Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best affordable super-automatic
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best affordable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
renverse

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Saeco Titan
Drip: Technivorm KBTS; Bodum...
Posted Mon Oct 24, 2011, 10:13pm
Subject: Best affordable super-automatic

I am considering to buy a super-auto machine. I have been happy using my Saeco Aroma for years. However, it will not do all the work with a push of a button, and that's what I need to get something quickly in the morning. Also, it would be much easier for my wife who does not dare to mess with the Aroma. My brother recently bought a Saeco Vienna Plus at Costco and is reasonably happy with it. I would not mind to spend perhaps a bit more, but not too much more - say $600 - $700. Costco has Saeco Odea and Talea in that range.  Are there any better choices in that price range? I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Oct 27, 2011, 8:23pm
Subject: Re: Best affordable super-automatic

renverse Said:

I am considering to buy a super-auto machine. I have been happy using my Saeco Aroma for years. However, it will not do all the work with a push of a button, and that's what I need to get something quickly in the morning. Also, it would be much easier for my wife who does not dare to mess with the Aroma. My brother recently bought a Saeco Vienna Plus at Costco and is reasonably happy with it. I would not mind to spend perhaps a bit more, but not too much more - say $600 - $700. Costco has Saeco Odea and Talea in that range.  Are there any better choices in that price range? I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Posted October 24, 2011 link

WHen you say it will not do all the work at the push of a button, what exactly are you looking for it to do?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
renverse

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2011, 6:30pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

WHen you say it will not do all the work at the push of a button, what exactly are you looking for it to do?

Len

Posted October 27, 2011 link

I expect it to grind the beans, tamp, deliver a shot, dump grinds and be ready for the next shot.  With the Aroma and my separate grinder it takes considerably longer to brew two shots in succession - I don't brew two shots from one dose.  It is a pain to brew espresso in sequence for a number of people when we have guests. I realize that I will have to empty the grinds, clean the machine, descale & such, but I need the convenience of less effort and time per shot when it is needed.
The Aroma works just fine for me during lunch break, evening or weekend when I am not in a rush. Knowing that Aroma is one of the simplest and cheapest espresso machines, I expect that the actual brewing process in an affordable super-auto will yield comparable quality.  My grinder is Saeco Titan, modified to allow finer grind - I think a super auto would include a grinder of equal or better quality.

A side note: After a few years with my Aroma, having played with non-presurized porta-filter and tried espresso from more sophisticated/expensive machines, I am a bit skeptical about the merits of spending over $1000 for a semi-automatic or manual. Quality coffee, properly ground, is much more important. After learning to get reproducible temperature I get better espresso at home from quality coffee than any coffee shop in my area (sad to say).  I trust that a super-auto, operating within well reproducible conditions, will do just fine.
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2011, 6:55pm

Wow. That may be the first triple oxymoron ever posted here.
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Sat Oct 29, 2011, 10:25am

Since you must get a super auto, I would recommend you buy a refurb from one of the vendors who advertise here.  Please understand this will not improve on the process of producing multiple milk drinks when you entertain.  If you use fresh beans you should be able to produce milk and flavored syrup drinks at least as good as Starbucks.  There is really no point in spending more than the minimum since, with the exception of the Quick Mill Monza, the machines are basicly poor quality.  The brew groups are plastic, grinders of poor quality with only a few settings...  You get the idea.

Good luck,

Fred
renverse

Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 9:01pm

Fred1 Said:

Since you must get a super auto, I would recommend you buy a refurb from one of the vendors who advertise here.  Please understand this will not improve on the process of producing multiple milk drinks when you entertain.  If you use fresh beans you should be able to produce milk and flavored syrup drinks at least as good as Starbucks.  There is really no point in spending more than the minimum since, with the exception of the Quick Mill Monza, the machines are basicly poor quality.  The brew groups are plastic, grinders of poor quality with only a few settings...  You get the idea.

Good luck,

Fred

Posted October 29, 2011 link

Thanks for the refurb suggestion - after reading user reviews here, on Amazon and few other places, I have been tilting towards this option.  I do think, based on the user reivews I read, that there is some correlation between price and quality (there better be one!).  I am unlikely to find a refurb Monza below $1k, but I saw a number of machines in the $1200 - $1700 available around $800 as refurbs. My planned budget creeped up a bit, but that's OK.
I have been clear on the issue of milk drinks from the start, we don't make many of those.  I have no use for flavored sirups either.
donnydregs
donnydregs

Espresso: Elektra A3 / MCAL / E61 Two...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini / HG-One (soon)
Posted Mon Oct 31, 2011, 12:53am

renverse Said:

I expect it to grind the beans, tamp, deliver a shot, dump grinds and be ready for the next shot.

Posted October 28, 2011 link

I had one of those once. It also did the vacuuming. Then she left me for a younger man:-(
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Oct 31, 2011, 2:01am

renverse Said:

Quality coffee, properly ground, is much more important. After learning to get reproducible temperature I get better espresso at home from quality coffee than any coffee shop in my area (sad to say).  I trust that a super-auto, operating within well reproducible conditions, will do just fine.

Having worked with a portafilter machine and a non-pressurized PF, you'll find that using a superautomatic will probably be a change for the worse as far as quality coffee is concerned.

