Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Replacing Group Gasket on Briel Chamonix
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Replacing Group...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
puma996
puma996
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Valentina, Expobar Office...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Super Jolly,...
Posted Sun Mar 6, 2011, 9:32am
Subject: Re: Replacing Group Gasket on Briel Chamonix

That doesn't look like a group gasket. At all.
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Mar 6, 2011, 9:41am

The new part looks larger than what you are trying to replace.  

Even if this isn't the right part, eventually you will get the right one and you will need to remove the old gasket.  When the time comes, I read where people have screwed a wood or sheet metal screw (carefully) into the old gasket to give them something to grasp with pliers when pulling the worn gasket out of the group to make room for the new one.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Raylee
Raylee

Espresso: Briel Chamonix
Posted Sun Mar 6, 2011, 9:48am

I think you're right.....they sent me the wrong part............ARGH!

I will call them on Monday and get the right part...so much for talking with the 'experts'....UGH!

Thanks for the instructions on how to remove the old gasket.....I really don't think there's any
way to remove it without destroying it....that puppy is IN THERE!!!! LOL.

Thank you so much for all of your help guys. I couldn't have done it without you. Craig, you're a
doll for all your help about the photo.
BCUser

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat May 7, 2011, 3:00pm

I have 3 of the briel chamonix machines.  1 is over 4 years old and going strong.  Never any maintenance.  The second is 5 yrs old and has just started to leak out the head/basket/group gasket at the front out by the handle, what it's nearing the end of the brew cycle as the pressure is still building.  The 3rd is for parts basically I bought on ebay in case I ever needed any...and now is the time....I'm going in for the head gasket.

So, I know exactly what youre saying.  And I too ordered from and "electric coffee espresso website" and received a thick red "O-ring" style gasket.  Certainly not going to work in this case....and I can't find one online.

And I know what you are sayaing about how the gasket is bureyed under the brew head and using a screwdriver is not an option....and even if it was, how would you get a new gasket of the same type back in...?

But I'm in the process of taking apart my spare to see how to get at the gasket.  It looks like a complete disassemble.  And not just the outer shell.  I'm talking about pulling the boiler out of the machine and cracking it opend.  Unfortunately I did not have the right size wrenches at the office that would split it in two.  Then I'll be able to see if it's replaced from the inside or what.

In short, I'll get back to you.  Please post back if you find the "Old style" (flat) head/group gasket.

Thanks,
Jeff
BCUser

Posted Sat May 28, 2011, 6:59pm

Sorry for the delay on getting back to this post, but you know the saying about a picture and words...here they are for the Briel Champonix group or head or basket gasket...or.....

but I only see a few ways this thing can leak
1)  Grinds between the basket and gasket
2)  Basket is  not perfectly straight, lay on flat surfact to check
3)  Black Basket Ramp Ring is worn for years of use.  You'll know this is worn because when you tighten the handle it will go way to the right instead of starting to seal just after the middle.  This part seems most vulnerable to wear.
4)  The gasket is actually worn.  now this gasket is not thin.  It's about 3/8" thick.  I can't imagine how many hundreds of shots were pulled on this thing and it shows barely any wear...maybe 1/16" thinner than when it was new....long way to go.

BCUser: 100_0235.jpg
(Click for larger image)
BCUser

Posted Sat May 28, 2011, 7:00pm

Additional Pictures of entire assembly

BCUser: 100_0232.jpg
(Click for larger image)
BCUser

Posted Sat May 28, 2011, 7:01pm

and more

BCUser: 100_0234.jpg
(Click for larger image)
BCUser

Posted Sat May 28, 2011, 7:01pm

Last one...

BCUser: 100_0233.jpg
(Click for larger image)
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon May 30, 2011, 8:20pm

Nice photos - this machine looks to have decent internal parts - boiler instead of a thermoblock is definitely a plus. I have one of these but need a portafilter and basket - I tried your email BCUser, but it came back as undeliverable - PM me and let me know if you might part with some of your extras - Sell or trade - it's all good.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
RATM

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 7:46pm

I know that I am bumping a very old thread, however it is relevant to my case. I need to replace the O ring on my Briel MPS machine (the original one simply busted). Thankfully I have a friend in Portugal who might be able to get me the part I need without paying the abusive shipping.

My question is, how would I install this thing? I (more or less) disassembled my machine, but the brew head remains solidly there. Must I completely remove this part to be able to install the gasket?

Cheers.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Replacing Group...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.417717933655)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+