Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Decent Espresso Machines for $300
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Decent Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011, 10:56pm
Subject: Re: Decent Espresso Machines for $300

johnboddie Said:

How about a setup that delivers decent espresso for under $150?

At my house on the shore, I'm using a Hamilton Beach espresso machine (about $70 from Wal-Mart) which you can find reviewed here at CoffeeGeek, coupled with a Turkish hand grinder. You can find a good new hand grinder at Orphan Espresso for about $75 (the Japanese units sound good).

The espresso I make at the shore is not quite as good as what I get from the Electra Mcal/Rossi combination at home, but it's significantly better than what I can get in most coffee shops.

If your friend is looking to make a couple of espressos a day, she might want to consider this option.

Posted November 24, 2011 link

I was thinking along the same lines, get a hand grinder for around $75 and use the rest of the budget for a basic Gaggia machine. Like johnboddie, I've paired a hand grinder (an antique in my case) with a basic machine (PID'd Silvia) for weekend use on my boat. It's not quite equal to my home setup but it can produce a drinkable shot.

I just clicked on the WLL banner at the top of the page and found that they have the refurbed Gaggia Espresso Pure (or Espresso Color if you prefer) for $175, add a hand grinder for $75 and you're well within your budget. I also noticed that they have the Gaggia MDF (refurbed) for $170, maybe they can do a package deal for an Espresso Pure and an MDF that would be close to your target price. The MDF would be the least expensive grinder that I would recommend for espresso, The Baratza Maestro and Capresso Infinity may produce acceptable results with a pressurized PF but are inadequate for any other use.
 View Profile Link to this post
ristrettome

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM
Grinder: M-3
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hot Top
Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 8:43pm

Depends on how your friend drinks her coffee and whether she likes to fuss.  My wife and I both consider ourselves nuts about coffee.  I've 5 grand in gear, enjoy chasing the details and the ritual of preparation is essential to me.  My wife on the other hand can't be bothered.  A lasting peace finding came our house when I purchased for her her own Nespresso machine.  It produces a cup acceptable to her and the convenience of the system can not be beat.  New Nespresso machines with milk frothers I think are about $300.  So buy for the personality of your friend.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 10:27pm

iowaboy Said:

As o.p. indicated the $300 budget is for an espresso machine, I would suggest the Gaggia New Baby. Paired with a decent grinder, good coffee can be made.

Posted November 23, 2011 link

Yes, but now you're at $600

"Ristrettome",  certainly someone with your setup knows no decent espresso can be made without a good espresso grinder.
The cheapest I can think of would be a good vintage wooden grinder..$75, or a refurbed regular Baratza Virtuoso (not the Preciso...about $149, I believe)
A pre-owned Saeco/Starbucks Athena, or the least expensive Gaggia.
Still $400 at least, and then there's the tamper, knockbox, and cleaning supplies...another $75.

I'd go with a grinder like yours or the preciso (her last grinder!) and a Chemex, Soft Brew, or Hario Pourover....wonderful coffee.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gourmetguy
gourmetguy

Espresso: All kinds of stuff
Grinder: Various in my day
Drip: You name it I've had it
Roaster: just an iRoast
Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011, 5:37am

I'm looking for an espresso machine for a friend. Her budget is around $300. Any recommendations?

Ditto on any of the lower-priced Gaggias, they all - from the top of the line Twin to the lowly Pure or whatever it's called - brew the same shot. You just get more plastic, no 3-way valve for a dry puck after brew, etc.

If you can visit the importer's website, they have a refurbished section.  I would pair a refurb Gaggia with the least expensive Solis Maestro grinder you can find and you'll have the tools to make better coffee than 98% of the mass crap out there. Good luck espressorick, and please don't pay heed to experts who say you must drop $600+ on this habit to make a good cup. That's silly talk.
ampguy
ampguy
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011, 6:49am

This is a decent setup for the price. With the Capresso though, you aren't likely to get enough grind control to effectively use a non PPF filter, so probably should wait for a better grinder like a Preciso first.

These warm up quickly, and steam relatively quickly. They have a stainless boiler which is small, but adequate for low volume use, and a large rear pour over tank.

Downsides are the panarello can over foam, without a SS Gaggia upgrade. Also, there is no 3 way solenoid, so you get the occasional PF "sneeze" mess, if you forget to depressurize first, and the wand tends to leak. You can take the valve apart and check the o-rings and polish the brass stopper, but it doesn't seem to permanently stop the leaky wand. You can set the wand over the drip tray, and just empty the drip tray regularly.

coffeespades1250 Said:

I have a Saeco Aroma and Capresso Infinity and can make pretty good espresso for the money. Definitely better than any cafe I have been to.

Refurbished Saeco Aroma from SeattleCoffeeGear

Capresso Infinity

This will make decent espresso without any tamping, and it won't be nearly as picky about the grind.  If she decides that it isn't good enough, she can try depressurizing the portafilter. After depressurizing it will require tamping so she should invest in a good 53mm metal tamper which will fit snugly in the filter basket.

Depending on your friend's experience with espresso, the pressurized portafilter might be good enough.

Posted November 23, 2011 link

AustinMike

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La San Marco 85E
Grinder: Mahlkonig  K30
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Krupps Mokabrew
Roaster: BBQ Drum
Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011, 10:01am

I'm selling my Baratza grinder for $100.  Check the buy/sell area for details.
grevay

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012, 6:07pm

what is the electra mCal/rossi?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012, 6:27pm

Elektra Micro Casa a Leva (aka "MCal")

Rossi Grinders

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Decent Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.428746938705)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+