Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help me buy a decent espresso machine, please!
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help me buy a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
justpete

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 1:23pm
Subject: Re: Help me buy a decent espresso machine, please!

laservet Said:

Call one of the dealers, they may need to pull one out of the box to check. My personal experience is the Mazzer hoppers have the slide seal, Gaggia MDF does not.

Posted February 28, 2011 link

Will do.  Thanks.

One thing I've learned after being on the internet for so long - if you ignore the trolls, they'll go away.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 1:24pm

"One thing I've learned after being on the internet for so long - if you ignore the trolls, they'll go away."

Well, Peter, you haven't!  Then again, I'll confess, we haven't been ignoring you; we've been trying to help you.  Clearly that was our mistake . . . .

And yes -- there are times when it is a shame there's no "Ignore" button.  I'm done here.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
justpete

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 1:30pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

"One thing I've learned after being on the internet for so long - if you ignore the trolls, they'll go away."

Well, Peter, you haven't!  Then again, I'll confess, we haven't been ignoring you; we've been trying to help you.  Clearly that was our mistake . . . .

And yes -- there are times when it is a shame there's no "Ignore" button.  I'm done here.

I wasn't insinuating that *you* were a troll... just the last few posters seem to have felt the need to come in here and troll (one continually)... largely without bothering to read the entire thread, and accomplishing absolutely nothing except to further exacerbate any confrontation.. along with making un-provoked and un-justified attacks.  And for what purpose??? With a signature I could refer to them without addressing them directly - which is typically what they want, so they can start their flame war...

I actually found the information you sub-sequently provided very useful.  Thanks for that.

One thing I've learned after being on the internet for so long - if you ignore the trolls, they'll go away.
Friendly
Friendly

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 1:44pm

I know all about space premium...in my apartment, I can't have anything on my counter, aside from my knifes. fortunately I live by myself and my living room is empty, so I'm going to create a coffee bench that will allow me to have the space for all the equipment I'm going to buy.

all that said, being space is at a minimum and being you now realize how important the grinder is, perhaps you should consider the Mypressi MyTwist handheld espresso maker for $200 and invest your monies into a good grinder, like the Vario. something that was not addressed, that I saw, was how some of these cheaper grinders, while good, may leave grind in the burrs or chute, which leads to two things. a) stale coffee getting into a fresh grind and b) caffeinated grind getting into your decaffeinated grind. the Vario is known for often leaving less then 1g of free coffee after the grind is completed. if the health concerns are serious enough, this is something you should consider. at the same time, the MyTwist can sit in a drawer, taking up no space and the Vario ,while it's a large grinder, is 1/6th the size of an actual espresso machine, saving you space.
justpete

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 1:50pm

Friendly Said:

I know all about space premium...in my apartment, I can't have anything on my counter, aside from my knifes. fortunately I live by myself and my living room is empty, so I'm going to create a coffee bench that will allow me to have the space for all the equipment I'm going to buy.

all that said, being space is at a minimum and being you now realize how important the grinder is, perhaps you should consider the Mypressi MyTwist handheld espresso maker for $200 and invest your monies into a good grinder, like the Vario. something that was not addressed, that I saw, was how some of these cheaper grinders, while good, may leave grind in the burrs or chute, which leads to two things. a) stale coffee getting into a fresh grind and b) caffeinated grind getting into your decaffeinated grind. the Vario is known for often leaving less then 1g of free coffee after the grind is completed. if the health concerns are serious enough, this is something you should consider. at the same time, the MyTwist can sit in a drawer, taking up no space and the Vario ,while it's a large grinder, is 1/6th the size of an actual espresso machine, saving you space.

What about this guy?

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

It comes with the Ascaso duo semi-pro.  The frother it says is not as good, but I don't think I'm after latte-art as yet.

I also don't know if the hopper is seal-able - but maybe I'll just change out the beans.

cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 1:57pm
Subject: Re: Another "help me buy an espresso machine" thread

JtothaR Said:

There are so many ...........................

Using store bought pre-ground coffee is going to net you the same results in in the cup as using pods, but more effort and a messier kitchen. The only way to make the "great" coffee you are asking for is by grinding fresh beans yourself, at home on a good grinder.
Hope this helps,
James

Posted February 27, 2011 link

Wrong, using pre-ground coffee will give you a much poorer cup than a pod (individually packaged and nitrogen flushed). In fact it seems to me that pod is your best option, of course Nespresso capsules fall in the class, except they are MORE expensive.... (unless of course you do buy a decent grinder and choose to better your MANO...)
ciao, Pietro
rogue_jedi
rogue_jedi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gaggia MDF,...
Drip: Bunn BTX-B, Bodum French...
Roaster: I wish
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 2:18pm

One thing I learned in all my extensive experience on the internet...is that you don't come into a forum community and expect it to revolve around you. A forum...by definition...is a place where people with similar interests can express and exchange both like minded and differing opinions on various topics in a straightforward, yet respectful manner. It doesn't matter whether they answered your question the way you wanted them to or not. Those who have participated in this discussion had every right to answer the question in any way they saw fit...and they did so very honestly and respectfully.

You also have every right to respond to their answers by redirecting the topic back to the machine...but, instead of doing that in respectful/gracious manner...you were a complete jerk about it. From post #2 until now, you have conducted yourself like a self-centered and disrespectful child and very obviously have some serious entitlement issues. Just because you open or start a forum topic/thread doesn't make you lord over it. You can't ask a question to the community and then turn around and dictate to the community the manner in which we are supposed to answer it. Forums don't work that way...but I guess with all your internet experience you probably already knew that...Oh wait...

One thing I have learned since reading this thread...apparently, Pete got pissed off at his internet instructors for knowing more than him and trying to educate him on the subject...then skipped class the day they taught social networking and forum etiquette
justpete

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 2:28pm

This one is a DB and comes w/ a grinder.

Click Here (www.1st-line.net)

Looks like a pretty good deal.

frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 2:33pm

rogue_jedi Said:

One thing I have learned since reading this thread...apparently, Pete got pissed off at his internet instructors for knowing more than him and trying to educate him on the subject...then skipped class the day they taught social networking and forum etiquette

I love it!    +1   !

I remember back when I was playing Internet Tetris (Nettris iirc). It never failed, every summer, and during the winter break when schools were out, there would be an influx of immature comments and rudeness in the chat areas during the games. My canned response to them was, "When your mommy comes home and finds out that you were using her computer without permission, you are going to be in big trouble, mister!" Maybe I  should have just CTRL-V'd that here and been done with it.    ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2011, 2:46pm
Subject: Re: I think I am done helping out ol' Pete...

I loved Tetris - used to play an old game called "Brick Out" too - it was kind of a jazzed up version of Pong for single play.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
showing page 7 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help me buy a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.466580152512)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+