The integrated grinder of such a coffee maker can lead to warming of the stored coffee beans due to the heat of the boiler. Also, those grinders are often inferior. Most non-commercial superautomatics are technically not up to brewing real espresso. They have a so-called crema valve, a device similar to a pressurized prtafilter, so that they produce foamed coffee instead of crema. Being built mostly from plastic parts, their thermostability is desastrous. They are high maintenance, break down easily and have high cost of repairs.

So maybe you should think twice about what you really want.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 31, 2011, 7:48am

So, you know that super-autos are generally frowned upon here, don't you?

renverse Said:

I expect it to grind the beans, tamp, deliver a shot, dump grinds and be ready for the next shot.  With the Aroma and my separate grinder it takes considerably longer to brew two shots in succession - I don't brew two shots from one dose.  It is a pain to brew espresso in sequence for a number of people when we have guests. I realize that I will have to empty the grinds, clean the machine, descale & such, but I need the convenience of less effort and time per shot when it is needed.

As long as you favor convenience over quality, a super-auto will serve you well . . .

renverse Said:

Knowing that Aroma is one of the simplest and cheapest espresso machines, I expect that the actual brewing process in an affordable super-auto will yield comparable quality.

Well, as long as your sights are kept low . . .

renverse Said:

My grinder is Saeco Titan, modified to allow finer grind - I think a super auto would include a grinder of equal or better quality.

The grinders in HOME-designed super-autos tend to be one of the weakest parts of the machine, so that isn't necessarily an assumption I would make.

renverse Said:

A side note: After a few years with my Aroma, having played with non-presurized porta-filter and tried espresso from more sophisticated/expensive machines, I am a bit skeptical about the merits of spending over $1000 for a semi-automatic or manual.

Well, let's just say that few of us here are that skeptical, but -- admittedly -- you are not completely alone in that point of view.

renverse Said:

Quality coffee, properly ground, is much more important.

Each of the four "M's" is important, with the grinder perhaps being "the most important among equals" (shades of "Animal Farm," I know).

renverse Said:

After learning to get reproducible temperature I get better espresso at home from quality coffee than any coffee shop in my area (sad to say).

Sad, true, but hardly surprising.

renverse Said:

I trust that a super-auto, operating within well reproducible conditions, will do just fine.

You have far more trust than many of us here.

Cheers,
Jason

P.S.  In anticipation of breakdowns, I, too, would look at refurbished (as in "don't spend a lot of money") machines with a good warranty (as in "free repairs," though you'll probably have to pay for shipping).

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Oct 31, 2011, 7:58am

renverse Said:

Knowing that Aroma is one of the simplest and cheapest espresso machines, I expect that the actual brewing process in an affordable super-auto will yield comparable quality.

Not likely though it is certainly possible that you may find the product of a superauto to be acceptable.  Few around here do so this probably isn't the best place to ask for advice on a superauto (see all prior superauto threads).

renverse Said:

My brother recently bought a Saeco Vienna Plus at Costco and is reasonably happy with it.

Posted October 24, 2011 link

That's great but what do you think about what it produces?  I know people that are reasonably happy with their steam toys but that doesn't mean that I'll find what they produce to be acceptable.  How in line are your espresso tastes with your brother's?  I love my brother dearly but I wouldn't trust his taste in espresso.  He's just not as discerning as it's not a priority to him.

It has been a while since I checked but Costco used to have generous return policies.  You may want to consider buying from a vendor that is more accommodating on returns just in case.  No matter how much you read it's ultimately first hand experience that will really give you your definitive answer.

renverse Said:

After a few years with my Aroma, having played with non-presurized porta-filter and tried espresso from more sophisticated/expensive machines, I am a bit skeptical about the merits of spending over $1000 for a semi-automatic or manual. Quality coffee, properly ground, is much more important.

Which "more sophisticated/expensive" machines have you tried and under what conditions?  In other words, any machine ("high end" or not) paired with a poor grinder and stale beans will not produce decent results.

You mention that grind is more important but have you researched grind adjustability (not only how well you can adjust but how easily) on the superautos you're considering?  How are you determining the grinder quality in the superautos that you're looking at?  You seem to just be assuming that superautos have good grinders in them based on your "I expect" and "I think" statements.

renverse Said:

I do think, based on the user reivews I read, that there is some correlation between price and quality (there better be one!).

Posted October 30, 2011 link

I wouldn't fixate so much on price meaning anything other than what you're paying for the machine.  Low price does not automatically equal high quality when it comes to what you end up with in the cup.  High price does not automatically mean high quality in the cup either.

renverse Said:

After learning to get reproducible temperature I get better espresso at home from quality coffee than any coffee shop in my area (sad to say).  I trust that a super-auto, operating within well reproducible conditions, will do just fine.

It really depends on your preferences and priorities. If, as stated above, you place convenience above all else then a superauto may be a good fit.

"Better than any coffee shop in my area" is typically a very low bar to set.  It's very easy to exceed what most coffee shops produce even with entry level equipment.  If you're looking for a god shot in the cup it's difficult to achieve with most superautos.  Again, you have to determine where your priorities lie and where you're willing to compromise.  Coffee geeks typically aren't willing to compromise so much or else they wouldn't be coffee geeks.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best affordable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.590625047684)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+