Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
It has arrived - Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL!
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > It has arrived -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 36 of 37 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 4:02pm
Subject: Re: It has arrived - Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL!

Jason + 1000!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 4:12pm

BubbaDude Said:

Eric has been bashing the BDB sight unseen for several months now, so don't take his attacks on you personally. There are a number of people who feel threatened by the BDB and they've been lashing out on this thread for some time. The issue, as I understand it, is that they spent $2500 or more on a legacy espresso machine and were ridiculed by their wives/girlfriends/partners for making such extravagant purchases for what amounts to a kitchen appliance. "What kind of man spends $2500 on a coffee pot?" is the general complaint.

Along comes the BDB which does a better job than their ridicule-maker and they can see they're in for a new round of abuse if the thing pans out. So naturally they want to avoid that fate.

Like I said, don't take it personally.

Posted December 13, 2011 link

Don't make me get those Australian enthusiasts over here to serve up yet another verbal beat down on you this close to Christmas.

SHCoffee Said:

Eric:

I've offended you when I truly did not mean to.  (Heck, you're the one who graciously pointed out the 30% coupon!)

I took it wrong then if you were making a joke. I forgot what a real troll looks like and I apologize for lumping you into the bubbucket o' trolls...

Honestly,

We are serious about coffee and gear but the tone I get overall from the forum regarding this machine is one of cautious optimism.  I am not sure if you are aware but one of these machines will be or already is shipping among some members of this forum (another new product - the Crossland CC1 is making a similar journey) - the cost of admission is paying freight to send it to the next tester - no one in it just to bash a new machine is likely to volunteer money to do what they can do for free if that truly is the intent.  People care about this machine and senior members are willing to part with funds to help create a review.  This forum is by and large open minded.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 4:15pm

EricBNC Said:

This forum is by and large open minded.

The forum is open-minded, some of the people not so much.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
SHCoffee
SHCoffee
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Wega/Compak K3 Elite
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 4:19pm

EricBNC Said:

I took it wrong then if you were making a joke. I forgot what a real troll looks like and I apologize for lumping you into the bubbucket o' trolls...

Peace.

EricBNC Said:

I am not sure if you are aware but one of these machines will be or already is shipping among some members of this forum (another new product - the Crossland CC1 is making a similar journey) - the cost of admission is paying freight to send it to the next tester - no one in it just to bash a new machine is likely to volunteer money to do what they can do for free if that truly is the intent.  

I remember reading about the road trip.  I am looking forward to the reports (if for no other reason than to hopefully pick up tips from the experts on how to get the most out of the machine).

Cheers.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 4:37pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Now THAT'S obnoxious . . . .

Bitches_Brew Said:

said the pot.......

OK, so is that, but rather that letting this devolve into sort sort of totally unwarranted "flame war" which calls down upon this discussion the Wrath of God moderators, I would just ask you Michael to point to ONE unwarranted comment, one example of name-calling, baiting, and/or flaming on my part in this entire thread.  There may be one -- I have not gone through and re-visited all now-eight pages of this discussion -- and so, please, point it out to me.  (We may quibble on my reply to Richard ("BubbaDude"), but I was responding to a comment I found extremely offensive, rather than calling anyone names and/or attacking a product/individual.)

Someone earlier mentions the s/n (signal-to-noise) ratio.  I would suggest, Michael, that posts such as yours and Richard's ("BubbaDude") do a disservice to the entire coffee geek community.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 4:45pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

I would suggest, Michael, that posts such as yours and Richard's ("BubbaDude") do a disservice to the entire coffee geek community.

What was offensive about my comment? You know it's true.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 4:59pm

SHCoffee Said:

I remember reading about the road trip.  I am looking forward to the reports (if for no other reason than to hopefully pick up tips from the experts on how to get the most out of the machine).

Cheers.

You and me both - I think the lessons they share will be helpful for me too - I do not consider my espresso to be even close to perfect...yet! ; )

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 5:00pm

BubbaDude Said:

You know it's true.

Actually, quite the contrary . . .

BubbaDude Said:

What was offensive about my comment?

Just about everything, I think.  Well, maybe a word or two, here and there, wasn't, but -- for the most part . . . .

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

And with that, I respectfully suggest we return to the topic at hand.  I'm done commenting upon these comments.  Let's discuss the Breville instead.  (What a novel concept!)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
rotwang
rotwang

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Pharos, KyM,  Sözen, PeDe
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: No..Cezve
Roaster: nope
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 5:02pm

Bitches_Brew Said:

said the pot . . . .

No, it really was obnoxious.  I haven't seen any members here suggesting $2,500 machines to those asking about the BDB.   I have seen geeks recommending that people look at machines of a similar price like an Oscar, BZ07, Silvano, La Nuova Era Cuadra, etc which seems fair enough to me.   Most of these actually sell for less then the BDB, so I don't see any classism going on or hyping of the "Italian machines costing twice as much" I've been hearing about lately.   And using "legacy" to describe other machines as though their owners have the coffee equivalent of Windows ME sitting in their kitchens is, well, obnoxious.  As for pots and kettles, Jason's last breathless, hysterical screed against the BDB was "and so I still remain somewhat skeptical/cautious about this machine".
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 6:34pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

I would just ask you Michael to point to ONE unwarranted comment, one example of name-calling, baiting, and/or flaming on my part in this entire thread.

i wasn't talking about this thread, just your posts in general. believe it or not some of your posts are just as obnoxious. not so much offensive obnoxious as much as annoying and contemptible obnoxious.

i would suggest, Zin, that you use a different word next time you want to call the kettle black. ;)

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
showing page 36 of 37 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > It has arrived -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.595597982407)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+