Espresso: Espresso Machines
Any one here have a Crossland CC1 yet?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any one here...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 13, 2011, 8:08pm
Subject: Re: Any one here have a Crossland CC1 yet?

ampguy Said:

You can open the steam valve and get powerful steam for days.

Posted September 13, 2011 link

I'm a big fan of Bill's and think he did a great job on the CC1, so forgive me for being skeptical about your statement.  

If you don't mind, can you please quantify a bit by timing a steaming operation?  For example, I'd like to see a report on how long it takes to steam 5 ounces of milk (in a 12 ounce pitcher) from 40F to 150F (use your actual temperatures of course).  

It would help to show video of steampower swirling the milk in a pitcher, and/or show the microfoam and/or show some latte art.

Thanks in advance

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 12:01am

germantownrob Said:

...The biggest problem with SBDU machines is the waiting to go between steam and brew, the cc1 you can't brew and steam at the same time but at least with the thermoblock steam can be done with no waiting. The Silvano you can steam and pull a shot at the same time.

Posted July 11, 2011 link

Also the thermoblock enhanced steaming of the CC1 relieves you from waiting for the boiler to cool again before you can pull your next shot, because it doesn't have to heat up for frothing milk. Other than with a SBDU.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
ampguy
ampguy
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 6:24am

Hi Jon,

Yes, I can do this. Give me some time to clean the kitchen, and show my son how to operate my Sony NEX. Thanks.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 7:07am

ampguy Said:

The time to steam x volume to x degrees may depend on the volume and temp drop of your last shot pulled and vice versa..

Posted September 13, 2011 link

Since the machine uses a separate thermoblock for steaming I am unsure about how the performance of the extraction affects steaming unless the steam feed line goes through the boiler to preheat it, and even than the effect would be minimal.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 7:10am

frcn Said:

...unless the steam feed line goes through the boiler to preheat it, and even than the effect would be minimal.

Posted September 14, 2011 link

As far as I know the thermoblock uses hot water from the brewing boiler for steaming.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
bigpointyforceps
bigpointyforceps

Espresso: Crossland CC1; Breville...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso; Solis...
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Nesco CR-1010-PRR
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:36am
Subject: My CC1 Arrives on Friday!

I have ordered a CC1 from Seattle Coffee Gear and it should be arriving this Friday.  Unfortunately I'm going to be away for a couple of weeks, but when I do get back I'll try to photograph/record some test shots.  I've actually managed to get my hands on a bottomless portafilter for the CC1, so with any luck we can all critique the nitty-gritty of the machine.  

FWIW, I'll be using the CC1 with a Baratza Virtuoso, and will be roasting some green beans from Sweet Marias.  Frankly, we may end up critiquing my terrible technique rather than the machine, but nonetheless I'll try to post something up here/YouTube by the end of the month.  

Before anyone asks, I believe Crossland Coffee is going to be producing some bottomless portafilters in about a month; I've just been fortunate enough to get one a little early, hand made by Bill Crossland himself!  That's what you call fantastic customer service :o)

This is the first time I've spent "real money" on an espresso machine, though this will be my fourth one overall.  Really looking forward to playing with this new toy.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:44am
Subject: Re: My CC1 Arrives on Friday!

Maybe a test to see the time it takes to "steam" a pitcher of cool water from X F to 150 would answer a number of questions. It does make sense that water is drawn from the boiler to feed the thermoblock. I would think that once the machine was warmed up that whether you steam before or after an extraction wouldn't matter much in terms of steaming power... But that's just a hypothesis.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
ginalola

Espresso: Alex Duetto II; Pasquini...
Grinder: (2) Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 2:11pm

Well, I'm confused.  What is the difference between the CC1 and the GEE??
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 3:17pm

ginalola Said:

Well, I'm confused.  What is the difference between the CC1 and the GEE??

Posted September 14, 2011 link

Not sure, but this may be helpful : CLICK

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
ginalola

Espresso: Alex Duetto II; Pasquini...
Grinder: (2) Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 4:25pm

Thanks for the link...it helped; however, I'm still surprised that after all the chatter about a 'game-changing' machine, there isn't a game-changing machine. I watched a video of the CC1, and it seemed to be slow in making the adjustment to steam, and as for appearance, the GEE and the CC1 are not the most exciting espresso machines relative to what is on the market.  I hope that the CC2 will be a solo act, more eye-catching, and faster.  I hate to say this, but I would not have bet my house on the CC1; perhaps the CC2 is the real game-changer.
showing page 4 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any one here...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.466808795929)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+