Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
chefryan
chefryan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Magica
Grinder: Compak K-3 Touch
Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011, 6:42pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 Modification Guide & Ideas

you dont need to be full since if you over fill the filter basket the grounds dont have space to expand.if you put your tamped espresso into the machine then remove it and see the dispersion screen imprint or see fresh grinds on the screen then you have the basket too full..
 View Profile Link to this post
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011, 7:24pm

Bionerd Said:

This is directed at Nick:

I've been having the same problem with two-cup replacement basket. I usually weigh out 18grams of coffee, but this doesn't fill the basket high enough to allow me to smooth out the top.
It seems to me that this is a cause for the uneven extractions and channeling that I'm seeing. Also I've never been able to get a nice solid puck after the extraction.
I was wondering if you've found a way around this and if you think the one-cup basket might be a better way to go?

Posted October 6, 2011 link

Hello Ryan, and welcome to coffeegeek! Ya know, I don't remember what it is exactly that I fixed the problem, but I no longer have the issue. I also use 18g, and there is a good-sized gap between the dispersion plate and the top of the puck. I was asking around about it, and the general consensus was the distance between puck and group head dosen't matter, and I seem to recall at least one person saying it was detrimental to the shot to have the puck fully fill that space after pre-infusion.

Here is one discussion when I was trying to work all that out:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/general/530770
This one may be helpful also, it has a good explanation of pressure that really changed my concept of espresso: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/538477

I'll give you the same advice calblacksmith gave me, keep measuring 18g and tamping consistently but grind fine enough to choke the machine then back off until you get about 2 oz in ~28 seconds.

I don't see a grinder on your profile, so I'll ask the classic question: What grinder are you using and how fresh is the coffee? Also, are you using the stock pressurized portafilter?

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
~Nick

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Bionerd

Espresso: EC155
Grinder: Hario mini
Posted Fri Oct 7, 2011, 10:51am

I'm currently using the Hario mini hand grinder and the delonghi two-cup filter basket that you recommended in earlier posts. I don't use anything that's been roasted for more than two weeks so fresh coffee shouldn't be the issue.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten the grind settings right. My main concern is that I can't get an even extraction.

Thanks for the advice,
Ryan
Bionerd

Posted Fri Oct 7, 2011, 1:59pm

Also I was wondering if you ever found a solution for the "mud" problem that you mentioned in the other post.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Sun Oct 9, 2011, 12:32am

Bionerd Said:

Also I was wondering if you ever found a solution for the "mud" problem that you mentioned in the other post.

Posted October 7, 2011 link

There were a couple of things that caused the mud problem. For me, beginning the extraction with steaming water caused this (how insolent I was!), and skipping pre-infusion occasionally caused this. Having the grind set fine with a light tamp caused this, as did having a courser grind, regardless of tamp pressure. Due to the lack of a three-way solenoid valve, the puck will nearly always have water above it after an extraction; the difference is it isn't totally mixed with the grounds.

I'm sorry that I missed the point of your first question regarding the channeling and evenness of the shot. For some reason I read it a different way and probably gave an answer to a question you didn't have :D Hopefully I can say something useful this time.

For me, the 18g fills the basket up all the way. Perhaps an electric grinder "fluffs" it more? I usually brush a minimal amount off when distributing the grounds, but I sort of take a bit out of the center to form a bowl. The only major channeling I had gotten was between the puck and the walls of the basket, so having a bit more grounds around the edge helps. I'm not sure if that really answers the question, but it is worth a try.

Perhaps adding a little more coffee might help? The slightly up-dosed shot could be worth having a proper distribution of grounds...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
~Nick

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
Bionerd

Posted Sun Oct 9, 2011, 2:08pm

I'll try up-dosing it a little bit. I just got a different blend of espresso beans and it seems like it's filling up the basket a little more then the previous one. Perhaps these beans are lighter and so I get more volume out of the same weight? I also seem to have less of a channeling issue now.

You mentioned pre-infusion. I was wondering how you go about doing this?

Thanks a bunch
Ryan
ahavriluk

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Oct 9, 2011, 5:29pm

I am EC155 owner too. Whatever I tried to do wasn't working. Eventually, I gave up on this machine and got myself Quick Mill Silvano. Big difference.

Thank you,
Alexander.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Sun Oct 9, 2011, 8:19pm

Alexander, I'd hope so for the extra $810 it cost you.

Anyway, Ryan, pre-infusion is simply running the pump a bit then turning it off to saturate the puck and let it expand a bit. I use that term not quite as it should be, for a number of reasons, but that's fine for now :D I usually do it by attaching the portafilter, turning the pump on for two seconds then off for two seconds. I repeat that once or twice more then leave the pump on like normal.

I'm not sure about the science behind it, but it makes a noticeable difference in the shot quality.

Cheers,
~Nick

ahavriluk

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Oct 9, 2011, 10:16pm

Nickfrogger Said:

Alexander, I'd hope so for the extra $810 it cost you.

Posted October 9, 2011 link

Actually, $710 more. But I guess, that what those machines with PID and manometer cost.
Before I switched to Silvano, I got better results with my EC155 when I grinned finer and timed from the first drop.

Thank you,
Alexander.
Bionerd

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011, 7:40am

So when do you start counting time for the shot when pre-infusing? and also how long of an extraction?
showing page 3 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.413404941559)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+