Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 19 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Seion

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: None (Yet)
Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 5:34am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

I might end up going with a manual grinder. This has some decent reviews -> "Zassenhaus Turkish Mill"
I don't mind using a manual grinder over an electric one. Will keep reading reviews, but what are your thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
nester

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jun 21, 2014, 2:01pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

Hey folks !

Can someone tell me what single shot basket is the best for ec155? And where can i buy it?
Im using 52mm tamper

Thanks alot
arrrmand

Espresso: DeLonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Mon Jul 7, 2014, 9:38am

*edited post..never mind, double checked my calibration, re-calibrated and am able to choke machine now!
pacmra

Posted Thu Sep 18, 2014, 12:58pm

Hi
Thanks for your posts about this topic!

I have just modified a De'Longhi EC310's portafilter. I used a 5 dollar saw I bought at the hardware store, cutting pliers and sandpaper. I sawed off the plastic part and the aluminum that used to hold the screw. Then I used the pliers to cut off the parts that the saw didn't reach. I evened out with the sandpaper. It turned out pretty good!

I'm using a De'Longhi 607706 filter basket. At least I think it is the 607706. The guy at the service shop for De'Longhis said initially that he didn't have the 607706 in store. But then he came with the filter basket that I ended up buying, and he said that it was just as good as the 607706, or maybe he said it was the 607706. I'm not exactly sure :) But he was right, because it fitted perfectly in the portafilter, when we tested it at the shop.

I have tested it a couple of times at home. I am using pacamara beans from El Salvador and a solid grinder. I am really satisfied! I'm clearly getting more crema, and I just like the thought of the coffee going directly from the portafilter to the glass, without getting contaminated with old coffee in the plastic parts of the original portafilter. This is also the reason I prefer the new all metal filter basket. I am thinking that in the long run, it will be easier to keep it cleaner than the original filter baskets. The latter have some rubber parts that will eventually absorb some old coffee taste, just as the plastic part in the portafilter.

My only challenge is what afelds mentions in this thread. The filter basket gets stuck in the grouphead after I have pulled the shot and removed the portafilter. I have read that this is common in other machines, even in professional ones, and it has to do with a few micrometers mismatch between the rim of the filter basket and the grouphead. It seems as if the filter basket gets sucked on to the rubber ring around the portafilter, something that does not happen with the original filter basket. The latter has also dents that attach it to the portafilter, which are lacking in the all metal filter basket I have now.

Have you found a way around this? If not, has this in any way damaged the grouphead? This is what concerns me the most. I have found a way to remove the filter basket with a cloth, and it's not problematic at all. So the only thing that worries me is if this could potentially ruin the grouphead sooner than would otherwise be the case.

I also appreciate suggestions about other filter baskets I could use that do not get stuck in this way.
Seion

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: None (Yet)
Posted Thu Sep 18, 2014, 1:02pm

Mine gets stuck too and I just turn the portafilter handle a little so that when I pull down to remove it it knocks the cup off with it.
pacmra

Posted Thu Sep 18, 2014, 1:07pm

Thanks for your reply, Seion! That's good to know! It seems like this is pretty common. And this hasn't damaged the grouphead? How long have you been doing this?
afelds

Espresso: De'Longhi EC155
Grinder: Porlex JP-30
Posted Thu Sep 18, 2014, 1:08pm

7 months, no problems yet. No signs of wear or anything
pacmra

Posted Thu Sep 18, 2014, 1:11pm

Great! Good to read that. I'll let you know if I find a better alternative. I'll keep looking, just in case there is a better filter basket.
pacmra

Posted Thu Sep 18, 2014, 1:42pm

By the way, maybe some of you have already done this, or thought of it, but I'm going to write to the folks at De'Longhi Braun Deutschland GmbH. Their e-mail is braunhousehold at delonghi.de  As far as I understand, the offices in Germany are in charge of R&D. Maybe they are not aware about the fact that there is a big potential market for factory made naked portafilters for De'Longhi machines? They should be. It's just good if more people do the same. Then, maybe we get them to make a decent portafilter.  I'll include links to videos and threads like this one in the e-mail I send!
pacmra

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014, 7:02am

Hi!
I just wanted to comment that I tried a De'Longhi EC650 filter basket with a slight modification. These baskets have a squared flap on the outer part of the rim. This is where the filter basket attaches to De'Longhi portafilters that have a compatible opening. However, the EC310 machine's portafilter does not have a squared opening that is compatible with the EC650 filter basket. I guess that's the case for the EC152D, EC155 and similar models. The opening in the EC310 is rather round (like a semicircle). The guys at the De'Longhi service shop used a metal grinder to make the flap fit perfectly with my modified EC310's portafilter (naked protafilter). It works perfectly! The filter basket does not get stuck on the grouphead anymore! It also seems as if it fits better on the grouphead. At the same time, I feel that the shape of the filter basket allows for better tamping. Therefore, the flow of espresso seems to be coming out evenly from the filter basket, with a nice uniform stream towards the center. And yup, I'm getting more crema!

By the way, I also found out that a good way to remove a portafilter, that gets stuck on the grouphead, is just running some water through the grouphead by pressing the button. This is better than using force to remove it.

I hope this information is helpful.
showing page 19 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347486972809)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+