Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
PID Set Point on Rancilio Silvia
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID Set Point on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Koifla
Koifla
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia with Watslow...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: w
Posted Tue Mar 1, 2011, 2:55pm
Subject: PID Set Point on Rancilio Silvia

Hi.
I am very new to this but have a Silvia for about a month and installed the www.pidkits.com PID. Super happy with everything. Trying to understand what the brew head temp is compared to the boiler set point. I read the updated info on the kit that says on a V3 224-228F will be about right with a machine warming up.
My question is what is your experience with set point temps at the boiler and what you end up at the brew head on a Rancilio Silvia. What temps do you like?
Thank-you
Charles

Koifla: Coffee Shot1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Koifla
Koifla

Posted Fri Mar 4, 2011, 9:17pm
Subject: Re: PID Set Point on Rancilio Silvia

I am surprised no one has posted an opinion on what temps they like to set their PID to.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Mar 4, 2011, 9:55pm

Hi Charles,

Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! {;-)

I have a PID kit from CG member Jim Gallt that I installed I think 5 years or more ago on my 2001 Rancilio Miss Silvia V1 & was one of the early eBay buyers then. I couldn't be happier with the quality & performance of the kit & have never had a problem.

The general or default boiler offset temp at the time (& I think still is) is 25°F. The temp at the brewhead will depend on the type/s of coffees &/or degree of roast that the espresso blend best tastes, or is designed to taste best at.

Intelly's original Black Cat for example is designed to 'shine' at 199°F, so your boiler offset temp (the PID) would then be set at 224°F.
With a PID offset of 228°F, your grouphead temp would then theoretically be 203°F.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Fri Mar 4, 2011, 10:36pm

Hi, Charles -

I have mine set at 223F right now.  But I always allow at least 50 minutes warm up before pulling a shot.  The recommended range of 224F to 228F anticipates that some folks will pull shots before the machine has fully warmed up.

At this setpoint, I get a brew temp of around 199F, which I happen to like for my home roasts.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
clumeng

Espresso: Vivaldi II, 67 Cremina
Grinder: Vario, Maestro, Pharos
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011, 8:59am

Koifla Said:

I am surprised no one has posted an opinion on what temps they like to set their PID to.

Posted March 4, 2011 link

This is because we can only provide a range.  (I think that 220 was where I was most of the time)  There are lots of variables with each machine that impact the final brew temp (warmup time, where the temp probe is, did you steam before the shot) so it's hard to give hard and fast rules.  At the same time, input and output variables (grind, roast, roast date, distribution, extraction percentage) overall probably have a larger impact on flavor in the cup.

What the PID did for me was take one major variable (temp) largely out of the equation as I fine tuned my technique.  I found myself adjusting the PID fairly frequently depending on the roast and date post-roast to get the right flavors ( and I know I have bad taste buds).  So make sure you experiment - there in general should be a 1:1 dropoff from what the PID set is vs what is at the group.  I was always surprised how low I could go on the temp and improve the flavor.  Try +/- 5F and see what you get with the same blend and grinding parameters and go from there.  

Now that the Temp isn't as much of a guess you should work on making the other variables consistent.  What I found...

- GET  A SCALE!  know how much is going in every time.
- Use WDT every time - this improved my consistency
- Consider a naked PF
- Consider weighing the output and calculate extraction ratios
- Save up for a better grinder.  I found that the rocky only afforded 1-2 clicks that were usable.  My upgrade to a used Mazzer SJ was stunning in terms of the difference in the cup.  If the addiction settles in you (and you are well on your way with a PID mod)

(note that I didn't put in tamping....as I get more experienced I'm more and more convinced that tamping isn't a huge variable relative to all of the above in the cup)

Good luck!
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011, 5:13pm

MOderator Note: moved to Espresso Machines forum

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Koifla
Koifla

Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011, 8:00pm

Hi.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me understand some of the basics. The instructions for the PID Kits was updated as late as 2010 for the V3 and I believe it had 224-228 depending on how warm the machine was. I guess the V3 has a plastic cover around the group head that is a little different it use to be metal and this changed the offset from boiler temps to the group head.
He stated that they took direct temperature readings and I have no drought that it is correct. I guess watching older you tube videos of people using PID’s on Silvia’s I saw temps as low as 208 so I wondered not so much the accuracy of the temperature measurements but the decisions on what to brew at since the PID is pretty consistent.
It was interesting searching older forums where someone based on taste thought he was out there being super high liking 226 to find out he was right in the middle of the now suggested temps.
I been taking shots from 220 –230 from the set point on the PID and trying to taste the difference but me think I don’t understand taste well enough to have a strong opinion yet even if can taste the difference. I am far better with nuts and bolts or measurements and following protocols so I wanted to read what people have experienced and compare.
I have a gram scale I used for dosing medications and been using it on all my shots.
I have been using a timer every time. I can tell small differences in time, pressure and appearances on shots based of differences in grind settings but still need to discern which tastes better. I can tell the difference but it all tastes pretty good to me. So I am willing to play with this and try to get an education on how to get the best shot I can out of this machine. And to that I thank you so much for this site, all its info and your passion.
I just got a naked PF and will ask questions when I have played with it more.
I do not know what WDT is so I guess I need to find out. I measure all my shots and take that into consideration. I am not sure I understand what is meant by ” Consider weighing the output and calculate extraction ratios” Guess there are a few things here I still need to read up on.
Charles
clumeng

Espresso: Vivaldi II, 67 Cremina
Grinder: Vario, Maestro, Pharos
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Posted Sun Mar 6, 2011, 7:02am

Sorry for the jargon.

WDT is weiss distribution technique.  It's a way to ensure a lack of clumps and kinda resets the distribution in my mind.  Using it every time with Silvia Doubles really improved my consistency and got rid of channeling.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

As you tune your taste buds try 210, 220, and 230 and see what you can taste.  I'll bet you will taste the difference and find out if you were too high in general (do 220 and 230) or in the sweet spot.  Too cool leads to sour shots.  Too hot leads to bitter.
Koifla
Koifla

Posted Sun Mar 13, 2011, 12:42pm

I have taken all the comments and advice very seriously and have taken the time to try to comprehend them. While searching the forum before I posted it was interesting to read someone could tell by taste exactly what advice was being given. One thing they said was that at 228 it was a bit burnt like Guinness but they liked it. I have noticed that at 228 the coffee and crème were dark. I thought that maybe it was the coffee so I ground what I had left up for drip. I have just realized I can see differences between 224 and 228 even if I cannot accurately recognize the taste difference. But I can a little and with the visual differences too I can get a gist. I am playing with 222 right now just to recognize what it is like. It is interesting how 4 deg F can make a visual difference and in taste. I may like 224 more than 228 but don’t know if it poor judgment on my part. I am trying 223 and I will try 220-224 just to realize how much liked 224? Anyway thanks for the advice it is appreciated.

Koifla: Presentation.jpg
(Click for larger image)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID Set Point on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.418107032776)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+