Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The La Marzocco GS/3 Owners' Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The La Marzocco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 122 of 128 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Craigo87

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione,...
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Baratza...
Drip: Starbuck's Barista Aroma
Posted Wed Dec 1, 2010, 1:40pm
Subject: Re: The La Marzocco GS/3 Owners' Thread

JonR10 Said:

That might be me, although I am not the only fellow from Texas using this type of system  ;-)  

I'm using a Flojet water pump that draws water from standard 5-gallon bottles that feeds through a Shurflo accumulator (the type for RV's and boats).  From the Accumulator I go through a 5-micron filter (belt-and-suspenders) and then to the machine inlet.  All the plumbing was done using watts (John Guest) plastic push-in compression fittings and 3/8" plastic tubing (all available at Home Depot).

My newest setp has the pump, accumulator and filter all mounted to a board with ball valves between each element to allow me to isolate any item for repair or replacement.  IOpening a line pressurized with an accumulator can get messy  ;-)  

I've been looking for a picture, but I can't find one....so I guess I'll have to take some new pics.  
Email me if you'd like full-rez images showing fittings and plumbing etc. OK?

Posted December 1, 2010 link

Hi Jon,

I sent you an email requesting the new pics that you offered. I forgot to add that I'd appreciate model numbers for the Flojet pump, Shurflo accumulator and filter as well. I did a search on Flojet pump and although I found one that appears to do the trick (ITT Flojet 4406 series click here) one feature is that it eliminates the need for an accumulator tank, so it must be different than yours. If you think there are other options that might be better, that info would be appreciated as well. I have space below the bar in a 30" wide cabinet, although I'll probably have to use a 3 gal. low-wide jug due to hight restrictions. I'm assuming these pumps are pressure adjustable so that I can dial in 3 bars, correct?

Thanks for your help,
Craigo
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 1, 2010, 3:54pm

Craigo87 Said:

Hi Jon,

I sent you an email requesting the new pics that you offered.

Hmmm....I didn't see your message.  I'm JonR10-at-yahoo.com

Craigo87 Said:

I forgot to add that I'd appreciate model numbers for the Flojet pump, Shurflo accumulator and filter as well.

The flojet I use is set up to draw from the bottles already and the inlet tube may be over 30" (I can measure when I get home).  Here is a link to the one I purchased CLICK HERE.  It does not allow for adjusting the line pressure, but operates at a preset value.  

And here is the Shurflo accumulator I used CLICK HERE

Please retry the email and I will forward some pics when I get home, OK?

Cheers,
Jon

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Craigo87

Posted Thu Dec 2, 2010, 1:27am

Jon,
I'm curious about the pre-infusion pressure you get with the Flojet system. I read the specs on the Flojet and it shows 30psi operating and 40psi max. That seems low if one is trying to pre-infuse at 3bar.  At what pressure do you have your Shurflo accumulator set?

I've looked at each of the components in your chain for the system and I believe I've got a handle on the hookups. This is definitely the way I want to proceed with providing quality water to the machine.

btw, did you receive my email yet? I had to resend it as I had your email address wrong the first time.

Thank you,
Craigo
networkcrasher
networkcrasher

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: Nino, M3, SJ, Rocky
Vac Pot: GCBC Yama
Roaster: Hot Top, Behmor, SC/TO
Posted Thu Dec 2, 2010, 7:53am

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jon has a volumetric GS/3, which uses its pump for preinfusion pressure.
JonR10
JonR10

Posted Thu Dec 2, 2010, 8:34am

networkcrasher Said:

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jon has a volumetric GS/3, which uses its pump for preinfusion pressure.

Posted December 2, 2010 link

You are correct, I do not have a paddle group so there is no line preinfusion (it is pump-fed).  And also, I have the preinfusion volume set to only wet the puck so there is no appreciable pressure buildup during preinfusion.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
Craigo87

Posted Thu Dec 2, 2010, 9:50am

JonR10 Said:

You are correct, I do not have a paddle group so there is no line preinfusion (it is pump-fed).  And also, I have the preinfusion volume set to only wet the puck so there is no appreciable pressure buildup during preinfusion.

Hmmm. So what is your preinfusion pressure and do you feel it wets the puck thoroughly before you go to pump pressure? I've got a call in to Roger at LM, so I'll let you know what he says about the Flojet BW1000 and the paddle group preinfusion. Is there anybody else out there using this setup with the paddle???

Perhaps my question should be, what kind of line pressure are people using with GS/3 paddle versions? I'd imagine most people are using in-line pressure reducers off the plumbed line.
JonR10
JonR10

Posted Thu Dec 2, 2010, 3:10pm

Craigo87 Said:

Hmmm. So what is your preinfusion pressure and do you feel it wets the puck thoroughly before you go to pump pressure?

Again - I'm not building any pressure during preinfusion.  The way I define it, my preinfusion pressure is zero.  My machine is set to pump a small amount of water into the brewing chamber and then pause for a second or two, and then resume pumping water until I stop it (or it reaches 2 ounces or 50 seconds, whatever comes first)

The theory has been argued in the past, but I still think that the puck surface only sees atmospheric pressure (zero gauge pressure) until the headspace (space between puck surface and group screen) is filled with water and then the pressure will rise as more water is fed iinto the brew chamber.  

My preinfusion is setup to only wet the surface of the puck, and when I did some experimenting I saw that I was only getting the puck wet less than 1/2-way through the thickness (the bottom stays dry).  In order to fully saturate the puck during preinfusion you will need to apply some pressure, but I don't know how much will be sufficient to saturate the puck in your desired time

On my machine, the pump runs to preinfuse, then it pauses (for a programmed period) and then the pump resumes again until the shot is stopped.  So I personally do not want to build any pressure and fully saturate the puck because I feel like stopping and starting the pump could have negative effects on the pressurized puck.

A paddle group is able to feed line pressure into the brew chamber without running the pump, and then engage the pump to increace the pressure to complete the shot.  My machine does not have this capability.  

Amazingly, my shots often seem to come out OK, but I'm sure they could be better  ;-)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
Craigo87

Posted Thu Dec 2, 2010, 6:43pm

Thanks again Jon for the input.

I spoke with Roger today from LM about this issue and he said that I'd need at least between 40psi to 60psi to take advantage of the paddle group pre-infusion of the GS/3. Armed with that bit of info, I was able to find a pump that will do the job. It is a Flojet model 02100953G. He recommended that I include an accumulator in the link and I told him that was already in the plan, thanks to you.
Panchoy
Panchoy

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Posted Sat Dec 4, 2010, 10:14pm

Dear GS/3 gurus,

I have looked everywhere and I can't find any information regarding the meaning of the two display elements highlighted by the red square in the photo.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Panchoy: GS3_Disp.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JonR10
JonR10

Posted Sun Dec 5, 2010, 7:30am

Panchoy Said:

Any clues?

Posted December 4, 2010 link

I believe that those are used as heating element indicators

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
showing page 122 of 128 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The La Marzocco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.519357919693)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+