Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Can the pump pressure on the Isomac Venus be adjusted?
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can the pump...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bobpaule
bobpaule
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Venus, Enrico...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky...
Drip: I'd rather seize!
Roaster: Galloping G/Stir Crazy, FR8...
Posted Thu Aug 12, 2004, 12:38pm
Subject: Re: Can the pump pressure on the Isomac Venus be adjusted?

Amen Brothers:

My Venus started shooting down the PF release valve for past 1-2 days at the beginning of shots. Needless to say it was at factory settings  and the pump gauge shot up to 16 bar every day.

I found this thread and it saved me a lot. Now the pump is chugging at 9.5 bar and i am a happy camper again.

Thank you Jim Schulmann, you are a true genius. If you ever had blood drawn for labs i am sure it would be brown, cause i think that you have espresso flowing through your veins. You and your posts have been a great source of inspiration. I love your thouroughly scientific approach. We amateurs bow in front of your genius :)))
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nmayweather

Espresso: expobar office, isomac venus
Grinder: mini mazzer
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: mr coffee sp3
Roaster: toastmaster popper
Posted Fri Aug 13, 2004, 3:03pm

after 2 weeks of deteriorating shots followed by 2 weeks of rancid crap coming out of my venus, i tried this.

wow.  not just drinkable, but good.

i am not regretting my venus for now, and she's safe from ebay for a while longer.
 View Profile Link to this post
zephyrus
zephyrus
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky- Doser
Drip: Bodum F.P. w/ Swissgold
Roaster: WB Poppery (1500w)
Posted Sat Aug 14, 2004, 3:59pm

Perfect timing for this thread, as I just replaced the pump in my Venus.  Interestingly, the replacement pump (through Aabree) appears to be American made rather than Italian, and is of higher quality that the original.  Nevertheless, the machine still chugs along at about 14 bar.  

Jeff

"If it wasn't for coffee, I'd have no discernible personality at all."

-David Letterman
nmayweather

Posted Sat Aug 14, 2004, 5:50pm

Ok -- need some help here:

I noticed some water dripping from behind the machine as i pull shots after modifying the pressure

I opened the machine back up, and discovered something I should have realized yesterday -- the pressure release nut/valve is  considerably smaller than the pipe it is threaded into.  its probably been dripping  some water forever -- and I've just noticed it now, because i'm more aware.  but whether i loosen or tighten the fitting, it 'wobbles' slightly in the pipe, and some water comes out through the  threadings (not a leak where it meets the silicon tube, but where it threads into the metal)

I'll be calling the vendor on monday first thing, and am scared to turn the machine on until then, as some wires are right below this.  

Can anyone confirm on their machine though, if their pressure release is slightly 'wobbly' and smaller than the pipe it is fit into?

btw,  i found it easiest to turn the nut by unsnaking the exhaust tube, and just turning that
bobpaule
bobpaule

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2004, 12:29pm

Same problem here:)

After i released the valve it started dripping. Not much just a few drops mostly after shots. I opened it again and removed some some wiring from the direct path of the water, which BTW luckily wants to drop directly into drip tray around the small opening for steam wand.

Not much of a nuisance but enough to worry about. My next step would some teflon tape around the nut.

Input on this one appreciated greatly. What an informative thread BTW. Just like the poster earlier said "it restored my confidence in Venus".

Bob
bobpaule
bobpaule

Posted Sat Sep 4, 2004, 10:40am

OK latest twist on dripping valve:)

I noticed the dripping continued and furthermore the pressure inched up again to 11 bar.

While adjusting the valve i noticed that the valve is at the limit of its thread, ie it will blow out (nasty thing boyz and gals dont have your hand in the way) if i try to set it at 9 bar.

So i did some soul searching and i realized i needed to decrease the spring pressure. Two methods i came out with:

1. Cut the spring. Ugly, potentially trouble for the future, as the original end is smoothly tapered.

2. Drill the valve screw!!!! Eureka, there i went. Put the valve screw (Jim will tell us the true part name) in the vise and drill pressed it to DEEPEN THE INTERNAL OPENING that holds the spring.

Now i have the screw in more than half way and  pressure gauge shows 10 bar (EEEH HAAAH!). No more leaks whatsoever as the little gasket now engages fully.

Disclaimer: The above should not be interpreted as instruction or encouragement to perform the poster's modification. Serious injury or death could result from it. It will automatically void your warranty.
nmayweather

Posted Sun Sep 19, 2004, 10:38am

there are 3 metal shops on my block ( i live in an industrial neighborhood ) -- i went around asking them all to vice and drill press it for me, and they all were too busy and said to try back in a few days, and they'd be happy to help

well, that didn't work for me

i realized that my Venus should never have been shipped as-is

let me illustrate how the assembly works, with bad diagrams

the pressure release looks like this

{------------////////   ((((( +|

{ is the exhaust hose

is a rubber gasket fit into a score

--- is plain pipe

/// are threads

the //// threaded area has a wide internal opening, into which a spring (((((  with a teflon padded nut +| fits into

very simply, the tighter one  screws the assembly into the brass fittings, the more pressure is necessary to compress the spring further and allow water to escape through to the hose

with the spring calibrated to 10bars, the rubber gasket is outside of the assembly, causing internal dripping.

worse yet, this happens until the spring is calibrated to over 12 bars, meaning my espresso tastes like ass.

by my calculations, i needed either a spring 1/8 inch shorter, or a well 1/8 inch deeper MINIMUM to achive 9bars-- and that the wells on the unit should be 1/4 inch deeper

the machine shops were all busy with contract work, no local hardware shops (or machine shops) had springs or fittings i could use,  and a recent trip to Gimme Coffee left me hungering for espresso

so i had a crazy idea that worked.

i placed my spring in a monkey wrench, and compressed it fully tightening the  wrench locking the spring in place

then i took a chef's torch, and heated the spring until glowing red.  i dunked it in ice water and voila -- a shorter spring.

unfortunately, that ended up shrinking the spring to that size (who knew?!) -- i figured it would only marginally shorten it.

i then had to pull it apart with 2 pliers to the right length, and torched till red again.

works like a charm

my venus is again making acceptable espresso -- it would be  a bit better if i can get it to caramelize sugars more though.  i might have to play with the boiler next.

Disclaimer: The above should be interpreted as instruction or encouragement to perform a modification similar to the psoter. The poster, however, assumes no liability for any actions.  Any decistion to perform a modification is entirely at the discretion of readers. Serious injury or death could result from any modifications. Modifications may void your warranty -- but its just a spring, and you could easily locate a replacement spring if necessary.  Hell, I doubt any repair technician would notice that the spring is altered.
bobpaule
bobpaule

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 11:24am

Hey if push comes to shove take an appropriate size drill bit and lock into some kind of a grip (say the rubber from a mouse pad will hold it nicely). Brass is easy to cut and a sharp new drill bit will do it. Never try to drill into it with a handheld drill,  the results could be disastruous as i learned trying to fix an RV water pump a few years ago (you cant control the cutting depth and once the cutting surface engages it can go pretty deep).

I like your illustration of the problem. ISOMAC WAKE UP AND START MAKING DECENT PRESSURE REGULATORS!

Sad how a tiny part can ruin a machine. Once fixed it is a Silvia beater:)

Bob
nmayweather

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 11:56am

well, you could do that

but setting the spring is so much easier

my next venus projects include:
  new dispersion plate + shower screen
  PID mounted internally
bobpaule
bobpaule

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 5:41pm

I am with you on the PID. For a relatively small machine the Venus seems to have quite a bit of spare room.

I would love to learn how to PID it.

Bob
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can the pump...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.392697095871)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+