Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best espresso machine for under $200?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
andyn

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Dec 9, 2010, 10:18am
Subject: Best espresso machine for under $200?

First post here. I tried searching but the site kept giving me errors, so I'll likely be the 10th guy to post a thread about this. Sorry.

My company is looking to buy an espresso machine for our office and has set the budget preeeetty low at $200. What's the most popular 'budget' machine in this price range?
 View Profile Link to this post
ilcaffedio

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Dec 9, 2010, 10:59am
Subject: Re: Best espresso machine for under $200?

You could find a low-end new Gaggia for around $200, or a classic for under $100 on eBay.  Really though, in an office environment a plumbed in HX or DB is ideal.
I'm guessing the grinder is to be included in the budget also?  In that case however, I hate to say you're out of luck.
joatmon

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 9, 2010, 11:08am

Removed
andyn

Posted Thu Dec 9, 2010, 11:29am

Yeah...I had a feeling that's what I was going to hear. We've got a few drippers, I suppose it's time to train the troops.

Thanks for the feedback.
Zimberto

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Barista Vario
Roaster: Zack & Dani's
Posted Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:03am

It's possible to pick up a used super automatic for around $200 - I know because I recently sold one for that. If you set it up properly and get some decent coffee, you could produce espresso that most people would find acceptable, at least for latte's and cappuccino's. Many people here will shudder at that, but it worked for our small company a few years back. Sure beat running out to Starbucks.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:37am

I agree with Joat. Forget the espresso machine. Since you say you have a "few" drippers, I assume that refers to the machines, and so represents an office of a size which would preclude most small machines in that price range. These machines are such that whoever picks it out and or seems to represent it will risk having it as a millstone around the neck. There are other, less finicky methods to make better coffee in this situation. More details about the size of the staff using the setup and the location where it will be located would assist in others making recommendations.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Zimberto

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Barista Vario
Roaster: Zack & Dani's
Posted Sun Dec 12, 2010, 12:30am

Andy, imagine walking into Whole Foods and asking for their best $3 chicken. The answer will be "we don't do ANY $3 chickens here. All our chickens are free range, grain fed, organic, blah blah blah". In the same way this is not the place to ask about a $200 espresso machine. It's not that it's not possible, it's just that they don't do $200 espresso machines here. I'm telling you it can be done, but I also know that people here won't agree with me because most of them lost their sense of reality many years ago. They have trained their palate to the point that unless they have spent $2000+ on equipment and $20/lb on their coffee they can't conceive that the resultant coffee is drinkable. I used to enjoy Starbucks lattes. I now think they taste horrible and need to make my own. Am I any happier now? No. Would your co-workers be happy with espresso from a $200 used super-automatic? I'll bet that most of them would be.
jona2

Posted Sun Dec 12, 2010, 4:53am

Zimberto Said:

Andy, imagine walking into Whole Foods and asking for their best $3 chicken. The answer will be "we don't do ANY $3 chickens here. All our chickens are free range, grain fed, organic, blah blah blah". In the same way this is not the place to ask about a $200 espresso machine. It's not that it's not possible, it's just that they don't do $200 espresso machines here. I'm telling you it can be done, but I also know that people here won't agree with me because most of them lost their sense of reality many years ago. They have trained their palate to the point that unless they have spent $2000+ on equipment and $20/lb on their coffee they can't conceive that the resultant coffee is drinkable. I used to enjoy Starbucks lattes. I now think they taste horrible and need to make my own. Am I any happier now? No. Would your co-workers be happy with espresso from a $200 used super-automatic? I'll bet that most of them would be.

Posted December 12, 2010 link

1+
your post made me smile Zimberto
aecletec

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Presso
Grinder: Faema A6
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Dec 12, 2010, 6:20am

What about a presso?
They seem to be a pain to get decent espresso out of (pre-heat song and dance) but for the undiscerning it could make something passable... Never used one though, just read user comments.
Probably not robust enough for an office? (considering all the breakages reported online)
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Sun Dec 12, 2010, 7:44am

Zimberto Said:

Posted December 12, 2010 link

+2
your post made me grin Zimberto, although I do not know about Whole Foods and never had a Starbucks latte....
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.473014116287)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+