Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What type of Espresso Machines Does Starbucks Use?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What type of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
javaboi
javaboi
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011, 10:31pm
Subject: What type of Espresso Machines Does Starbucks Use?

I am curious to know what brand of espresso machines do they use at Starbucks? LOL! Silly question I know but I am getting mixed information
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011, 8:26am
Subject: Re: What type of Espresso Machines Does Starbucks Use?

Well, I confess I'm tempted to respond by saying "What possible difference could it make?" or "A crappy super-automatic," simply because their coffee is so bad, but you obviously want to know for a specific reason.  

From the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

A new espresso machine. The Mastrena espresso machine, from Thermoplan AG of Switzerland and made exclusively for Starbucks, will be the sole espresso machine installed in all new stores.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011, 9:30am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Well, I confess I'm tempted to respond by saying "What possible difference could it make?" or "A crappy super-automatic," simply because their coffee is so bad, but you obviously want to know for a specific reason.  

From the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Cheers,
Jason

Posted November 15, 2011 link

Thermoplan in Switzerland....ugh, Swiss coffee....that explains some things :P

I'm not sure how current or accurate that article is.  I know back in the 90's they used 100% La Marzoco Lineas, but in the early-mid 2000's switched them all out for Franke super autos (not sure the exact models.)  That was when they decided to make the switch from being a low-end cafe to being a high-end vending machine.  I'm not sure if the Thermoplan rollout is for 100% locations, or if it's taken effect it if it is to be 100%, so a little bit of the OP's question depends on "in what era" we're talking about.

In either case, as Jason said, the more exacting answer is "mediocre super automatics which produce lousy coffee from lousy beans" :)
ampguy
ampguy
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011, 7:12pm

Most I've been to have the Mastrena or Verismo. A year ago, it looked like they were looking at semi automatics again, but I don't think they are anymore.

Click Here (www.starbucksmelody.com)
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011, 10:05am

ampguy Said:

Most I've been to have the Mastrena or Verismo.

Same here though it has been a loong time since I've set foot in one and that was to get the better half a chai.
TheMadTamper

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011, 11:08am

ampguy Said:

Most I've been to have the Mastrena or Verismo. A year ago, it looked like they were looking at semi automatics again, but I don't think they are anymore.

Click Here (www.starbucksmelody.com)

Interesting...must be regional.  In the Northeast it seems to be all Franke at all locations I've seen (passing by them...I don't go TO them these days... ;) )

There's something about the audacity of putting a tip jar out to reward the high school kids for pushing a button to get coffee and using a cash register, that tastes even worse than the coffee.  How does one determine the tip percentage based on service?  Do you give 5% more tip if they hit the "Vente" button square-on instead of slightly from the side?  Maybe if they give the lid an extra check to make sure that difficult process of snapping a plastic lid to a paper cup is completed to satisfaction? :)   If I don't want to give a tip, can I go behind the counter and push the "Vente" button myself to rid myself of the shame of not tipping someone else to push a button for me? :)
JtothaR
JtothaR

Espresso: Modded Oscar
Grinder: Anfim Lusso, GM 875
Vac Pot: Air Pot
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011, 11:13am

TheMadTamper Said:

If I don't want to give a tip, can I go behind the counter and push the "Vente" button myself to rid myself of the shame of not tipping someone else to push a button for me? :)

Posted November 17, 2011 link

LOL, it's coming. Like grocery store self checkout.

I use self checkout cause if you want something done correctly and fast, the only option is to "Do it yourself". :P

Load and Lock.
TheMadTamper

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011, 9:45am

JtothaR Said:

LOL, it's coming. Like grocery store self checkout.

I use self checkout cause if you want something done correctly and fast, the only option is to "Do it yourself". :P

Posted November 17, 2011 link

I don't use self checkout because 3/10 times, the price in the register is incorrect....and when it rings up wrong, you can't do your own price overrides ;)
JtothaR
JtothaR

Espresso: Modded Oscar
Grinder: Anfim Lusso, GM 875
Vac Pot: Air Pot
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011, 11:38pm

TheMadTamper Said:

I don't use self checkout because 3/10 times, the price in the register is incorrect....and when it rings up wrong, you can't do your own price overrides ;)

Posted November 18, 2011 link

And now I've been outed for just buying bananas, eggs, milk, and liquor. Lol

And not caring about the prices if I'm honest, except on the liquor. :D

Load and Lock.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What type of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.463486909866)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+