Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia vs. Saeco
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia vs. Saeco  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mariana

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Feb 5, 2011, 6:02pm
Subject: Gaggia vs. Saeco

I live in southern Baja and my faithful saeco died -- after many resuscitations over the years he is just gone.  I have an absolutely maximum budget of $400 - prefer to keep it under $300 and I have to ask someone flying down to bring it for me.  So there  is no opportunity for service, no chance to send it back if it is not what I want.  My Saeco kept me going daily for five years - it wasn't perfect but neither am I and I was grateful every morning for my cappuccino that he faithfully produced.  Yes, I know, the frother wasn't great but we got by.

The Gaggia Classic or Gaggia New Baby are contenders as is another Saeco.  I do not want anything that needs pods.  My son says go with the Gaggia but he doesn't care about milk or frothing.  Any and all opinions/suggestions/guidance gratefully apprecaited.
This is my first post here - thank you.
 View Profile Link to this post
bobp

Posted Sun Feb 6, 2011, 7:59pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia vs. Saeco

I just bought a Gaggia Classic and I'm not satisfied.  The machine comes with the boiler pressure set to 11 bar, for use with ESE pods.
You'll have to get a hold of a pressure gauge to reset the machine down to 9 bar for use with ground coffee.
The Gaggia boiler is only 3 ounces (100ml) so it doesn't have much steaming power, but it is enough for 1 cappuccino.
The small boiler means that it does comes to temp very quickly.  My experience isn't extensive but from my observations, pulling a good tasting shot is hit or miss with this machine.  I think you should buy an Aeroccino plus frother for $85 and a Primula Moka pot for $10.
Good luck.
wcmocha
wcmocha
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Nemox Lux
Drip: Keurig
Posted Sun Feb 6, 2011, 9:11pm

The Classic does need a little tuning out of the box for real consistent espresso shots.  But with a little work it is an amazing machine for the money.  I have to admit I haven't owned other machines, buy I do know enough to see how well built it is.  The problem is that it's set up for pressurized portafilters now.

As for the steaming issue.  I found a trick that works great.  From brew mode, start a timer when you flip the steam switch and experiment.  I wait 28 seconds, purge the wand and begin steaming.  Now there is no lack of steam.  The nice thing about the boiler is that it heats up quickly.  You're trying to steam before it reaches temp because it had to cool down a bit too much before it begins heating again.
AlexD

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011, 7:37pm

The Gaggia Classic is a solid machine that can produce great shots if the other variables are fine tuned (grind, dose, and tamp).  You can switch out the stock wand with a Silvia steam wand to improve the frothing/steaming performance.  It's built like a tank so it should last for years if properly taken care of.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia vs. Saeco  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.336630105972)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+