morning.

Note this morning I turned it on again and the grouphead was HOT at operating temperature, but no pressure.

Posted October 3, 2013 link

The relay is cheap and only operates for maybe 60000 cycles...
This has all been gone through in this thread in the past.  If the machine cycles every 60 seconds (To keep the math simple) that's 60000 minutes or 1000 hours or 125 eight hour days...

That's why the machine only costs 1/3 the price of the great single-group machines.  Don't worry, you're saving loads of money by buying the $1000 machine and upgrading it yourself if you plan to use it like a workhorse machine.

If it is less than 6 months old, check with your dealer if they'll replace the relay for you, under warranty.
SStones
SStones

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 4:30am

elliottrosenberg Said:

Hi all;
I'm having the same problem in that a few days ago I turned the machine on and no heat or pressure. I opened the machine up to check the relay assuming the relay had burnt out and low and behold, it wasn't there. (Maybe Australia has a different version.) Any ideas?

Posted October 4, 2013 link

It is either in a little holder clinging to the pressostat above the boiler  or in a little holder clinging to the frame of the machine near the front, above the green light.

If it is seriously not in there, anywhere, someone may have removed it to either run the element directly off of the pressostat or to replace it with a better relay.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 7:57am

SStones Said:

In the arm.
You'd unscrew the flat-head nut that holds the lefer to the shaft. Pull the lever off preventing the lock washer from rolling under the kitchen counter and being lost.
With an adjustable wrench you unscrew the guide from the side of the group head. If the whole thing turns, you can unscrew it whole, the larger hex, not the smaller hex that is just the cap.  If you are careful, you can do it without the lever coming out. The whole guide will slide off the shaft.
Unscrew the cap(Smaller hex), take the spring and sleeve out, pry the old seals out. Lube the new seals. put a fingertip of lube on the cam itself, inside the group-head. A little dab'll do.
Now read this backwards. to reassemble.

If the camshaft did come out, you can put the lever on the end of it to manipulate it as you reposition it into its hole and rotate it back into position between the valves.

Posted October 4, 2013 link

Good description.  Thank you.
showing page 119 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.452839851379)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+