Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Decent Espresso Machines for $300
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Decent Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
EspressoRick

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 5:52pm
Subject: Decent Espresso Machines for $300

I'm looking for an espresso machine for a friend. Her budget is around $300. Any recommendations?
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 6:14pm
Subject: Re: Decent Espresso Machines for $300

Not really . . . unless a good deal comes her way on a used machine.  

Are you familiar with "The Four M's of Espresso"?
-- the Macinazione is the correct grinding of the coffee (in other words, the grinder and its settings);
-- the Miscela is the coffee blend (or beans themselves);
-- the Macchina is the espresso machine itself; and,
-- the Mano is the skilled hand of the barista (i.e.: the user).  
When each factor of the four M's is precisely controlled, the espresso beverage that is produced is the ultimate coffee experience.  Long story short:  the barista will improve over time, but even the world's best machine will produce nothing but $#!+ without a great grinder!  

Even buying used, $300 is simply not enough to get a decent machine and grinder.  One need not spend thousands, but one has to spend more than $300.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
EspressoRick

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 6:33pm

I agree with everything you said, Jason. Personally, I own an Alex Duetto II machine and a Lelit stepless grinder. My friend can only afford $300.

Let me rephrase the question: What's the least bad machine that one can buy for about $300.  ;^)
Jsolanzo

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Mypressi Twist?
Grinder: Hario Mini Mill, Mazzer...
Drip: Chemex 3 Cup, Aeropress,...
Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 7:58pm

Maybe a modded EC155 with a capresso infinity? That's $90+$70. My rommate has an EC155, it's meh. The only time I get espresso is when I go to the coffee shop (Barefoot Coffee ftw!). I'm still new to good coffee so take my advise with a grain of salt. If I was her, I'd get a used preciso for $230 and then buy a CCD or something. Then save money for a silvia later on. From what others have been telling me, when new to good coffee, get a good grinder first, then go from there.
iowaboy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby; Vev & GB...
Grinder: Preciso, Solis Maestro+
Drip: Melitta Pourover, Krups,...
Roaster: Behmor, FR8+
Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 8:43pm

As o.p. indicated the $300 budget is for an espresso machine, I would suggest the Gaggia New Baby. Paired with a decent grinder, good coffee can be made.
coffeespades1250

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 10:15pm

I have a Saeco Aroma and Capresso Infinity and can make pretty good espresso for the money. Definitely better than any cafe I have been to.

Refurbished Saeco Aroma from SeattleCoffeeGear

Capresso Infinity

This will make decent espresso without any tamping, and it won't be nearly as picky about the grind.  If she decides that it isn't good enough, she can try depressurizing the portafilter. After depressurizing it will require tamping so she should invest in a good 53mm metal tamper which will fit snugly in the filter basket.

Depending on your friend's experience with espresso, the pressurized portafilter might be good enough.
pchoden

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Vac Pot: Bodum Chambord
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 5:38am

Assuming the $300 budget is for the machine only, I would second the idea of a lower end Gaggia. The New Baby can make a decent shot when paired with a good grinder. I used one for some years and was reasonably happy until it was time to upgrade. However the New Baby is closer to $400 from dealers (though $329 at Amazon). If $300 is a firm ceiling, maybe the Gaggia Evolution? Just a thought ...

Coffee is the common man's gold, and like gold it
brings to every man the feeling of luxury and nobility. - Sheik Abd al-Qadir
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 6:35am

Ascaso basic? 299$ in Canada, 279$ in US.  ABS body but brass innards.  No 3 way valve though.  Seems like good value to me.
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 6:38am

If she is willing to stretch her budget the Lelit PL041 and Ascaso Dream are not that far off.
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 7:13am

How about a setup that delivers decent espresso for under $150?

At my house on the shore, I'm using a Hamilton Beach espresso machine (about $70 from Wal-Mart) which you can find reviewed here at CoffeeGeek, coupled with a Turkish hand grinder. You can find a good new hand grinder at Orphan Espresso for about $75 (the Japanese units sound good).

The espresso I make at the shore is not quite as good as what I get from the Electra Mcal/Rossi combination at home, but it's significantly better than what I can get in most coffee shops.

If your friend is looking to make a couple of espressos a day, she might want to consider this option.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Decent Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.4848279953)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+