Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 129 of 129 first page previous page
Author Messages
kajitox

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodom French Press,...
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 2:00pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Hello quadrites! I checked the history and about 2 years ago people were discussing new steam arm tips. I have a V2 that comes with the better standard tip, but my milk always comes out a bit less wispy than I'm hoping for. Many months of technique refinement have helped, but I'm also wondering if the stock tip gives the right amount of pressure. Has anyone settled on something other than the stock tip?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 5:31am

I've been using the stock tip with a toothpick in one hole for about a year now. It takes just a few more seconds and I get great results. I tried the stock tip for a long time and could never get a good result until I plugged one of the holes. I've also tried the 4 hole tip from CC with no success. I've thought about trying the Rocket 2 hole tip with smaller holes but it comes with 3 other tips I don't want and a cost of nearly $35 with shipping. (If anyone has that tip, isn't using it and wants to sell it for cheap, let me know!) I haven't checked lately to see if there are any new options for the no burn steam arm.

I know some will have negative thoughts about the toothpick thing but it works for me. It isn't in the way and doesn't comes out. I never even think about it being in there anymore. Let me know if you give it a try.
 View Profile Link to this post
odieandsimba

Espresso: Cuadra
Roaster: Caffé Rosto (PID'd)
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 5:35am

Hello all.
I've owned a cuadra for about 3 years now. Got it used  after reading the reviews here and it has bean a very good machine. Some small problems, the fuse holder over heated and scale buildup, from which I learned the hard way to do regular maintenance. But this last weekend while doing a back flush cleaning the pump started to fill the boiler and didn't shut off. It kept on pumping until the pressure relief valve opened and I shut the machine off. The gauge went up past 2 bar and stayed there until the steam valve was opened. Out came water and the pressure dropped quickly.

Crap!

Wondered if the relay may be stuck in the on position so gave the machine a little tap. Nope, not fixed.

Pulled the control board out and with a meter, checked to see if the N.O. contacts were shorted. Nope, that wasn't it.

Searched the internet and found this thread. Read all the posts, yep all 1500+ of them, OK I glazed over for a lot of them but went through every page. Nothing about my problem, but I did learn a lot about the cuadra and how the refill circuit is suppose to work.

Pulled the level sensor, cleaned and re-installed. Still not right.

Checked the resistance between the level sensor and ground. There was some resistance, so I shorted the level sensor wire to ground. Nada.

Put a jumper wire between the sensor connection on the control board and the control board ground. No go.

Board must be pooched. 1st line doesn't like international orders, but I could get my Lady's cousin in the States to order it but by now we are in withdrawl. We need this sooner rather than later. Called the Canadian distributor for cuadra and they wanted $260. Ouch. Then I remembered the name of the band that made the best music to come out of the sixties... The Mothers of Invention. No I didn`t Freak Out. Just figured what was the worst I could do to the control board, pulled it out and started poking it with the meter. Surprise, surprise, surprise, one of printed circuits had a resistance in the multiple  mega-ohm range and this circuit was the ground. So I soldered a small gauge wire between the 2 points and it now works just fine.

As a bonus when I put back the plate that holds the water tank switch, I didn`t put it back in the 2 slots in the plate at the front. I put it on top and now the machine is much quieter than it was before. The bottom plate must have been rattling in the slots. Aaahhh, good coffee without all the irritating noise.

OK, long winded post for my first, but I wanted to tell anyone who runs into the same problem a way to fix it. I think it happened do to the vibration, because to circuit on the board is right on the edge of the board and will rub against the slot the board fits in the black box.

Here`s a picture of the board with the wire in place

odieandsimba: IMG_0531 copy.jpg
(Click for larger image)
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 9:54am

Good job on the repair! Yes, sorry, there are a bunch of reasons for not exporting. Mainly for Canada, our merchant bank does not like to give approvals for international orders.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
odieandsimba

Espresso: Cuadra
Roaster: Caffé Rosto (PID'd)
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 3:26pm

1stline Said:

Good job on the repair! Yes, sorry, there are a bunch of reasons for not exporting. Mainly for Canada, our merchant bank does not like to give approvals for international orders.

Posted May 15, 2014 link

Thanks

I understand your reason's and don't feel bitter. But I'm not happy with the Canadian supplier. $260 CDN for the part you can sell for $110 US. I understand that one must make a profit and there are considerable over head expenses but...
1stline
1stline

Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 2:50pm

odieandsimba Said:

Thanks

I understand your reason's and don't feel bitter. But I'm not happy with the Canadian supplier. $260 CDN for the part you can sell for $110 US. I understand that one must make a profit and there are considerable over head expenses but...

Posted May 15, 2014 link

I agree. Parts, and sometimes machine prices are all over the place. It really depends upon qty purchased, air or container shipping, stocking costs, warehouse and labor costs, etc. One would be surprised how fast these costs add up.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 7, 2014, 8:38am

I just wanted to say that buying this machine at the introductory price of 1000 dollars was
a smoking hot deal,thanks Jim. I am also very satisfied with HX and E-61 wherever the future of espresso
machines go.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
1stline
1stline

Posted Wed Jul 9, 2014, 9:16am

Iluvdabean Said:

I just wanted to say that buying this machine at the introductory price of 1000 dollars was
a smoking hot deal,thanks Jim. I am also very satisfied with HX and E-61 wherever the future of espresso
machines go.

Posted July 7, 2014 link

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Epson

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014, 11:58pm

First, wondering if someone could chime in here, had my machine since this thread started.  Ive noticed ever since i got it, that sometimes the pressure gauge will "freeze" and if i open the steam wand it will drop very fast then i have to wait for it to warm up again, what would this indicate, how to stop this from happening?

Secondly, i recently did some maintance, i usually put 1 packet of descaler in, but i read the instructions on it a bit more closely and determined i need to be adding more like 1 and a half packets to my resevore, so thats what i did this time.  My descaler says to do it monthly but ive been doing it more like every 3 to 6 months.  Anyways, this time like usual i ran 3 or 3 and a half resvores of water to flush it out, the blue water stopped coming.  Also of note i didn't get any blue water out of my grouphead and i ran it at all stages switching between it and my water wand trying to get it in there.

So anyways it should be cleared out right, well couple days later i thought hey let me check this wand again and sure enough i had a bunch of blue water coming out of my water wand again, feels like its going to take another 2 res's to clear it out, why did this happen? shouldn't it have been cleared out?
nataliethefrog

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 28, 2014, 3:08pm

Hi All,

I just purchased a La Nuova Era Cuadra, took it out of the box and plugged it in.  I filled the water reservoir and turned it on to warm up.  After 2-3 hours the pressure gauge was showing about .1-.2 Bar.  Is there something I'm missing in the setup, or have I received a unit with a faulty pressure gauge?

Any ideas?
showing page 129 of 129 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445927858353)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+