Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The La Marzocco GS/3 Owners' Thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The La Marzocco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 125 of 128 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
networkcrasher
networkcrasher
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: Nino, M3, SJ, Rocky
Vac Pot: GCBC Yama
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hot Top, Behmor, SC/TO
Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011, 9:43am
Subject: Re: The La Marzocco GS/3 Owners' Thread

I would assume a teflon coated PF.

http://www.portaflon.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
DonSt
DonSt

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Vario
Roaster: Temple Coffee
Posted Tue Mar 22, 2011, 5:58pm

Anybody with a GS/3 get a good hard puck out of their GS/3?  When using my La Pavoni lever, I get nice neat hard pucks.
With the GS/3, I get great tasting shots, but my pucks are sorta mushy and sometimes bits fly across the counter when I slam the portafilter on the knockbox.
I know that taste is more important than puck condition, but I'm just wondering if there is something that I am missing.

-don
Theodore

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Elektra Nino,Macap CPS...
Drip: Krups.
Roaster: Gene Cafe roaster.
Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011, 4:40am

Do you know if these portaflon pfs,are good enough,for the Euros 400.00,they ask for them?
Regards,
Theodore.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011, 6:18am

DonSt Said:

Anybody with a GS/3 get a good hard puck out of their GS/3?

Posted March 22, 2011 link

Yes, my pucks are generally (almost always) firm and solid.  

I believe this to be a finction function of headspace.  If you use more coffee in the basket then the puck will be more solid.  My grind is set so that a 20g dose works well for a double basket, and I typically use between 19g and 21g for a shot depending on the coffee.  

Because I tend to use such a high dose, the puck expands into the shower screen leaving a clear impression on the surface of the puck.  It also knocks out whole and fairly dry.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011, 6:25am

Theodore Said:

Do you know if these portaflon pfs,are good enough,for the Euros 400.00,they ask for them?
Regards,
Theodore.

Posted March 23, 2011 link

Considering the price this might be a better choice if it fits:
Click Here (www.coffeehit.co.uk)

The standard p/fs that come with the Speedster are Teflon coated but I only use the optional bottomless p/fs so I can't offer any feedback except to say I wouldn't spend 400E on one.

John
shadowfax
shadowfax

Espresso: La Marzocco Shot Brewer
Grinder: Compak K10
Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011, 6:56am

In any case, the portafilters from the Speedster that I have seen and used (The one John has now) are only teflon-coated in the bowl of the portafilter, not the spout, meaning that the most difficult thing to clean is still the same chromed metal, made more difficult to effectively clean by the fact that you're not really supposed to put the teflon-coated portafilter in the cleaner bath necessary to properly clean the spout.

The CoffeeHit teflon-coated portafilters are made, as I understand from James Hoffman and others who have discussed them, have coated spouts so you aren't stuck with this conundrum.

Another option, if you have a 58mm La Marzocco compatible group, is to wait till La Marzocco makes their all-stainless-steel portafilters available. These are certain to be far, far more rugged and long-lasting than a teflon coating, though certainly will need more cleaning. The guys I have talked to that use them (as of right now I believe they are only available with the Strada espresso machine) say they're a big step up from chromed brass in terms of cleanliness, but I can't imagine they're as convenient as teflon. Anyway, I understand these are going to be made available for purchase around the time of SCAA at the end of April. Not sure about Europe, though. Maybe you can already get them there for all I know.
JimWright

Espresso: LM GS/3, Estro Profi
Grinder: Macap M7KR
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Other: Eva Solo, Press Pot
Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011, 7:03am

They'll probably make them available as a kit with the new high precision filters, which they said at Out of the Box were also supposed to be available in a Spring timeframe.  BTW, how the heck are people cleaning the inside of the spout anyway?  After repeated soaking in Puro Caff and what seemed like at 30 minutes with Q tips only having really cleaned a center channel, I gave up last week...
shadowfax
shadowfax

Espresso: La Marzocco Shot Brewer
Grinder: Compak K10
Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011, 7:23am

There's a little screw you can take out of the "back" of the spout on the La Marzocco (newer) spouts. I take this out periodically and use a steam wand brush to clean out the interior of the spout. The only 100% way to clean is full disassembly, but I find  just pulling that screw out for interior access is close enough. I don't think that a Q-tip is 'abrasive' or stiff enough to scrape the deposits off, I'd definitely recommend something with nylon or similar bristles.

Prevention is the biggest thing for me. When I use a spouted portafilter (lately I have been using mine a lot, too, for shot-splitting!), I will rinse it very thoroughly immediately after knocking out the puck (edit: and yes, I knock out the puck ASAP after pulling the shot). This avoids most of the issue of buildup in the spout for me.
JimWright

Espresso: LM GS/3, Estro Profi
Grinder: Macap M7KR
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Other: Eva Solo, Press Pot
Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011, 7:33am

Yeah, my double spout has one, but my single spout does not have the removal screw unfortunately.
DanH

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K10 Fresh
Drip: Trifecta MB
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Mon May 16, 2011, 5:23pm

My new GS/3 arrived today and I'm very excited.  I've spent the last 3 hours getting it set up and I have a few questions I hope you'll be kind enough to answer:

1.  I programmed the boiler temp to 200.2 but the temp on the display reads 197.6 after 2 hours.   Is that okay?  Which should I believe?
  2.  The steam temp came set to 259.8.  Is that a good number?
  3.  How long should each backflush cycle go?  I'm guessing until the pressure gauge says 12.  Is that right?
  4.  Setting the volumetric dosing is proving difficult.  I thought by actually running a shot while calibrating, I'd consistently get that quantity in use.  I found the resulting shots to be considerably bigger than I programmed.  What's the trick?

Thanks for your help!
showing page 125 of 128 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The La Marzocco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.690455198288)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+