Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Pressurized filter basket?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pressurized...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
terrapin72

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: DeLonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm KBTS
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Dec 27, 2010, 4:13pm
Subject: Pressurized filter basket?

So I received a Delonghi EC155 for christmas from the Mrs.  Not my first choice, but hey, I am a noob, so I figured this might be a good way to get started at least.

I pulled a few shots for the first time this morning for a couple of latte's - they tasted decent, better than the Starbucks stuff for sure, but not quite as good as those sourced from my local coffeehouse.  As I pulled the shots, I saw an abundance of "crema" - and for some reason, it just seemed fake.  I took a look at the portafilter and the filter basket, and they looked different than most I have seen pictures of or in person before.  Here's what I found (I couldnt figure out how to embed pictures inline):

A picture of the PF and the basket:
Click Here (lh6.ggpht.com)

You can unscrew the little fitting with two pinholes from the bottom of the filter basket:

Click Here (lh5.ggpht.com)

Then the filter portion of the filter basket pops out and disassembles to this:

Click Here (lh4.ggpht.com)

I can take out the plastic bits and invert the filter fitting into the rubber gasket and it becomes this:

Click Here (lh4.ggpht.com)

Which looks like this from the bottom:

Click Here (lh5.ggpht.com)

My question is this - are these plastic bits a system to pressurize the PF to create the fake crema?  Should I run the filter in the basket as it looks in the last two pictures, and would I get better results this way?  Curious what some of the experts out there think...thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Mon Dec 27, 2010, 7:05pm
Subject: Re: Pressurized filter basket?

You definitely have a pressurized portafilter, and looks like you figured out how to de-pressurize it.  The pressurized basket hides flaws in the shot due to improper grind or stale beans, by introducing a whirlpool action and infusing air into the brew, making your 'enhanced' crema.
Removing the pressurization tidbits is sort of like falling down the rabbit hole.  All bets are off.
Make sure you have fresh coffee, roasted within 15 days of roast and ground within 15 minutes of use.
You'll probably find you will need to grind much finer when using a regular basket..
I read once it's easier to work from too fine and loosen the grind rather than being too coarse and trying to tighten it in.
Good luck!
terrapin72

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: DeLonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm KBTS
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Dec 28, 2010, 3:00pm

Thanks - got around to trying it with the basket "modification" - and it looks like it is working a bit better.  I get 2oz in around 27sec and it had pretty good flavor in a latte (I know, I know - but that is where I am at.)  I would recommend this super easy mod to other EC155 owners! This is with a 1 click from the finest grind on my Baratza Maestro Plus.

This is with crap espresso beans that my wife bought in a pinch a couple of days before Christmas - will be trying my excellent local roasters' expresso soon (http://www.sustainablecoffee.com/).
fwtechwiz

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Tue Dec 28, 2010, 3:51pm

The original p/f basket with my Hamilton Beach was very similar, only it did not have the adjustable gizmo thing (technical term) under it.  Word of caution, the rubber gasket will split easily after 5 or 6 cleanings.  Remove the steel mesh filter carefully.
canonshooter

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Tue Dec 28, 2010, 7:20pm

The pressurized portafilter that came with my Saeco was the same way. I have been using a non-pressurized PF and definitely prefer it. I used the pressurized PF once when I was in a hurry making my wife a Mocha. Even she noticed the difference. And that was in a Mocha! When you go away from pressurized you definitely have a lot more variables that you have to worry about! When you get a good tasting shot (happens more often than not) it is definitely worth it!!

MK
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pressurized...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335010051727)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+