Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
*NEW* Looking for an Espresso Machine!
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > *NEW* Looking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
EricAnn

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jul 29, 2011, 4:38pm
Subject: *NEW* Looking for an Espresso Machine!

Hello!

I'm brand new to this site - well, besides the occasional visit to look at some reviews and whatnot - and I'm looking to buy an espresso machine and can't quite seem to find what I'm looking for. I am a Barista at my local coffee shop, so I do have experience pulling shots, steaming milk, etc., so a machine with some skill needed will be ok. You're probably wondering why I don't already have an espresso machine then, well, when the coffee shop is 50 steps away and it's free, it becomes far too tempting to just walk over and get my coworkers to make my drink for me, haha. But I'm moving in a month and will need a machine to maintain my espresso need. I don't know a whole lot about espresso machines beyond the one I use at work and that's why I'm here, hoping someone can help. :)

I'm looking for a semi-automatic/automatic, dual boiler, good/great milk steaming ability, I don't believe I'll be able to connect to the plumbing at the new place but having the ability too might come in handy later on down the road, and I'm hoping not to spend more than $1000 (give or take a couple hundred dollars, I just don't have like $2000 to spend) on the machine alone (the grinder and whatnot will/can be extra).

Thank you sooooo much for your help!

E

Oh, and I am in Canada and I know some machines aren't available here/some sellers/manufacturers won't ship here, so please don't tell me about a machine I can't get, I don't want to get my hopes up, haha! :)
 View Profile Link to this post
iDrinkCoffeeCanada

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP, Speedster,...
Grinder: Versalab, Robur E
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Roaster: Diedrich IR-12
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2011, 5:50pm
Subject: Re: *NEW* Looking for an Espresso Machine!

Hello and welcome,

Judging by your budget and your requirements I would suggest an entry level heat exchanger such as the Bezzera BZ07.

also

If you do a search on other threads you will likely find hundreds of other discussions about very similar situations.

SJ

Find www.iDrinkCoffee.com on facebook and become a fan for deals, contests and more.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Jul 30, 2011, 12:12am

Given your budget and your wish to get a dual boiler, you should probably look for a refurbished/used machine. A Vibiemme Domobar Junior DB would be a good suggestion. However, you should plan to spend at least $300 on a decent grinder.

On the other hand, why do you need a DB? A semi-automatic lever action espresso machine with a heat exchanger Faema E61 brew head works just as well, is easier to maintain and cheaper. The Rocket Espresso Cellini Evolutione, for example, has both options: water tank and plumbing. A new one exceeds of course your budget, too.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
bionic75007

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hot Top
Posted Mon Aug 1, 2011, 5:01pm

I had a similar sort of aspect on coffee gear.  What I opted for -- in fact, just pulled my first shots upon -- was a Quick Mill Silvano.  Yes, it was available in a first run for a discounted $795, but now is $995.

My first shots came out very nicely -- a balance between rich earthiness with acid to give it some character.  I consider myself a total newb and my shots came out more than acceptable, they came out just shy of excellent.  And I know my technique is bound to improve as I pay more attention, and get more practice with the details...

I love coffee; roast my own beans with a Hot Top roaster.  That's been out of my cycle for a while; this first espresso run was Peets French Roast ground using my old cheap burr grinder.  I'm waiting for the Baratza Vario-W to come out to get a proper grinder.

The combination of those two puts me right about $1550 US, if the predictions for the Vario-W prices are firm.

My experience is obviously just beginning, but honestly I'm surprised I had such success straight out of the gate, especially with a cheap grinder.  I'd had Illy espresso pre-ground in a LaPavoni lever machine I've had for years, and I could never get anything but sink shots.  The LaPavoni is now on the shelf.  Maybe after I cut my teeth some I'll resume tinkering with it.

Steve
MikeReilly

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Mon Aug 1, 2011, 9:35pm

You probably won't be finding a decent DB machine in your price range unless you can find a good deal on a used machine.  That said, my brother got a deal on an open box Brewtus II and Mazzer Mini combo from WLL at close enough to your price range (although we split the prize in the end - he got the Brewtus II and I got the grinder as he already had that end covered).

For new machines, your price limit really puts you in the HX category.  Nothing wrong with HX's, though.  There's a bit of getting used to the flushing routine but once you have that down you're basically set.  A decent HX and a Vario should have you in good shape imho.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Aug 2, 2011, 6:08am

There is no difference between an HX (heat exchanger) machine and a DB (double boiler) machine in the cup, which is after all where it counts.  And your budget definitely puts you in the HX camp!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Aug 2, 2011, 6:37am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

There is no difference between an HX (heat exchanger) machine and a DB (double boiler) machine in the cup, which is after all where it counts.  And your budget definitely puts you in the HX camp!

Posted August 2, 2011 link

Words of wisdom.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > *NEW* Looking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370273113251)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+