Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Anyone had reliability issues with Izzo Alex Duetto II?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Anyone had...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
o3

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Mon May 30, 2011, 6:50pm
Subject: Anyone had reliability issues with Izzo Alex Duetto II?

So, my Duetto is just over a year old.  Thus far:
1 -  the steam safety release valve failed at over 1.4 bars – reduced temp setting and it was fine, but technician advised to change it.
2 – The brew boiler thermistor failed, unit dead at that point.
Removing the thermistor was a b*tch, the entire boiler twisted slightly as I needed just about the maximum amount of torque I could apply to get the nut off.  I think this caused a small leak in the hot water valve fitting as there is now some corrosion at the fitting, yet I can’t see any leak now.  Chris’ Coffee tech said to just keep an eye, but no visible leak = no worry…but this has me worried as replacing that tube would be a very big job.

3 – now the PID push buttons stick closed if the unit is warmed up and the right button is pressed.  It had been getting "sticky" over the last few months.  It defaulted back to factory settings (both boilers 212) making unit unusable.  Fortunately, once it cooled down, it came “un-stuck” and I was able to reset.  But no more changing temps on the fly.

All of this happened right about at the one year point – worked perfectly till then.  I make 2-4 drinks/day.

Now, Chris’ has been excellent, sent replacement parts at no charge and talked me through the repairs.  I have not yet changed out the PID as that looks like it will take me some time.  I was able to do the others without a whole lot of trouble, although 1 & 2 took the better part of an afternoon (did them both at the same time, both happened within a couple of weeks of each other).

So, my question is, “is this normal”.  Given what I paid for this machine, I expected years of reliable function.
 View Profile Link to this post
geoffbeier

Espresso: Alex Duetto II, Gaggia...
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Faema MPN
Posted Mon May 30, 2011, 7:05pm
Subject: Re: Anyone had reliability issues with Izzo Alex Duetto II?

Yikes! Mine is almost 18 months old and I haven't seen any of these. Knock on wood.

o3 Said:

Now, Chris’ has been excellent, sent replacement parts at no charge and talked me through the repairs.  I have not yet changed out the PID as that looks like it will take me some time.  I was able to do the others without a whole lot of trouble, although 1 & 2 took the better part of an afternoon (did them both at the same time, both happened within a couple of weeks of each other).

Posted May 30, 2011 link

Shortly after I got mine, there was a PID firmware problem that they fixed by sending out new PID controllers to existing owners. I don't remember the details of the operation, but with Jason's instructions it took me well under an hour (I think under half an hour) to replace the PID.
TomChips

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: K30 Vario/Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Tecnivorm Mochamaster-Hario
Roaster: Behmoor 1600+ Freshroast
Posted Tue May 31, 2011, 5:08am

This is concerning. I really hope it's just a fluke. From everything I gathered, it seems the Duetto II is extremely reliable. I'm glad to hear that the folks at CC are helping you out.

I was watching a few youtube videos on the Duetto, and the one thing that struck me odd was the placement of the PID's buttons. If they were oriented vertically instead of horizontally, they'd likely be easier to reach without burning yourself on the group head. Not exactly on topic of what you're dealing with, but it was a thought, when I saw those tiny buttons and was wondering if they'd be prone to getting stuck or failing.

Best luck!
espressobecky
espressobecky

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: French Press, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 31, 2011, 5:36am

TomChips Said:

This is concerning. I really hope it's just a fluke. From everything I gathered, it seems the Duetto II is extremely reliable.

Posted May 31, 2011 link

No kidding!  I've only had my Duetto II for a couple months now, although it was a demo model before I bought it.  I haven't run into any problems yet, but this is the first I've heard of anyone having ANY issues with the Duetto at all!  I was expecting to see a lot more Duetto owners chiming in here about their lack of problems by now.

...and on that note, I need a coffee.
Bob_M
Bob_M
Posted Tue May 31, 2011, 6:38am

I'll chime in here. I've had one of the early ones for 2 and a half years now and I've had no problems making a cupola dbls a day...
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue May 31, 2011, 7:59am

I have had mine 6 months 8 - 12 per day 0 issues. If the house burned down or something I would buy another one without a second thought.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue May 31, 2011, 11:54am

espressobecky Said:

I was expecting to see a lot more Duetto owners chiming in here about their lack of problems by now.

Posted May 31, 2011 link

It's rare for any discussion forum to have people posting that everything is working fine.  By nature, the overwhelming majority will be people with problems that need help.
Bob_M
Bob_M
Posted Tue May 31, 2011, 12:24pm

The OP is asking if anyone has had reliability issues. IMHO no's are as important as yes''es
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 4:47pm

I love my Duetto II!  I got mine mid-december last year.  I've have 3 issues...only one of which should be of real concern to anyone looking at this machine...

1) There was corrosion at the hot water pipe where it came to the valve on the machine front plate.  The guys at CCS saw that when I sent them a photo of the inside of my machine, so they could tell me if everything looked ok after about a years worth of use, and so they also sent me a free replacement pipe.  I installed it with little difficulty, which they helped walk me through. They said it was probably sloppy craftsmanship at the factory.

2) On Christmas day, this year, my machine shuddered and shut down during shot number 4 of the morning.  It literally scared the sh$t out of me, because I was thinking I would be SOL for at least a week, through diagnosis, parts and repair.  Fortunately, it was simply a matter of "the perfect storm" where the reservoir went dry while the boiler tried to refill, and the alarm didn't get a chance to warn me.  Once I refilled the reservoir, I was up and running.

3) I have custom built wooden knobs (see my avatar or my post in the shrines thread).  A brass insert came loose in one of them, allowing the steam valve to open slightly, so water was dripping slowly from the wand.  So, this really wasn't an Izzo problem, and in fact, when I was fixing the custom knob insert, I used the OEM knob temporarily (which worked perfectly).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Anyone had...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.422269105911)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+