Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville BES900XL Best For Pricepoint
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 10 first page previous page
Author Messages
thebeardedbarista

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 9:10pm
Subject: Re: Breville BES900XL Best For Pricepoint

Thanks, Stephen, for the update. Sounds you and I both have been considering similar machines. I seriously considered the CC1, Breville DB, and finally think I'm going to go with a Quickmill Silvano. You are definitely correct about the brew temperature dropping. This video by Chris Nachtrieb demonstrates the same effect on the Silvano (http://vimeo.com/15671852) Notice the declining temperature on the PID but the stable brew temp on the Scace. As you mentioned, this is because the temp probe is located on the bottom of the CC1 boiler where the water enters from the tank.

Although it's not optimal to kick cold water into the brew boiler during extraction (which, according to David Schomer is like "giving Mozart a stick and a rock and asking him to make music" or something along those lines) for this price point, it's difficult to find another option. The BDB uses a HX to bring pre-heated water into the brew boiler thus improving temperature stability as does the Expobar Brewtus. But you need two boilers to do that.  

At any rate, it's a difficult decision in some ways to decide between the Silvano, CC1, and BDB. As I mentioned, my first machine was a Breville so I wasn't exactly inclined to continue with them given the issues I had with the machine. In the end, I wanted a machine that was built with durability in mind rather than the "disposable appliance" kind of mentality. I wanted a machine that is meant to be tinkered with, with more stock parts that can be easily serviced. The fact that opening the hood on the BDB voids the warranty tells you something about the philosophy behind the build. "If it has a problem, just replace it" seems to be Breville's approach.

Of course we don't need to be too biased about whether a machine is Italian made or not, but a machine coming from a reputable manufacturer that has been doing this for a long time, and has a track record of reliable, well-built machines can't be discounted either. That's why I'm fairly positive I'll go with the Silvano. Plus, the ability to brew and steam at the same time and what seems to be a higher build quality than the CC1 puts it above the CC1 in my opinion.
 View Profile Link to this post
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 7:56am

The BDB uses a HX to bring pre-heated water into the brew boiler thus improving temperature stability as does the Expobar Brewtus. But you need two boilers to do that.

IMO, intra-shot "stability" (ie, a flat temp profile as measured above the coffee) is not what you want; some temperature drop is advantageous and a design that doesn't allow that to happen is a negative.  Luckily a machine can offer both.  Bring cool water into a fairly small brew boiler and then if someone wants a "flat profile", use the heater to add heat to compensate.

• - quotes marks are due to the fact that the temperatures in the coffee are what really matter, and they don't follow the temperature above the coffee.  A flat profile is actually a rising profile.
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 9:07am

eeeehaw Said:

An important factor for me and many others is VALUE, ie what you get for the price.  This particular Breville is impressive to me from that perspective.  You can typically purchase something better in terms of features, performance, reliability, aesthetics, support, etc, in any product, but you typically wind up paying much more of your hard-earned money for diminishing returns on your investment.  For those who are purposely finicky and passionate about one particular factor, it is often well worth it to them to pay thousands $$ for improvement that may be slightly noticeable to others (eg, I'm that way about hi-end audio).  But for the majority, a balanced compromise between the factors most important to them often translates into a purchase budget that may be very well suited for a good Breville machine or other fine machines that sell for under $1000 street, and where marginal improvement may mean paying at least 50-100% more for a "craftsman built machine from Italy".  I know a guy in my small community here who owns a business servicing & refurbishing commercial espresso machines (for Starbucks & other retail coffee businesses), and he has some revealing views about Italian vs other national products regarding both performance and quality that some here would find surprising).  Beware of "religious fervor" without concrete justification of why one style of manufacturing ("craftsman" vs "robotic" assembly vs "less-sophisticated workers who've built 1000 times are many of the same product"), one country, one brand, one technology is superior to others.

Posted November 9, 2013 link

It's always a matter of finding a solution that fits the person no matter what the topic.  I wouldn't say that all Italian made machines are better than Breville as gross generalizations like that never apply in all cases.  However, I would say that Rancilio and Izzo build quality and repairability are certainly worlds apart from Breville's and that's why Breville's espresso equipment is a nonstarter for me.  My Silvia was a reliable machine for well over a decade.  When I did have a failure after 11 years I was able to repair her.  I've never used a big box store machine that could provide such a track record with my usage but, to be fair, I haven't used the BES900XL itself so I can't really comment on it specifically.  It's durability over the long run has yet to be proven.

For the value minded, Breville could be a good fit.  For those that find being able to swap out machines at the box store a plus the Breville could be a good fit.  Such people probably don't have the same concerns and priorities and there's nothing wrong with that but the typical CoffeeGeek user probably isn't going to have that mindset.

I love my Breville countertop convection oven, blender and juicer.  I'm just much pickier about my espresso equipment.  As eeeehaw says, we all have different areas where we are willing to spend more time, money and attention and areas where we just want a cost effective solution.
showing page 10 of 10 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.345673084259)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+