Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 121 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Carlitovich

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra 006
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 4:01am
Subject: Re: Cuadra won't turn on...

Hopefully we can chalk this up to the fact that I haven't had my coffee yet, but how can I have my coffee if the machine won't power on?

Machine is only a few months old and runs on timer.  This morning it wasn't on when I came down.  It should have been hot and ready.  I plugged it in directly to wall and still won't turn on.  I fiddled with power cord in back of machine and it was fine.  Grinder runs off same outlet so I know there is power.

What's up?

Machine has always worked like a charm with no hiccups.
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 4:09am

Carlitovich Said:

Machine is only a few months old and runs on timer.  This morning it wasn't on when I came down.  It should have been hot and ready.  I plugged it in directly to wall and still won't turn on.  I fiddled with power cord in back of machine and it was fine.  Grinder runs off same outlet so I know there is power.
What's up?
Machine has always worked like a charm with no hiccups.

Posted October 9, 2013 link

If you haven't, yet, remove the timer from the circuit and plug the machine directly into the outlet, to rule out the possibility that the timer is dead.
Also, make sure that the reservoir is full and clicking the little switch beneath it.

If the green light is on, but the machine isn't heating, then it has power all the way through the powerswitch to the light and presumably the P-Stat and Relay...  So I would suspect the relay.

If the green light is not on, then you have to suspect the switch under the reservoir, the power-switch itself, or the fuse.  It is most likely the fuse and/or the fuse holder.
Carlitovich

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra 006
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 4:29am

SStones Said:

If you haven't, yet, remove the timer from the circuit and plug the machine directly into the outlet, to rule out the possibility that the timer is dead.
Also, make sure that the reservoir is full and clicking the little switch beneath it.

If the green light is on, but the machine isn't heating, then it has power all the way through the powerswitch to the light and presumably the P-Stat and Relay...  So I would suspect the relay.

If the green light is not on, then you have to suspect the switch under the reservoir, the power-switch itself, or the fuse.  It is most likely the fuse and/or the fuse holder.

Posted October 9, 2013 link

Thanks but I'm just retarded (no offense to retards).

It was the low water auto shut off.  It usually does that when I am around machine pulling a shot.  This time it happened right when it turned on as I slept.  Probably tried to top off boiler and tripped the shut-off.

Pheeeew!

:)
SStones
SStones

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 4:11am

Awesome.
Water is so much cheaper than a new element.  :)
beanfranklin

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 7:53am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

SStones Said:

I think you're just stalling the pump with too fine a grind. The humid weather may be needing you to adjust the grinder a little coarser.
Pressure gauge on the front is showing boiler pressure. Probably 1.4-1.5 Bar... A little high in some opinions, but not likely to cause a flow issue with your brew circuit.  Before changing anything else, run three or four pulls at a coarser grind.

Posted October 6, 2013 link

1stline Said:

Test without the water softener atatched and make sure there is enough water int he reservoir as the hose will not reach bottom.

If problem goes away, then make sure to recharge the water softener every month minimum.

Posted October 7, 2013 link

Thank you SStones and 1stline for your kind help. I did adjust the grind as suggested, and it indeed helped a little, but the pump was still struggling - and the coffee was considerably coarser than I had ever had to use before. I tried removing the softener cartridge, but no change (I'm pretty good about keeping it recharged). As I contemplated what to ask here next, over the course of the week, it steadily improved, a little every day - and now it is working as before, with the finer grind as before. Coffee was the same batch throughout. Go figure.

I am wondering if it had do do with my not using it for four months. I emptied the reservoir and unplugged it, of course, when I left, but that was all. Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare for a period of inactivity?
1stline
1stline

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 11:30am

beanfranklin Said:

I am wondering if it had do do with my not using it for four months. I emptied the reservoir and unplugged it, of course, when I left, but that was all. Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare for a period of inactivity?

Posted October 12, 2013 link

An espresso machine's gicleurs or restrictors can get get clogged from water evaporating inside in as little as 2 weeks - mostly depends upon the hardness of the water. Therefore it is best to descale before this inactivity and refill with soft water only. Do NOT leave descaling solution inside as it can start to eat the metal (ie copper) or gaskets on some machines. After descaling but before the period of inactivity for the Cuadra, remove the hoses from the reservoir (remains full), run the grouphead dry of water by running the pump for about 20 seconds. Leave lever up. Cool machine down and leave steam and hot water valves in full open to allow boiler water to evaporate. Empty reservoir. Allow water softener to air dry after removal - do not leave it in the reservoir as the remaining water may allow mold to build up.

If the machine is going to be transported or shipped, you can do the same above, EXCEPT before the machine cools down to leave the valves open, you would leave the machine to full heat, then power the machine off, and empty the boiler through the hot water valve only (steam valve stays closed). Not all the water will come out. Allow machine to cool and open steam valve. It is better to keep the valves open and lever up especially in cold weather to avoid any remaining water to freeze and cause damage. It is less important in warmer climates.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hirschaj
hirschaj

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: i-Mini
Posted Sun Oct 13, 2013, 10:21am

Update on my Cuadra: It sprung a leak about a month ago. I turned the machine on, left it alone to heat up, came back and saw a large puddle underneath. I turned it off, removed the side cover, turned it back on and found where it was leaking from. See attached picture, the leak was from the large component right in the middle of the picture. I had about 2 weeks left on my warranty so I contacted Jim at 1st Line, sent him a picture of the leaking part and he shipped one out to me.

Installing this new part was not the easiest (due to location) but was not really that hard. It took me about 30 minutes to repair and is back to working perfectly. I really like this machine. One of the reasons I chose it (besides price) was that it seemed like it would be a machine that I could fix without too much hassle. So far that has proved to be true. I seemingly had half of the machine apart for this repair and it was still not a big deal.

Jim, thanks for the great service. Customer support is a massive part of the ownership experience and I am really satisfied having owned my Cuadra for just over a year now.

hirschaj: cuadra-part.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Brentvdg

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 4:10pm

Hey guys,

I could use some help. I have a burned out relay and I just got the replacement in today. I didn't think to note the wire configuration before taking out the old one. Can anyone give me the config?

The lead with 2 wires on mine is red, another is brown, and another is white. The black one clearly plugs into the harness on the loose black wire.

Anyone know which of the non-black wires goes where?

Thanks!

Brent
SStones
SStones

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 6:15pm

The two connections on the board right beside the relay itself are the load connections.  So one of those is going to be going to the element and nothing else.  The other of those will be always live with the power on, so it will be the wire that jumps everything from the powerswitch up through the Green Light,  Relay and the connection on the pressostat that is jumpered to the other things.

That leaves the other two connections, the control...  One of those is the "Switched" wire from the pressostat, usually connected to the soldered-in wire. The other is going to be the neutral that jumpers to everything back down.

I hope that makes sense. I'm stuffed full of dinner and nearly asleep.
Brentvdg

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 6:32pm

Thanks! That does make sense, and it's heating up now. I am already looking forward to getting up for work tomorrow.

Next time I may sack up and try a solid state relay. Hope this one gives me another 22 months though!

Someone please start up a "Pimp my Cuadra" thread and max it out for optimal longevity and performance. :)
showing page 121 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.429897069931)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+