Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Solis SL70 Espresso Machine Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Solis SL70...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 28 of 29 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 9:30am
Subject: Re: The Solis SL70 Espresso Machine Thread

Bikerbob Said:

I have loosened the OPV and achieved a dribble.
My question is when pulling a double shot (25 secs and bit better than 2 oz shot) I get about  a 1/4 oz of dribble; is this normal
or should the OPV be tightened to the point of just no dribble.

Posted February 19, 2011 link

That sounds about right. I was getting a dribble when pulling a shot after adjusting my OPV to 9 bar. Have you measured the volume of water released by the OPV with a blind basket (I use a circle cut from a silicone pan liner as a blind basket insert, inserted into a standard Saeco double basket)? According to my measurements it should be about 109ml.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Kristi
Kristi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:37am

dana_leighton Said:

That sounds about right. I was getting a dribble when pulling a shot after adjusting my OPV to 9 bar. Have you measured the volume of water released by the OPV with a blind basket (I use a circle cut from a silicone pan liner as a blind basket insert, inserted into a standard Saeco double basket)? According to my measurements it should be about 109ml.

Posted February 19, 2011 link

very glad you're watching this, Dana!  I never did measure that...

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
 View Profile Link to this post
HowdyMr

Espresso: Solis Crema SL70, Bialetti...
Grinder: Spong, Deines
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 1:52pm

Thanks for the test. I've been wondering how to test mine to see if I have enough pressure and if the valve is adjusted well.

Without the filter in place I'm only getting about 2 oz in 10 seconds. I was told that's a little slow. I've put the Brew Rite and citric acid through it. Maybe I should try again? Would the test with a blind basket insert help reveal issues in this regard? That's a 25 second test, right?

In case anyone else isn't as familiar with ml, here's a conversion to oz.                 109 milliliter = 3.686 ounces [US, liquid]

Today I pulled 3 doubles. Each one was a little slow and tasted sour. I still don't know what a great espresso tastes like, so am searching a little blind anyway. But we're having fun and enjoying both the challenge and the beverages. I made a latte for my daughter-in-law this morning. She knows even less than I do, so she was delighted. Either that or she was just making me feel good. :P
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 4:28pm

afaic, if you like it, it's "a great espresso"!  if sour try the steam switch trick. turn steam switch on for 5 secs, then off, then do pull, and every 5 secs run the steam switch on for 5 secs.  this will raise the temp of the head during the pull and change the taste.  Substitute different numbers for "5"

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
HowdyMr

Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 10:26am

HowdyMr Said:

After some investigating I realized my switches weren't oriented the same as those in the manual. Down is on and up is off for both the pump and the steamer. It was designed this way as the symbols are correct.

Posted February 17, 2011 link

I was able to find an answer to this. Apparently they changed the switches later in this machine's run. The old (narrow) ones would break more easily, sometimes only lasting a year. The new (wider) ones apparently never break and are oriented opposite, with on in the down position.
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:26pm

HowdyMr Said:

I was able to find an answer to this. Apparently they changed the switches later in this machine's run. The old (narrow) ones would break more easily, sometimes only lasting a year. The new (wider) ones apparently never break and are oriented opposite, with on in the down position.

Posted February 24, 2011 link

Thanks!

How are your espressos tasting?

HowdyMr

Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 9:01pm

Still trying to figure it out, but so far they're mediocre. I'll try some more next week, but likely won't do much this weekend.

I found out that the water flow is exactly what it's supposed to be. Apparently it's a little lower on these than other machines. So, as far as I can tell now, this machine is like new, but with the OPV adjusted.
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 10:20pm

HowdyMr Said:

Still trying to figure it out, but so far they're mediocre. I'll try some more next week, but likely won't do much this weekend.

I found out that the water flow is exactly what it's supposed to be. Apparently it's a little lower on these than other machines. So, as far as I can tell now, this machine is like new, but with the OPV adjusted.

Posted February 24, 2011 link

Very odd, but definitely nice! that someone adjusted the OPV for you!!!

try the heating trick I gave above, or initially you can start your pull just when the heater goes off (I forget if the light goes on or aff after it heats up the water...)

jackalope

Espresso: Rancilio S-25
Grinder: Fiorenzato T80
Posted Thu Mar 3, 2011, 4:53pm
Subject: Solis parts?

Hey this is a great thread, thanks Kristi for sharing all the Solis information!  Do you know of a source for parts?  It looks like I need a boiler gasket.  Did some poking around online but couldn't find anything at my usual espresso machine sources.

I have an SL70 that I used for several years but then it sat for a while when I decided to take up a lot more counter space with a Rancilio S-24.  I just took my Solis and companion Rocky to the office and fired up the SL70 only to discover water leaking out.  Took it apart  (using great information that I found here in your thread... I was having a hard time figuring out how to get started) and saw that water would spew out of the left side of the boiler when it started to heat, right at the junction of the upper and lower sections.  I removed the four corner bolts and without pulling it completely out the red o-ring looks okay, so I'm hoping the boiler didn't suffer some kind of warping when it was sitting in the garage during one of our rare winter freezes.  I had drained it but not totally sure if I drained it thoroughly enough.  Anyway I see no sign of a crack, which is what I'd expect, but I'd like to finish taking it apart, clean it up and replace the gasket, see if that does the trick.  Maybe the gasket just got too brittle or something... I hope.  

Jack
Kristi
Kristi

Posted Thu Mar 3, 2011, 6:10pm
Subject: Re: Solis parts?

Hi,
I would re-read this whole thread as I suspect someone has asked that before.
I've done a bit of googling and can find nothing.
I wonder if the O-ring for the Saeco would work, but I have no idea of measurements, etc.  You could also check your local hardware stores...
Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

Also, when you put it together, coat the ring with a little high heat/pressure grease also avail in hardware stores.

Hope you find a solution!  Sorry I can't be of more help...

showing page 28 of 29 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Solis SL70...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.481606006622)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+