Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 90 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
motherof4

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 4:29pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Does is really cycle that often? Is that normal for these types of machines?
It seems like it would get really annoying, what does everyone think???
 View Profile Link to this post
pfn

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 5:00pm

motherof4 Said:

Does is really cycle that often? Is that normal for these types of machines?
It seems like it would get really annoying, what does everyone think???

Posted April 8, 2013 link

I dunno about everyone else's machine, but I can visibly watch the gauge bouncing between 1.0 to 1.1bar.

Just timed it over a period of about 150 seconds, and it's something like the following.

6s on
40s off
5s on
40s off
5s on
40s off
6s on

The ambient temperature in my kitchen is between 65-70F. Perhaps, I should investigate insulating the boiler to help retain heat better. Hopefully, that would reduce cycles on the relay and improve its lifespan.

It's not terribly annoying, it just *feels* wasteful, to me. Maybe the pstat will wear over time and increase its range to .9 to 1.1 bar instead, that would prolong the time between heating cycles (but also increase the on duration).
bodkacoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: US Roaster 5k
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 5:05pm

I've got mine setup also. Got the grinder set up to do about 27 seconds on 2 ozs of espresso. First two lattes went down the drain as the yellowish water made the milk taste awful. I ran a bunch of water through it and will try again.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 7:45am

I love this espresso machine and its working great. I did take my new Baratza Preciso grinder apart to check grind adjustments,per their website, and found it on the coarse setting. They have three internal settings,
coarse, neutral and fine. Its now on fine and much better. This explains the people who use this grinder coming up with different settings for espresso I think. My clue was dialing grinder down to lowest
settings and having issues with 30/30....30 lbs tamp and 30 second pull for double shots. So now I have that done,machine was a pretty self explanatory,and the fresh Black Cat and Verve arrived. Time for
Latte heaven. With the super steam power of this machine micro foam is a breeze and makes me wonder if I ever got it on my beloved Classic.

Iluvdabean: Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 7.44.01 AM.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
pfn

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 10:33am

My boiler water still stinks, used it to cook some tea last night, blech... I guess I'll try to cycle more water through it, drawing <4oz at a time is a major pain. I wish it could just have some fittings that I could open and flush some water through--I do not look forward to descaling without an easier method of flushing.
Deus

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 2:27pm

Is there a 4 hole steaming tip for this machine? If so can someone post the link?
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 9:11pm

Mine was that way for awhile...But 28 double latte's later its fine. In fact the first ones we had did taste that way...but we just drank them...I considered it part of the journey so why not! :)

pfn Said:

My boiler water still stinks, used it to cook some tea last night, blech... I guess I'll try to cycle more water through it, drawing <4oz at a time is a major pain. I wish it could just have some fittings that I could open and flush some water through--I do not look forward to descaling without an easier method of flushing.

Posted April 9, 2013 link

pfn

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 6:45am

Iluvdabean Said:

Mine was that way for awhile...But 28 double latte's later its fine. In fact the first ones we had did taste that way...but we just drank them...I considered it part of the journey so why not! :)

Posted April 9, 2013 link

If you drank them all, you're probably used to the taste now and can't tell anymore ;-)

At least, that's my worry about what'll happen to me--haven't flushed any water out lately, but I will later.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:02am

No worries Im hard wired to good coffee and have an automatic reset to last highest experience in case of
any malfunction.

pfn Said:

If you drank them all, you're probably used to the taste now and can't tell anymore ;-)

At least, that's my worry about what'll happen to me--haven't flushed any water out lately, but I will later.

Posted April 10, 2013 link

motherof4

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 1:48pm

I set mine up couple of days ago and have run A LOT of water through--maybe two gallons--the water finally stopped smelling.
I had the best espresso of my life this morning, I can't wait to fiddle around to make it even better!
showing page 90 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.421620845795)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+