Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Why wouldnt everybody buy a Quickmill superautomatic
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Why wouldnt...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
rettaps

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 2011 V3 Vibiemme DB Super...
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh, Versalab...
Vac Pot: Cona,
Drip: Techniworm, 6 cup Chemex
Roaster: San Franciscan
Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010, 9:53pm
Subject: Re: Why wouldnt everybody buy a Quickmill superautomatic

Ya, i never gave that any thought, quickmill could have that issue because the grinder is right above the brewing chamber,
Did anyone preorder one? Who will give us the first review on it? Chris claims its been at work for 6 months at Mc Donald with very good proformance,
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 7:29am

rettaps Said:

Ok that was convincing, i think im one of these that wouldnt trade my setup for that superauto, but lets take another approach here, lets say driving a pickup with a manual or automatic transmission, sure the driver might be skilled enough to find a slightly better gear then the automatic would, but still no doubt automatic transmissions are taking over fast, would the quickmill make other improvements along the line to even narrow the gap from manual to superautomatic?

Posted November 21, 2010 link

To continue your analogy, no matter how far automatic transmissions come along they're not going to change my preference for a manual.  I want to be involved in the driving process and an auto detaches me further from my car.  I'm not sure that the analogy translates back to espresso equipment in this particular case, but there it is.

I guess "more complexity, more prone to breakdown" still applies.  Not only that but concerns such as budget as well.  The world isn't one-size-fits-all regardless of topic.  There are any number of reasons why a given person wouldn't consider a superauto.  For me, taste is the biggest reason.

rettaps Said:

and i was wondering why we all don't buy one of these instead or paying that for a machine without a grinder and need a grinder as well,
also would be faster, easier, and no mess, think i'm missing something here?

Posted November 20, 2010 link

Well, one thing you're missing is the existing discussions on superautos.  Most of this stuff has been touched on in former threads.

As I said, the world isn't one-size-fits-all.  You need to lay out your priorities and purchase based on them.  If you place convenience above all else then a superauto might be a good fit for you.
rettaps

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 2011 V3 Vibiemme DB Super...
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh, Versalab...
Vac Pot: Cona,
Drip: Techniworm, 6 cup Chemex
Roaster: San Franciscan
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 7:43am

takeshi Said:

Well, one thing you're missing is the existing discussions on superautos.  Most of this stuff has been touched on in former threads.

Posted November 22, 2010 link

Yes, i know, but nobody ever directly related any topic to the quickmill, me coming from Saeco, I would never go back, but the quickmill seems to have fixed alot of the issues these junky saecos had,
takeshi
takeshi

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 7:54am

rettaps Said:

Yes, i know, but nobody ever directly related any topic to the quickmill, me coming from Saeco, I would never go back, but the quickmill seems to have fixed alot of the issues these junky saecos had,

The brand/model doesn't make a difference.  There have been no revolutionary changes that make superautos produce god shots on demand.  If that was the case, we'd have a cover story here and at Home Barista.

IMO, that's what it would take for all of us to even consider switching to superautos.

It sounds like you may be in a different boat from most if you came from Saeco superautos and your only concern was Saeco reliability.  What the Saecos (as well as other superautos) produce make them a nonstarter for the rest of us and that's the important point from the former threads IMO for answering the very question that this thread asks.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 8:01am

rettaps Said:

Chris claims its been at work for 6 months at Mc Donald with very good proformance,

And I would believe him . . . Chris is one of my "go to" vendors, and I've had nothing but great dealings with both he and his staf, both beore and after the sale.  But keep in mind what "good performance" means:  for you and me, it's what's in the cup; for a vendor, it may mean no breakdowns, no returns, no complaints.

Just a thought . . .

takeshi Said:

TThere have been no revolutionary changes that make superautos produce god shots on demand.  If that was the case, we'd have a cover story here and at Home Barista.

Amen to that!

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
takeshi
takeshi

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 8:04am

Jmanespresso Said:

Why?  Well, while taste is of high importance, using our equipment and making the coffee is easily just as important.  I know it is to me anyway.  I love weighing out my coffee and grinding it, giving the portafilter a quick tap while thwackin' the doser, do a quick yet calculated finger sweep into the knockbox, watching the beautiful shot form, oh, and who could forget the ever satisfying "Thud!" of the portafilter on the knockbox?

Posted November 20, 2010 link

This brings it back to my comment on the automatic transmission analogy.  Even if an automatic has better performance numbers on paper the driving experience matters to me.  I'd consider what Jmanespresso describes above to be akin to the synergy I feel with proper shifts on a manual with a clutch pedal.  That 3rd pedal makes a big difference in the experience for me.  For others, it may be a nuisance.

I guess it's the same way with shaving for me.  A modern 5 blade Gillette and gel/foam in a can may be more convenient but I prefer the experience of preparing my face with a hot towel, lathering with a good badger brush and good shave soap and shaving with my double edge safety razor.  In the end I get a closer, smoother shave with the "old school" approach using just one blade.

To each his own.  One person's experience is another's chore.  One person's convenience is another's new-fangled-solution-with-mediocre-results.
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 1:31pm

ryguy Said:

+1 :)

Even if a high-end super auto could potentially produce espresso on par with high-end semi/auto + grinder combos in the right hands, what advantage is there if you still have to meticulously control everything? I thought the advantage to a super auto was your 1-touch expressos (sic) and cappuccinos. So if you're going to be micromanaging everything to eek out every last bit of flavor, why not just stick with the traditional setup?

because of human nature there is no place for "one size fits all"
The real advantage of a superauto is that you  "tune" for first drink then the machine replicates for rest of day or period (like in a semi traditional set-up where you make changes, from time to time for weather, beans aging ....)
and because it is not true that after all machine is just a hot water delivery system,

rettaps Said:

Ya, i never gave that any thought, quickmill could have that issue because the grinder is right above the brewing chamber,
Did anyone preorder one? Who will give us the first review on it? Chris claims its been at work for 6 months at Mc Donald with very good proformance,

the bean hopper abobe the brew cup is not affected by humidity....at least not by the very minimum humidity released in the brewing process

gime2much Said:

And you can bet their Franke cost a lot more than $2500.....$27,000 was a figure being thrown around.

actually $bucks are using Termoplan machines, which has made everybody else in the superauto business unhappy......and they are very good machines with potential for top quality espresso..., unfortunately in spite of price Termoplan machines are not intelligent and need operator tuning....and if that happened, even waitress could make great cup...

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

And I would believe him . . . Chris is one of my "go to" vendors, and I've had nothing but great dealings with both he and his staf, both beore and after the sale.  But keep in mind what "good performance" means:  for you and me, it's what's in the cup; for a vendor, it may mean no breakdowns, no returns, no complaints.

Just a thought . . .

Amen to that!

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason (again...)
and it could not be otherwise : a vendor has to worry for complaints, returns, breackdowns, whatever equipment he sells : what's in the cup depends strictly on the user and his personal know how.
Again I used to kid you on Chris beeing sold out of this machine for too long: I must admit that he was damn serious working to make a good machine better...(I understand that he is waiting for delivery of a batch of 24 QM superautos..... lets see what report from lucky owners will be..(probably it would be more correct to call them "wishfull", at least at this stage.., but you can bet that great majority will report -not anticipating for them-)
Ciao everybody, Pietro
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Why wouldnt...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.560955047607)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+