Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
a spitting baby (gaggia)
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > a spitting baby...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
GarethA

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 12:26am
Subject: a spitting baby (gaggia)

I have just bought a babia gaggia and have probably gone through as much kitchen cleaning product as coffee. When I turn it on it sprays coffee from the sides. I tried tampering it aggressively , loosely and not at all and I've also tried using Illy and lavazza coffee. An aggressively tampered Illy appears to be the least problematic though only marginally which is troubling as I have no intention of sticking with one type of coffee.
Is it a defective machine or are there a number of gaggia tricks that I can use to resolve this issue?
I would very much appreciate any advice on this rather frustrating problem
Many thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
HollyS

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 2:40am
Subject: Re: a spitting baby (gaggia)

Hi there,
just a guess here but you might be using too much coffee in the coffee basket  and maybe also not engaging the portafilter all the way in the group , nice and tight.
If you are using the single bascket try to use 8 g of coffee, this way you'll know that you are not using too much. Also close the portafilter as  tight as you can.
Another problem could be a dent in the busket , in the area that should seal around the inside of the head.Have a good look at it.

Good Luck!

H.
GarethA

Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 3:53am

Thank you H

You may well be right - I have been rather eager on the coffee dosage. I will clean it out, add a smaller quantity and wrap it up tightly for my next espresso which I think I am due soon.

Best wishes
Gareth
iowaboy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby; Vev & GB...
Grinder: Preciso, Solis Maestro+
Drip: Melitta Pourover, Krups,...
Roaster: Behmor, FR8+
Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 8:25am

Be sure you're using the little black rubber "frothing jet device," in the bottom of the portafilter, if you're using one of the "perfect crema" (single hole in the bottom--hold it up to a light) baskets, and be sure you're not using it, if you're using a "regular" (lots of holes in the bottom) basket.

I have the same machine and love it, but the manual is not eccelente.

Paul
ALDavis

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 6:33am

Did you ever solve this problem? Because I have the same problem.  Thanks!
washburned

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza vario
Posted Sun Dec 2, 2012, 1:30pm

I have the same machine, and sometimes the same issue. I think what happens is if you wait too long to pull the shot the boiler overheats and a combination of water and stem come out making a mess.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Dec 2, 2012, 9:03pm

GarethA Said:

I have just bought a babia gaggia and have probably gone through as much kitchen cleaning product as coffee. When I turn it on it sprays coffee from the sides.

Posted May 3, 2011 link

As dramatic as this is, it might be better to actually describe the problem.  If a Gaggia is spraying coffee from the sides, then your problem is serious. The gaggia has seams in the sides of the machine through which coffee should never spray.  
If you mean that the cross-drilled hole in the dispenser on the bottom of the portafilter is spraying steam-propelled coffee out sideways, that is very different, and is an indication that your boiler is way too hot, perhaps overheating due to a bad thermostat, cracked element or brewing with/immediately after steam-button used.
If you mean coffee is escaping between the machine and the porta filter and splashing about, then believe the filter suggestions, portafilter installation tightness suggestions and replace the group gasket.
spraythecurtains
spraythecurtains

Espresso: Baby Gaggia
Grinder: Baratza Virtuosso
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 12:25pm

Well I think I may have had both forms of spraying.

Gave up & put the New Baby into basement storage a year back & have just decided to have another go at sorting out what was happening.

After reading that it might be an offshoot of grind, coffee bean age or tamping pressure.

Then again have also read the New Baby is quite sensitive to all of those.

Have ordered fresh beans & will try the different suggestions in this thread.

Grinder is Baratza Virtuoso, which I know is not top of the line for espresso grind, but anyone using one of those with a new Baby Gaggia & happy with results?

If so what grind setting, & tamping soft?, hard?, & how do you measure your tamping pressure??

Thanks
STC
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 1:22pm

I'm having trouble picturing where any of you guys have spray coming from.

2 things may be relevant here: 1) I have a backflushing basket that's simply a normal basket completely sealed over. I use it to backflush the machine of course, which is to say it forces water through the 3-way solenoid when I turn the pump off after pretending to pull a shot. The whole time during this the machine is maxed out for pressure, around 165psi by the gage I've added. Nothing sprays anywhere even under that kind of pressure. With coffee in the basket, even finely ground and tightly packed, you shouldn't be seeing spraying. 2) I have worked on a number of Gaggias from ebay, in all sorts of sad conditions whan I got them. After any repair I always torture tested things to make sure they worked correctly - no loose hoses or anything else to worry about. Even left to heat for a couple hours and pulling shots I never had any leaking.

I guess what I'm saying is - having it turned on for a long time, or having finely ground coffee plugging the basket - neither of these should cause any spraying.

What exactly are you guys seeing, and where is it coming from?
rosa463

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 5:20am

Hi Tracerbullet looks like you have a lot of experience!

tracerbullet Said:

I'm having trouble picturing where any of you guys have spray coming from.

2 things may be relevant here: 1) I have a backflushing basket that's simply a normal basket completely sealed over. I use it to backflush the machine of course, which is to say it forces water through the 3-way solenoid when I turn the pump off after pretending to pull a shot. The whole time during this the machine is maxed out for pressure, around 165psi by the gage I've added. Nothing sprays anywhere even under that kind of pressure. With coffee in the basket, even finely ground and tightly packed, you shouldn't be seeing spraying. 2) I have worked on a number of Gaggias from ebay, in all sorts of sad conditions whan I got them. After any repair I always torture tested things to make sure they worked correctly - no loose hoses or anything else to worry about. Even left to heat for a couple hours and pulling shots I never had any leaking.

I guess what I'm saying is - having it turned on for a long time, or having finely ground coffee plugging the basket - neither of these should cause any spraying.

What exactly are you guys seeing, and where is it coming from?

Posted December 10, 2012 link

My issue is with the Gaggia Classic.  It has worked fine for probably 8 years.  I love it.  
now for some reason when i'm pulling a shot it sprays sideways (sometimes one side, sometimes the other) from between the portafilter and where it sits.  I have done research and it's been suggested i replace the gasket.  I did that as well as i replaced the screen.  I changed the portafilter for an old one i had (the handle was broken).  

So now what?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > a spitting baby...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.346859931946)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+