Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Dialing in a Lelit PL041
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dialing in a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 14 of 14 first page previous page
Author Messages
chigdon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Le'lit PL041
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Dec 31, 2010, 9:36am
Subject: Re: Dialing in a Lelit PL041

shawndo Said:

This is really something you have to figure out on your own.  When I take out the burrs in the Vario for cleaning, it seems the settings need to change to get it right again.  

That said, you can start at second mark down on the right and about 3/4 of the way down on the left.  I've been at that setting for a while now.

Posted December 31, 2010 link

Thanks for the fast reply.  That is a bit finer than what I have dialed in but I don't have a naked portafilter (yet).  I had not thought about the adjustment varying after cleaning.  How many grams are you typically using?  Thanks again
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shawndo
shawndo
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: LM Shot Brewer
Grinder: VL M3/Compak K10 Pro
Posted Fri Dec 31, 2010, 11:37am

about 17 grams.  
Sometimes I will do successive shots, where one setting is a little bitter, then the next setting down is sweet-awesomeness.  So you really do have to keep trying until you get it just right.   I ended up getting a couple pounds of Black Cat decaf just to really get a hold of the process without my head exploding.

Then move on to Alphabet City blend.  I still think that's the best bean for this machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
tralala

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011, 3:12pm

Hi everybody.

Hopefully this thread will end up my long-lasting headache.
I 'm owning Lelit pl041 for about a year. I don't remember if it was alright with it when I just bought it, but for last half a year or so I just hate that  so-called "coffee" it produces. As I make capuccino in 99,9% cases I just dont know what good self-made espresso tastes like, really, but I really do know what the real cappucino is! And it is what I definitely cannot get on my Lelit. The point is that no matter how much grind I tamp into basket, 14 or 19 gr, how fine or coarse the grind is as the drink is almost always weak and shallow. It is stupid but different beans and blends tastes equally bad!
It is always tastes like hot slightly coffee-flavoured milk shake!

Once I guessed the problem was in insufficient brew pressure as OVP tended to open even with slightest puck. I 've tightened OVP but with no result. I also thought it was temperature problems. I've tried temp surfing but it didn't help.
My last suspect is a shower screen. I guess the problem may be bad water distribution that causes underextruction but hot water seems to flow evenly through screen.

Do you have any suggestions please?

I've recently got used Isomac Venus for my second location and I'm just happy with it.  I dont believe that Lelit can't make good coffee. Please advice. (Sorry my English :()
oelias

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2012, 9:02pm

I have owned mine for about a month now. I initially started getting extremely sour shots. After performing the Styrofoam Cup experiment and reading online, I figured the water was not hot enough. So I currently use the following procedure:
Run some water into a cup until the light turns off.
Wait for light to come back on.
Turn on the 'steam' switch for ~12 seconds.
Turn off 'steam' switch and pull shot.
This has provided reasonably consistent results which are usually not sour.
Any other ideas or comments from other owners are welcome.
I am using Lavazza Super Crema coffee.
showing page 14 of 14 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dialing in a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.35803103447)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+