Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Lelit PL41 owners thread
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Lelit PL41...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
tasseloff

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Feb 11, 2011, 3:16pm
Subject: Re: Lelit PL41 owners thread

I now see what you mean.

Its quite hard to say really. Its definitely Crema thats coming over the top, but I still feel like it might be due to an overflow from the group seal. When it doesn't overflow, the flow just isn't the same, its hard to explain. I will try to make a video in the near future, it'll be easier to show.
 View Profile Link to this post
tasseloff

Posted Sat Feb 12, 2011, 8:58am

Well, I couldn't have it leak this morning, most likely because the coffee is now a few days old. However I still took a video to show the steam coming out when you pull a shot as soon as the light comes off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fqgvX965o8
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:02am

Looking at the video, I would want to do something with the showerhead.  Is there room to add a baffle plate of brass shim stock?
tasseloff

Posted Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:36am

Possibly, but I'm not sure if it would fix anything. There was actually a site where the guy tried such a thing: http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/imat/tips.html#wormholes
But he says he basically didn't notice much of an improvement.
Frost
Frost

Posted Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:49am

Quote from site:

" .......The only potential issue caused by the diffusion disc is a possible slight reduction in effectiveness of the 3 way valve, meaning pucks may not be quite as hard and dry as before. This though is largely theoretical, I haven't noticed a great change myself."

I take that to mean he is referring to the 3-way valve function, Not mentioning the potential improvement to the shot extraction quality.  Maybe I didn't read far enough,....  The design he used is what I had in mind.
Brass shim stock is easy to work with. It cuts with scissors,  a needle or micro drill for holes.
tasseloff

Posted Tue Feb 15, 2011, 6:50pm

Hmm you may be right, the text is a bit misleading. I may just give it a try if I can find a small enough brass shim to put in there.

I'll report back here if I manage to work it out.
valcs

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Lelit PL41
Grinder: Capresso
Roaster: Probat LG3, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:03am

i am so happy to find this thread. thanx @h3yn0w for the rundown of the issues with lelit. now i see the reasons of the problems.  especially with the bitter or too acid espresso. the thing is my lelit sometimes behaves ok for a week and then "misbahaves" for weeks I did not know why. But I was always suspicious about the "too hot water" issue. I made this silly video about "Bikini portafilter" but you can clearly see that initially the water burns the coffee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Qibx0nY4o . Is there a way to adjust the temperature of the water? Changing the thermostat or something?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
h3yn0w
h3yn0w

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 11:13am

valcs Said:

Is there a way to adjust the temperature of the water? Changing the thermostat or something?

Posted February 19, 2011 link

The best way to control the boiler temp is with a PID. It won't really help with temp stability DURING a shot, but it will let you set your starting temp pretty accurately.

Or you need to temp surf. Wait for heater to turn off and then either a) Start shot after X seconds b) Blow off excess pressure via steam valve before shot. c) Flush group a couple seconds before starting shot.
valcs

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Lelit PL41
Grinder: Capresso
Roaster: Probat LG3, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 11:58am

Unfortunately  PID is not the option.  i will go and try the a) , b) and c). Thanks a lot for the answer.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:03pm

Option d) put a thermometer probe on the boiler so you can tell what the boiler temp is and how the machine behaves during the thermostat cycle and cooling flushes.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Lelit PL41...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.449663162231)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+