Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Any one here have a Crossland CC1 yet?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any one here...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bure82

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 4:04pm
Subject: Re: Any one here have a Crossland CC1 yet?

i think i know where the problem is now

might be my gasket is a bit dry so i moist it with water and it's a lot smoother.  my handle goes about the same as you too
 View Profile Link to this post
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 10:58pm

bure82,
Thanks for the update.  Never would have thought the issue was lubricating the gasket.  Normally we do not lubricate the gasket for fear of auto removal under pressure.  I have seen this and there was a thread a while ago where a GS3 portafilter was rotating under pressure.  It was finally discovered that there was too much lubrication on the portafilter gasket.  Maybe I shoudl start putting a light layer during assembly just to ease the insertion of the portafilter?  Just tried it on the one in the shop and work great.  I am using silicone based food grade lube.

BillC
bure82

Posted Wed Oct 5, 2011, 6:45am

i tried to have a better look this morning.   last night i made the pf fit smoothly and after i ran a shot this morning, the pf dont go back in nicely.  i notice that the heat from the group head dry up the moisture on the gasket pretty quickly so it's hard to put it back in smoothly.  i dont have any of those lube, where would i find them.  i add some cooking oil on it this morning to get it back in.  is kitchen oil ok
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Wed Oct 5, 2011, 10:28am

bure82,
Organic oil is not the greatest to use on rubber parts.  PM me and I will figure out how to get you a small amount of the USDA/NSF grease I use by mail.

http://www.super-lube.com/

BillC
bure82

Posted Wed Oct 5, 2011, 4:30pm

billc Said:

bure82,
Organic oil is not the greatest to use on rubber parts.  PM me and I will figure out how to get you a small amount of the USDA/NSF grease I use by mail.

http://www.super-lube.com/

BillC

Posted October 5, 2011 link

sent you the info to your email, thanks for all the help
eeeehaw
eeeehaw
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1, Francis...
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 2:08am

Just bought the CC1 yesterday (from SCG retail storefront), primarily after coming across their video during my research. $699, minus 10% discount for their current sale campaign.   I'm not at all at the level of the senior coffee geeks posting on this forum, but I think I'm the prime target market for this consumer machine.  Was favoring the Breville BES840XL before discovering the CC1, had the chance to compare with the Silvia, and am hoping that I made the right purchase decision for both performance and reliabiilty/durability.

I am quite impressed with the quality of microfoam milk produced with little effort.  Especially happy with the fast warm-up time for steam.  Not as happy with the warm-up time for brewing (spoiled by the Francis Francis X1 I previously used, which heated up in half the time, but then it has a smaller boiler).  Have been making a lot of shots to dial in grind (Breville SuperGrinder).  Just getting started but looking good so far.  Good crema and shot quality.  Tall cup height is important to me, and this machine can take it.

The biggest shortcoming IMO is the user manual.  Very skimpy.  No explanations & tips at all for P6-P9 settings (PID settings), no mention of back-flushing.

Wish the water tank was larger, but happy it removes from the front for the frequent fill-ups.  However, the discharge tube placed right in front of the tank is a curiously placed hassle, interfering with tank removal.  Wish it was routed behind and under the tank into the drip tray, or some other solution that places it out of the way (better yet, out of sight).

Despite some criticism of the machine's looks (style) by some on this forum, I don't find it ugly.  My kids think it looks "fancy".  Perhaps would have been better to have a stainless front panel instead of black (plastic?).  Beautiful industrial package design can make a huge difference in product sales (consider Sony, Apple, Breville); however, this machine isn't ugly and should do well against all other machines in its price range, except Breville's better looking design.

Value?  I think it will take some explanation to convince people that the CC1 is worth the current price tag, which in my case was arguably easier because of the research I already invested into my next purchase candidates, current technology, etc...far more than the average consumer, I submit.  Many consumers will be "moving up" from a Starbucks or similar machine, and likely won't have the patience or aptitude to do the research I did. If SCG had not done their videos and write-ups, AND educated their sale staff on the merits of the CC1, I might not have ultimately become aware of the CC1's purportedly better feature set & performance.  Altho SCG tells me that the Silvia is considered the real competitor to the CC1, I submit it really is the Breville 840/860/900, as most potential customers will be looking at Breville and likely will not have even heard of the Silvia.  A better website than Crossland currently has would help potential customers evaluate before purchase; more needs to be done to help consumers understand what and how the CC1 works to make a better shot/latte, as most will likely not come across SCG and even if they do will be staring down the barrel of a lot of info on competitive machines even there.

