Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Woot deal - any good?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Woot deal - any...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Stiliketheblues

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Zojirushi/Hario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 5:05am
Subject: Woot deal - any good?

Saeco S-OG-SG Odea Giro Super-Automatic Espresso Machine
Click Here (home.woot.com)

This seems like a great price on the machine.
Is this machine any good? The amazon reviews are mostly nice except for the folks who received lemons.

Since everything is inside one unit - it will be spouse friendly.

It is pretty much plastic and has a small water capacity - but I can live with that...

I am curious to hear what other memebers think of this machine...

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 6:02am
Subject: Re: Woot deal - any good?

Not a fan of SA here and esp, not cheep ones. I see nothing there that would make me want to spend my money. Ease of use over quality of drink is not a choice I make.

"designed by BMW DesignworksUSA"

This is not a heart warming thought. That is like saying THIS CAR WAS MADE BY MAYTAG AND YOU KNOW HOW LONG THEY LAST.  A car manufacturer is not the first place I would go for a coffee machine.

"The ceramic disc grinder offers a steady grind but won’t absorb stray flavors"

Just what is a ceramic disc grinder? Perhaps a flat burr disc. How big? How fast does it turn? How is anything ceramic going to be any less absorbent than a metal part?

"The old methods are gone. No more stuffing coffee grounds through a wet burger-joint napkin. A grown-up wants a coffee machine like the Odea Giro Plus Super Automatic Espresso Machine, and a grown-up will immediately understand why."

Well, if you are comparing it to stuffing grounds in a wet fast food joint napkin for brewing.... I guess it will make better coffee than that, but how much better?

Me, I'll pass but if you are feeling lucky... let us know how it turns out.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 6:41am

It all depends on what you expect from the machine.

If it's a more or less decent cup of regular coffee, the results might be better than stale drip coffee made from pre-ground coffee bought at the supermarket. If it's good espresso, you'll have to forget it. A lot of people here will find it arguable if any superautomatic is capable of brewing real espresso. But at least you won't find such a machine at the price range of the Saeco Odea Giro Plus Super Automatic Espresso Machine.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 6:48am

calblacksmith Said:

"The ceramic disc grinder offers a steady grind but won’t absorb stray flavors"

Just what is a ceramic disc grinder? Perhaps a flat burr disc. How big? How fast does it turn? How is anything ceramic going to be any less absorbent than a metal part?

Posted October 26, 2011 link

I love when the marketing department starts making things up as they go along.   Especially when they invent new properties of materials....

Maybe the ceramic is glazed and fired? ;)

"The old methods are gone. No more stuffing coffee grounds through a wet burger-joint napkin. A grown-up wants a coffee machine like the Odea Giro Plus Super Automatic Espresso Machine, and a grown-up will immediately understand why."

Well, if you are comparing it to stuffing grounds in a wet fast food joint napkin for brewing.... I guess it will make better coffee than that, but how much better?

So let me see if I understand the marketing fluff here.  Children make their coffee by stuffing coffee grounds into wet burger joint napkins and...I don't know...steeping them in hot water or something.   Grown-ups want a robot to make their coffee for them.   This sells the product...how? :)
Stiliketheblues

Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 7:00am

Thank you folks!

I was skeptical too, but your posts helped me avoid blowing $400.

I will keep looking and reading till I find the Machine!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 9:51am

Stiliketheblues Said:

Saeco S-OG-SG Odea Giro Super-Automatic Espresso Machine

Have you looked at any of the other superauto threads?

calblacksmith Said:

No more stuffing coffee grounds through a wet burger-joint napkin.

I wasn't aware that you needed to do this to make espresso. :P

TheMadTamper Said:

So let me see if I understand the marketing fluff here.  Children make their coffee by stuffing coffee grounds into wet burger joint napkins and...I don't know...steeping them in hot water or something.   Grown-ups want a robot to make their coffee for them.   This sells the product...how? :)

I guess you have to consider the market that would shop for this.  Still, I'm not sure that incorrectly insulting your intended customers is the best approach.

In any case, it's Woot's marketing, not Saeco so I'm not surprised:
Click Here (www.saeco-usa.com)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:12am

Ahhh.. the old "spouse friendly/acceptance" factor.
Start from the beginning. What are the priorities.. the bottom line?
Is it the best possible cup of coffee? Does it have to be espresso?
How about the best possible rich, full-bodied cup of coffee, that is easy to make and operates in a wide range of parameters, for the least amount of money? My vote would be for the Espro Press and any good grinder, fed quality coffee. After espresso, it is my favorite coffee-making method/appliance. I do have a review of it on my website. Currently they just have the one size. A three cup model is in the works and should be out before mid-2012.. probably sooner.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Stiliketheblues

Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:40am

Priorities:
Great cup of espresso.
Not too much of a start up/wait time for things to heat up.
Not needing to upgrade for a while.
Spouse friendly, reasonable footprint.
Durable... Bang for buck if possible.
Locally serviceable (in US).

