Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Forte, Lelit PL53, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011, 8:31am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 Modification Guide & Ideas

Bionerd Said:

So when do you start counting time for the shot when pre-infusing? and also how long of an extraction?

Posted October 10, 2011 link

Start your count when you see the espresso leave the bottom of the basket. I usually try for 28 seconds for about 1 3/4 oz, but a bit quicker wouldn't hurt that much. When I talked to a barista about it, he told me not to be afraid of pulling them a bit quicker and then working up to the longer extraction, and that worked for me.
Cheers,
~Nick

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
critikay
critikay

Espresso: Delonghi EC155 modded Naked...
Grinder: Hario Hand Grinder
Roaster: Local
Posted Tue Oct 11, 2011, 8:16am

I posted a thread on this machine (as a good college intro setup paired with a hario hand grinder). I've been using it for over a month (drinking coffee for years) . I think it should be noted that you have to open the steam valve and turn it all the way like 3 or 4 times to get the full ability of the steam wand.

After I figured that out, it seemed to be producing quite decent steamed milk AND foam..enough in my opinion to not need to mod the steam wand at all. It should be noted that usually use half and half though...but it worked the same with milk.
 View Profile Link to this post
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2011, 12:20pm

Hey Darian,
   It is just a wonderfully fun little machine on a budget, isn't it? By the way, how do you like the Hario for espresso?

For me, it wasn't the volume of foam but the texture. The frother made a really dry, large foam when I'm interested in a more uniform and wetter foam for art. It is a lot easier to control the process with the modded tip, but for the commonly accepted idea cappuccino the frother would work. I must admit I only used the frothing aid a few times before I cut it off, so perhaps some experimenting would have yielded similar results, but the cut tip gave me what I wanted right away.

Cheers,
~Nick

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
critikay
critikay

Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011, 3:54pm

Nick,

The Hario is nice for sure. You just really have to finesse it to get the correct grind for the beans you have. (After reading the thread I think the best way is to grind fine enough to choke the machine and then back off until you get a good timed shot.)

The longer you let the machine sit and heat up the better the foam...so in the long run I think it might make sense to mod the steam wand actually because I don't always have all day.
critikay
critikay

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2012, 6:57pm

So I just got my new basket and portafilter in the mail (I ordered off the delonghi site and they took basically a month to get here).

Nick, How did you manage to file the screwhole inside in the portafilter? Also how'd you manage to cut the bottom part of the portafilter?

I'm assuming you used so heavy duty tools or something.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Sun Feb 12, 2012, 1:17pm

Hah, classic Delonghi :)
To file the screw thing down, I just used a wood file like this one (for reference only). You can pick them up for probably $5 at a local hardware store. It took a while, but it wasn't too hard to file it just enough where the basket gets held into the pf by the remaining stump. The basket falling out whenever I knock the puck out was pretty annoying.

To cut the bottom plastic part, I unscrewed it from the top then just cut the front part off with a band saw. I'm sure a hack saw or jigsaw would work fine (you might even succeed with a steak knife :D ).

If you have any other questions, let me know!

~Nick

Weeksy79

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Delonghi EC152CD
Grinder: Delonghi KG40
Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012, 4:45am

Hey guys! New member here so go easy on me. I've joined specifically for this thread, although I'm using the EC152CD (which is basically the exact same machine). First off I'd like to say thanks to all the previous posters who have got me to the point I'm at now with an unpressurised naked portafilter :D (a mini hacksaw works great for the screw hole removal by the way). I'm also having a few problems though, I'm using the Delonghi replacement double basket and I'm having some issues with spray and under-extraction. I have no scales at the minute so dosing is possibly the issue but I'm thinking of trying the Krups basket instead as I have the best coffee in the UK at my disposal and I'm getting a bit annoyed by not being able to enjoy it properly (I'm almost tempted to resort back to my stove-top). So what do you reckon guys?
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:26am

First off Jonathan, welcome to CoffeeGeek! As far as the underextraction and channeling (the spraying usually indicates channeling or a slightly clogged filter hole), a number of things can cause that.
I don't see a grinder on your profile, do you have one? If so, what is it?
What coffee are you using? How long has it been since it was roasted (not purchased)?
Least importantly, how are you distributing grounds?

I'm glad you've found the site useful already. It is really a great community and you will learn more than you ever wanted to about coffee if you stick around :)

~Nick

Weeksy79

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Delonghi EC152CD
Grinder: Delonghi KG40
Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 1:42am

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

No grinder at the minute unfortunately (I'm an apprentice so money = scarce). The coffee is Hasbean and the bag I'm on currently was roasted on the 6th so it's still fresh as a daisy. I'm spooning the grounds in before de-lumping with a pin and then tamping with a nice solid tamper. Also note I try to pull as soon as the boiler has reached temperature (even though it's rarely above 70c at that point).
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:39pm

Weeksy79 Said:

No grinder at the minute unfortunately...

Posted February 14, 2012 link

Ok. It will be very difficult to get a passable shot (and impossible to get a really good one) from pre-ground coffee. Most of us on CG argue that the grinder is more important than the machine itself. I'd say get a grinder as soon as your budget lets you. Darian (critikay) mentioned above that he is using a Hario hand mill with his Delonghi, and I've had success with one as well. Hand grinders are softer on the wallet :)

The rest of your routine sounds good, I'd start with that and see what happens.

Hope that helps,

~Nick

showing page 4 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.435349941254)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+