Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help me buy a decent espresso machine, please!
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help me buy a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 9 last page next page
Author Messages
justpete

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 1:54pm
Subject: Help me buy a decent espresso machine, please!

so, I've been browsing the forums for a couple of weeks now, but unfortunately, I'm more confused than ever.  Seems like there's so many choices that it's next to impossible to narrow it down myself.  Then, I see all these names thrown around, and I look in the review list, and they're not at the top of the list - which, also confuses me.  So, here's my deal.

I am looking for an espresso machine only right now.  My budget is around $500-800.  I do not want to consider a grinder atm, I'm happy buying store-bought for now (illy, etc.).  

I do not want to use pods, but prefer to use a tamper et. al.  I was a barista for about 2 years when I was much younger, and I'm interested in a good steamer as a product feature for my espresso machine.

I live in Toronto, Canada.  Aesthetics are fairly important as well.

I will primarily be making Cappucino and Lattes, as opposed to espressos.  I currently have a Breville, but I'm not happy with it.  

I am happy with buying locally or ordering online.

I would prefer a semi-automatic machine.

To sum up:

Budget: $500-800
Features:  better espresso, good steamer
Brandname: Unimportant
Aesthetics: fairly Important
Type: Semi-automatic

Any assistance as to which Espresso maker I should buy would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I've provided all the relevant info.  Please let me know if not.

One thing I've learned after being on the internet for so long - if you ignore the trolls, they'll go away.
 View Profile Link to this post
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 3:14pm
Subject: Re: Another "help me buy an espresso machine" thread

justpete Said:

so, I've been browsing the forums for a couple of weeks now, but unfortunately, I'm more confused than ever.  Seems like there's so many choices that it's next to impossible to narrow it down myself.  Then, I see all these names thrown around, and I look in the review list, and they're not at the top of the list - which, also confuses me.  So, here's my deal.

Posted February 27, 2011 link

There are so many quality machine options out there that suit different purposes, budgets, and even aesthetic preferences, that you will never find everyone shouting out that "Machine X, is the one we've all been waiting for and it's the one and only for everyone". And i'm sure if there ever was, it wouldn't be under $1000.

You have to decide what's right for you, no one else can do that.

justpete Said:

I am looking for an espresso machine only right now.  My budget is around $500-800.  I do not want to consider a grinder atm, I'm happy buying store-bought for now (illy, etc.).  

This is the biggest problem with what you've said so far. It doesn't seem like you've done much reading or searching here yet.  Focusing on the machine is never going to get you a decent espresso. The first two things you need to make good coffee are good beans from a local roaster and a quality grinder.

Having a $6,000 machine and no grinder is frankly useless.

For espresso, that means spending at least $250-275+ on grinder alone.

justpete Said:

I do not want to use pods, but prefer to use a tamper et. al.

Using store bought pre-ground coffee is going to net you the same results in in the cup as using pods, but more effort and a messier kitchen. The only way to make the "great" coffee you are asking for is by grinding fresh beans yourself, at home on a good grinder.

If you really want to buy pre-ground, pre-packaged coffee, I've heard from several people that a Nespresso can provide consistent, drinkable(not amazing), but convenient coffee. And you can save a few hundred too.

justpete Said:

I was a barista for about 2 years when I was much younger, and I'm interested in a good steamer as a product feature for my espresso machine.

I live in Toronto, Canada.  Aesthetics are fairly important as well.

I will primarily be making Cappucino and Lattes, as opposed to espressos.

The best machines for making lots of milk drinks and steaming lots of milk are going to be entry level Heat Exchanger machines. These machines start at around $1000 (Bezzera BZ07, for example) and are still useless without a high quality grinder and freshly roasted(not purchased) beans.

justpete Said:

I currently have a Breville, but I'm not happy with it.  

Frankly, you would be able to make better coffee by spending your money on a good grinder and brewing with the breville, than by buying yet another machine and no grinder, no matter how much money you have to spend on said machine. Hint Hint.

To sum up:
If you refuse to grind the beans yourself, then save your money and buy a Nespresso with coffee capsules. Its extremely convenient and can even provide a decent, not great, cup of coffee with extreme repeatabilty and almost no effort. And the machines aren't bad looking either. They also offer an auto-frother unit that does the milk frothing for you too. My girlfriend has one of these machines and loves it, btw.

If you want a "great" espresso, then buy a good grinder and locally-roasted fresh beans, and use the Breville until you can afford to purchase a better machine at a later time.

Hope this helps,
James

Load and Lock.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 3:58pm
Subject: Re: Help me buy a decent espresso machine, please!

justpete Said:

so, I've been browsing the forums for a couple of weeks now... I am looking for an espresso machine only right now.  My budget is around $500-800.  I do not want to consider a grinder atm, I'm happy buying store-bought for now

IMO:   That's all the info I needed to hear. My answer is, DON'T.
Buy a great grinder for now and use something like the Espro Press (a Canadian company) and save for an espresso machine. Having an espresso machine and no grinder is just an expensive way to get rid of a lot of coffee.

If you have browsed the forums sufficiently you would have read many times: "The grinder is more important than the espresso machine. The espresso machine is an accessory to the grinder."

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 4:57pm

The Four M's of Espresso:
1) the Macinazione is the grinder, and with it, the correct grinding of the coffee beans;
2) the Miscela is the coffee beans/blend itself;
3) the Macchina is the espresso machine; and
4) the Mano is the skilled hand of the barista.  

All four are important.  Nothing is more important than the grinder.

/ / / / /

Babbie's Rule* of Fifteens:
-- Green (unroasted) coffee beans should be roasted within 15 months, or they go stale.
-- Roasted coffee beans should be ground within 15 days, or they go stale.
-- Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes, or it goes stale.

Your choice.

Cheers,
Jason

* OK, so there are very few hard-and-fast "rules" -- more like "rules-of-thumb."

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
justpete

Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 5:06pm

Wow. I'm going to buy a grinder after. Can you guys just recommend an espresso machine and save the lectures for another time?

One thing I've learned after being on the internet for so long - if you ignore the trolls, they'll go away.
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 5:13pm

You can  lead a horse to water...................................................
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 5:57pm

....... but you can't make him produce a decent espresso?

BigStormGirl
BigStormGirl

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Baratza Vario/Peugeot Bresil
Drip: CCD
Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 6:16pm

justpete Said:

Wow. I'm going to buy a grinder after. Can you guys just recommend an espresso machine and save he lectures for another time?

Do you think that a different machine will make a better espresso if you are using the same grinder?  The grinder is more important.  They guys here aren't lecturing you, just telling it like it is.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 6:20pm

justpete Said:

Wow. I'm going to buy a grinder after. Can you guys just recommend an espresso machine and save he lectures for another time?

James, you are the one who asked for our advice . . . you are equally free to take it or ignore it, as you please.  Just realize we say what we say, offer what we offer, for a reason.

But since you define aesthetics as being "fairly Important" (sic), I'm curious:  who are we to tell you what you find aesthetically pleasing?

rotwang
rotwang

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Pharos, KyM,  Sözen, PeDe
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: No..Cezve
Roaster: nope
Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 6:38pm

justpete Said:

It's a lecture worth listening to.  It really is.  Here's a link for you- you can choose the combo deal with the Lelit PL43 grinder and still be about 75 under budget.  Looks like they include a tamper, cups, spoons, etc in the deal.  Lelit PL41EM Espresso Machine
showing page 1 of 9 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help me buy a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.504472970963)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+