Will keep you posted as I gain more experience with this machine.
revolver1978
revolver1978

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: --
Drip: --
Roaster: --
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 5:40am

I ordered CC1 from SGC last week. It is scheduled to arrive on Monday. I had never heard of Crossland Coffee until SGC made the suggestion. I was debating a Silvia or Gaggia Classic, saw some videos from SGC on a Silvia with a PID, thought "if I'm going to spend $800, why not go higher."  

I called and asked about Silvia PID vs Nuova Simonelli Oscar. Whomever I spoke with (it sounded like Kat but probabaly wasn't) suggested the Crossland.

I don't mind the look of it, but do think it looks a bit inexpensive. I think a combination of the black plastic and the flat screen printed logo. . . . then again, I nearly bought the Oscar, which looks even less impressive. . . .

Incidentally, I did pick up a used Gaggia Classic for small money, and gave my old Breville Cafe Roma away to a co-worker. The difference between those two machines is night and day . . . . .I just never knew it until I upgraded.

All the comments on good microfoam are encouraging. I make mostly milk drinks, and having now used two machines with Panarellos, I can't get the wet-paint that I'm looking for.
revolver1978
revolver1978

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: --
Drip: --
Roaster: --
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 5:44am

One other thought - someone mentioned the Crossland website. It could use an upgrade - maybe more content and photos, links to reviews if possible.

I know that company is new and only has one product, so there is only so mcuh anyone can say about one espresso machine. That being said, the website didn't inspire confidence when I was rdoing my purchase research. However, the high degree of respect in all the postings on the coffee sites for Mr Crossland lead me to make the purchase.
eeeehaw
eeeehaw

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 3:45pm

Okay, so now after several days of using the CC1, I've noticed something that seems like a problem, so I'd enjoy hearing some opinions on it here...

I bumped up the water temperature setpoint from the stock 199F to 202F, to better accommodate IMO the darker roast beans I prefer.   But, after the machine has had at least 15 minutes minimum to as much as 6 hours of warm-up time, and reaching the 202F setpoint as displayed on the machine, the temperature drops a surprisingly large amount during brewing or hot-water dispensing.  By "large amount", I mean it can drop so much during the 29 seconds of brewing (which includes 2sec preinfusion + 2sec wait/pause) that the machine display reverts to three dashes, or falls to at most 160F (the CC1 is designed to display three dashes in its LCD display until it reaches 150F, after which it then begins displaying water temp in degrees as it heats up to the setpoint).  Now, granted, it's winter-time here in the Seattle area, and my water comes from a well from our local water coop a few miles away, but it's coming up from an underground aquifer a half-mile deep where it's a pretty constant 50F, so it's hard for me to believe that "cold" water, esp sitting in the CC1's tank overnight where it's had a chance to warm up to nearly room temp, is having a significant effect.  Furthermore, I had gotten the impression that the boiler water is pre-heated as needed by it's steaming thermoblock (perhaps I have the wrong impression?), to improve recovery time between shots.

I called SCG (where I purchased it) to learn about what should be normal temperature profile operation for the CC1 from a sales person who does demos.  The sales person emailed me back after consulting with a repair technician to inform me that this is normal operation for this machine.

What do you think?  Brew water temperature dropping 40+ deg F when pulling a double shot a problem?  Same thing happens when shooting hot water for Americano or tea.
eeeehaw
eeeehaw

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 3:58pm

Oh, and one more thing:  when pulling the first 10 shots from the CC1, the 3-way solenoid valve worked beautifully, leaving a fairly dry puck that fell out of the porta-filter.  Didn't even have to rinse the PF with tap water, as I had been used to doing on my previous machine (which had no 3-way valve).  This is with the "medium" (kinda light to me) roast beans SCG sent me home with to get going with, particularly to calibrate my new grinder with.  The next day, I switched to the oily medium-dark beans I prefer (at the lightest; I actually use a dark roast normally, but haven't tried  that yet with this machine); I immediately noticed that the PF puck was no longer dry, considerably wetter.  I have to rinse out the PF with tap water now, before running some hot water from the machine through it before loading up the next round of ground.

This also seem okay to you folks?
showing page 13 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any one here...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400155067444)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+