Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 126 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
hirschaj
hirschaj
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: i-Mini
Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 8:31am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

washburned Said:

I am wondering what is causing an infrequent issue with my cuadra2.  Sometimes when i go to use my machine. Either after it has been on for an hour or so in the morning before first shot  or even a couple hrs after using it successfully the group head temp will be very low say around 130. If I pull water thru the group head it will spike then lower and then slowly start to raise like normal.  It has happened  couple times before I descaled and a couple after. So in total 4 or so times in year or two.  Thanks for any help.

Posted January 31, 2014 link

I noticed this would happen to my Cuadra also if I did not flush out all the steam every time I drew water. It usually would happen as a result of a short cleaning flush after I pulled a shot. Since I noticed this pattern and have made sure to flush until all the steam is gone I have not seen the issue again.
 View Profile Link to this post
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 8:54am

SStones Said:

The powercord, fuse holder, reservoir-weight switch and power switch are all live, even with the power switch off.
But the reservoir water level sensor is not in the plumbing, so it's nothing to do with scale moving around. If it is wet it's because of water spilled around the reservoir.

Sorry for the delayed response. It has been very busy here. I would also add to check the wiring inside the machine. Look for any wire that may have been burnt/split from an electrical spike. Also, look for any water leaks on the terminal inside the machine - inside connector. Look at the reservoir weight switch and see if it is distorted in shape.

I would also suggest trying to plug into a different GFI.

To dig even deeper, you may need to take out the rear platform and get down to the brain unit.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
1stline
1stline

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 8:58am

washburned Said:

I am wondering what is causing an infrequent issue with my cuadra2.  Sometimes when i go to use my machine. Either after it has been on for an hour or so in the morning before first shot  or even a couple hrs after using it successfully the group head temp will be very low say around 130. If I pull water thru the group head it will spike then lower and then slowly start to raise like normal.  It has happened  couple times before I descaled and a couple after. So in total 4 or so times in year or two.  Thanks for any help.

In addition to the thermosyphon stall, it 'can' be a clogged thermal restrictor in the thermosyphon tube.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:36pm

Iluvdabean Said:

I meant the auto fill for the boiler is that what you were talking about?

No. The powerboard and autofill circuit are all off and powerless with the powerswitch off.
r_g

Espresso: La Nuova Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 9:15am

Stephen, thank you so much for your help and detailed instructions - I really appreciate your effort. Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to figure out the problem. Here's what I've checked so far:

The power comes in to the socket, runs through to the fuse, then through the weight switch (for the water container), goes to the main switch in the front, to the heating element.

My GFI is tripping before the switch but i've checked for shorts to the ground on the power cord, socket, fuse, weight switch and nothing. It all looks fine.
There is a wire from the weight switch going to the "brain" unit in parallel to the front switch. Could it be the brain unit that's shorting?

I'm also seeing some inconsistent behavior. Sometimes, it doesn't trip when i plug it in but does as soon as i turn the switch on - the green light comes on for less than a second and the gfi trips.
1stline
1stline

Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 10:12am

r_g Said:

Stephen, thank you so much for your help and detailed instructions - I really appreciate your effort. Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to figure out the problem. Here's what I've checked so far:

The power comes in to the socket, runs through to the fuse, then through the weight switch (for the water container), goes to the main switch in the front, to the heating element.

My GFI is tripping before the switch but i've checked for shorts to the ground on the power cord, socket, fuse, weight switch and nothing. It all looks fine.
There is a wire from the weight switch going to the "brain" unit in parallel to the front switch. Could it be the brain unit that's shorting?

I'm also seeing some inconsistent behavior. Sometimes, it doesn't trip when i plug it in but does as soon as i turn the switch on - the green light comes on for less than a second and the gfi trips.

Posted February 1, 2014 link

Brain unit is possible, but very unlikely. You need to check the boards for burnt marks and for water stains.

If your GFI is older than 3 years, it may be the GFI is bad. I have seen this before many times. People think that a GFI goes bad when there is no tripping of the circuit. However, it is the opposite that is true. GFI outlets get too sensitive as they age, and when they age to about 3-5 years old, the GFI outlet thinks the power hungry espresso machine in a cold state is a short circuit.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

r_g

Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 3:07pm

It's most likely not the GFi. I've tried it with a different GFI and same result. I tried it without a GFI and plugged it into a regular socket and it blew the fuse in the machine.

Here's what I'm seeing when I check resistance to ground right at the beginning (both before and after the fuse). Instead of it being constant, it's fluctuating. Video of the multimeter is here : Click Here (www.youtube.com)
washburned

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza vario
Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 6:42pm

slybarman Said:

Thermosyphon stall. It happens.

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/stall.html

Thanks for the link that was helpful

1stline Said:

In addition to the thermosyphon stall, it 'can' be a clogged thermal restrictor in the thermosyphon tube.

If it were clogged wouldn't the issue be more constant?
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 8:00pm

r_g Said:

Posted February 1, 2014 link

That wire from weight switch to brain confuses me.
Weight switch is a simple normally open switch. Nothing should be on the Normally Closed contact, unless some Cuadras have a "Empty Reservoir" light that I am unaware of...
Anyway, as far as I'm aware, the weight switch should have one brown wire (Indicating the live or "phase" wire going to the fuse holder/IEC connector and one brown wire going to your powerswitch on the front of the machine.  That's all. Nothing else connected to live until the switch is turned on.
The blue wires are the neutrals. One of those should go from the IEC/Fuse connector to the powerboard and jump to all other neutral connections.

Can you confirm for me that you do or do not have a brown wire (Or red) going from the weight-switch to the powerboard?
Have you or anybody done any electrical modifications to that machine?
r_g

Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 10:22pm

You're right.

There is a Brown (live) wire going from the fuse to the weight switch which then goes to the switch in the front of the machine. From the switch, the wires then go to the light, relay and brain unit in parallel.

Nothing has been modified. I'm drawing a blank on what to do next.

I've checked shorts to ground for the power cord, the power socket, the fuse, the weight switch and the front switch and they're all fine.

Once in a while, when i reset the GFI, it doesn't trip. In that case, it trips as soon as i turn the front switch on. If i don't turn the front switch on, and measure resistance from the fuse to ground, i get fluctuating readings - see video here Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Any suggestions?
showing page 126 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.462036848068)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+