Budget: $1500 with any accessories etc. I already have a Vario for grinding.

I get good coffee I am happy with using my Hario v60 and the Aeropress. As tempted as I am, I have been resisting the Espro press.
I want to get the Espresso/latte/cappucino side covered.
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 11:57am

Stiliketheblues Said:

Priorities:
Great cup of espresso.
Not too much of a start up/wait time for things to heat up.
Not needing to upgrade for a while.
Spouse friendly, reasonable footprint.
Durable... Bang for buck if possible.
Locally serviceable (in US).

Budget: $1500 with any accessories etc. I already have a Vario for grinding.

I get good coffee I am happy with using my Hario v60 and the Aeropress. As tempted as I am, I have been resisting the Espro press.
I want to get the Espresso/latte/cappucino side covered.

You have a $1500 budget and already have a Vario and you were looking at a Saeco super-automatic....why? :)

With a budget like that, first we'll remove accessories....no need to go high end there if it affects your machine choice...a normal common tamper and a steam pitcher or three, common knock box, cleaner will tide you over.  You can wait for accessory-itis to bite you later :)  You may want to throw in a bottomless PF, and a thermometer for steaming.  Including the bottomless, I see no reason to have to go over $150 in accessories.  And most of that is the bottomless PF.  If you want tamp stands, more baskets, whatever.  There's no reason to go nuts over accessories....our $100million tamper collections are obsessions not requirements ;)

So lets say you have a $1300-1400 machine budget.  That opens the door to any entry level HX (and even a little beyond entry level), such as NS Oscar, Salvatore SES, QM Anita, Bezzera BZ07.  Plus "boiler and a half" machines like QM Silvano, Crossland CC1, and also the new Breville DB...however I'm VERY reluctant to recommend that until some more feedback comes in such as the pending road trip.  

You already have the fantastic grinder to go with any of these machines, and all of these machines (plus others that didn't come to mind) will produce a great (excellent) cup of espresso.  Depending on where your geekdom takes you, you may never need to upgrade, these are all (except maybe the CC1 which is much cheaper and aimed toward the SBDU market), and except the Breville which is truly consumer, meant for home/office/small restaurant use, and all known for excellent results.  

None of these are the largest machines around, but the Salvatore, Oscar, and BZ07 are probably the most "narrow profile" of the bunch.  The CC1 certainly is.  The Silvano may be as well.  Anita's a little wider.   The Breville is larger physically but looks more like a traditional "kitchen store appliance" rather than like specialty appliances.  "Spouse friendly" is relative....something like Anita and BZ07 is the "all chrome" look.  Oscar, CC1, look more consumer-ish.  The Salvatore is a unique aesthetic...fits well at home while still having a command presence.  On the other hand, if you like big shiny expensive things in your kitchen, none of these wouldn't fit well at home.  (How can any highly polished metal not be spouse friendly??) :)

Service....define "locally serviceable"?   The Breville is a "factory service only" type of machine like any Chinese-made consumer appliance found in a big box store.  The CC1, I'm less certain.  All the others could be serviced yourself or by any espresso repair shop.  The question is, of course, finding a repair shop anywhere outside a major metropolis :)  Unfortunately "spouse friendly" often means "plastic, sealed disposable product"...commercial-type equipment is meant to be repaired....and looks more robust.  (Note that the Oscar is plastic outside, but inside is a full semi-commercial machine, with all the brass, copper, and stainless that implies.)

So that leaves start up/wait time.  The bad news there: Espresso machines have a LOT of metal to heat up.  That's kind of the point of them.  The boilers will heat up within 10 minutes, but for most machines it takes 30-60 minutes for all that metal to reach thermal equilibrium.  Any espresso machine should either be given plenty of time to heat up, or placed on a timer for early startup.   No matter what machine you end up buying, I would consider the factors of using a timer or leaving it on a bit before using it.  Just because the boiler says it's at temperature, doesn't mean the group and all the tubing between is.  Think of when you turn your hot tap water on and have to run cold water for a while until the warm water arrives at the pipe, then it gradually gets warmer.  The cold pipes in the house are being heated by the hot water going through them.  It takes a while for that sort of thing to happen to all the metal in the espresso machine so that when you turn the pump ("faucet") on, the water's already at the right temp as soon as it comes out, without having any cold plumbing cooling the water!

Since you already have an espresso grinder....there's not much point seeking super-autos.  You're already half-way there! :)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011, 1:47pm

+1 to what TheMadTamper said.
Best bang for buck, fast heat up, reasonable footprint, great espresso... sounds like the Mypressi Twist!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Woot deal - any...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.463937997818)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+