Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Single-Boiler vs. Heat Exchanger (HX) dilemma [Rancilio / Pasquini]
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Single-Boiler...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
kojach

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium +
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Braun AromaDeluxe KF510
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 9:04am
Subject: Single-Boiler vs. Heat Exchanger (HX) dilemma [Rancilio / Pasquini]

To give you all some context, I'm coming from a super-cheap and very low-end steam powered consumer machine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kojach/5192583134/ (first time for everything!)

I love espresso, and admit that though I used to have a cheap burr grinder in the past, I've become lazy and now just ask my local coffee shop to espresso-grind the beans for me. But I do want to improve my barista skills and have creamy micro-foam with nice crema shots.

My budget is ~$1,200 for a good machine + grinder, so I'm down to 2 very different machines:

I also like to entertain a lot, but it's frustrating having to wait between cups/shots to de-pressurize and fill waterwhen I need to get 6 lattes out to people.

And I'm sensing that a Rancilio would be just as frustrating, since I'd be waiting for temperature surfing between steaming and brewing.

Which is why I'm eyeballing the Pasquini as it is a HX machine in my budget, and it seems I could go from shot to shot with steaming in between with little waiting time.

What worries me is that I see a million positive reviews of the Rancilio especially with PID modifications, and few reviews of the Pasquini from the occasional person that bought one.

Thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
Garrett

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 9:42am
Subject: Re: Single-Boiler vs. Heat Exchanger (HX) dilemma [Rancilio / Pasquini]

(I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts too on this--You could go the route I'm going (until I pick up my Rocket Giotto in a few months...) which is I ordered the Silvia with Vario for $1,018 + Free 2 Day Shipping and then you could purchase the PID separate for ~$210ish (Click Here (www.auberins.com)) which puts you just a hair over your budget.  The lux grinder, although nice to be stepless, I think you'll do better with the Vario.  I do like the idea of having dual thermoblocks is nice but if you do Americanos or use hot water, you'll be using a kettle.  Too bad they don't bundle the T2 with the Vario and skip the stand....  

Another idea, because you entertain, you could also do a Silvano which uses a thermoblock for the steam side and a Rocky for the same price range over at Chris Coffee.  Or put just a hair more in (talk to Chris and they'll help you out) and get a Vario with it.  This is another idea and a great machine (I regret not getting it now on a used one, new + Vario is a hair more then my budget of 1k)

Just some ideas for you :)

Garrett

- Garrett
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 10:12am
Subject: Re: Single-Boiler vs. Heat Exchanger (HX) dilemma [Rancilio / Pasquini]

kojach Said:

Which is why I'm eyeballing the Pasquini as it is a HX machine in my budget

Posted November 22, 2010 link

Just a quick hint. Before placing your order, spend a bit of time researching the difference between H/X and Dual Thermoblock.

Dan Brewer
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 10:32am

What Dan is saying is that the Pasquini is not an HX, but uses a thermoblock for both the brew water and the steam.  I think that the Quickmill Silvano would be a better choice given the PID for the real brew boiler and the dedicated thermoblock for steaming.  Couple the Silvano with a Baratza Vario and you will be in great shape.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
kojach

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 11:01am

Yeah that was just a poor choice of words on my part... I understand the thermoblock design doesn't produce consistent temperatures, and a true boiler is a preferred setup - so that would be a trade-off.

I'll check out those machines to compare. Thanks a lot!
iDrinkCoffeeCanada

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP, Speedster,...
Grinder: Versalab, Robur E
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Roaster: Diedrich IR-12
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 11:24am

Like mentioned the Livietta is not a heat exchanger but a single boiler which has a thermoblock for steaming.  

Also bear in mind import costs and duties if you are shipping it from the states, you can expect to pay a 9% duty on top of exchange, shipping and brokerage costs.

If you are entertaining often and making milk based beverages then a heat exchanger is a better choice as a single boiler dual purpose machine will be quite slow.

The BZ99 by Bezzera is likely the least expensive HX on the market and it is essentially a Pasquini Livia (1.5 litre HX)

SJ

Find www.iDrinkCoffee.com on facebook and become a fan for deals, contests and more.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Garrett

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 11:31am

Funny I just noticed the post saying HX and didn't think "wait how'd i miss a sub-$1,000 machine that is a HX?" I've never been a fan of thermoblocks and hence going with the Silvia for me but the Silvano for entertaining should do very well.  The Vario will also be good because if you upgrade down the road, it'll hold up to a lot of HX or DB machines.

Silvano:
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/silvano

Vario:
Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

Though not sure about the costs to Canada...

- Garrett
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 11:35am

iDrinkCoffeeCanada Said:

Like mentioned the Livietta is not a heat exchanger but a single boiler which has a thermoblock for steaming.  

Posted November 22, 2010 link

From the link provided by the OP:

Pasquini Livietta...Dual Thermblock Boiler System: The Livietta T2 has 2 thermoblocks for a steady supply of espresso as well as steam, anytime you need it. With the Livietta, you can froth or steam milk for lattes and cappuccinos even while you brew. This makes the machine great for entertaining, allowing you to create a number of different drinks without making guests wait long.

Dan Brewer
kojach

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 11:37am

Yeah that Silvano looks amazing!

I'll need to track down the best place to get it from that doesn't ship UPS ground (since apparently they won't charge brokerage fees for air shipments - as per my last conversation with UPS).

As for the grinder I'm not too fussy - but will likely be doser-less.
Garrett

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 11:44am

You could try Click Here (www.idrinkcoffee.com) They ship Canada Post Expedited

See if they'll price match Chris Coffee with the appropriate exchange rates too (maybe they will?) That'd be awesome then....

- Garrett
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Single-Boiler...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.422111034393)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+