Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Will a voltage converter wreck a Rancilio Silvia?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Will a voltage...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
HelenE

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 5, 2010, 6:21pm
Subject: Will a voltage converter wreck a Rancilio Silvia?

We're about to buy a Rancilio Silvia. We live in the United States but we're likely to make a temporary (four-year) move to Germany in less than a year.

Obviously we would need a good quality voltage converter (Germany is 220V; USA is 110V) as well as an outlet adapter if we're going to use the machine in Germany.  Could using a voltage converter wreck the machine or cause it to function in any non-optimal way?

(We've been waiting a while to buy the Rancilio Silvia and don't want to wait until we move to Germany, if we can help it. Just want to make sure we're not going to ruin it, either!)

Thank you!
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Nov 5, 2010, 6:33pm
Subject: Re: Will a voltage converter wreck a Rancilio Silvia?

A voltage converter should be easily obtainable and cause no problems whatsoever with your Sylvia!   Ron
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2010, 12:54am

Hi Helen,

First off welcome to the forum.

While I agree with Ron I think I should chime in here.  There are several types of voltage converters available.  You need to be sure you don't get the wrong one.

The Silvia requires about 1000 Watts.  The pump takes about 50 watts.  The heater on US machines has been rated at 800 Watts. the European machines have an 1100 Watt heater. I am not sure what the current Silvia heaters take.  The conservative approach would be to assume 1100 Watts.  There are transformers which will handle that.  They are large and fairly spendy.  They will do a fine job.

Voltage converters sold in travel stores are of two types. 1. The low power converters intended for electronics. These are transformers capabile of tens of Watts.  They will not come close to handling the heater in the Silvia.  2. Phase control type. These converters alter the voltage waveform of the power so the equivalent hearing value is similar to US power.  These are sutable for irons and hair dryers.  There is no telling what one of these converters would do to the pump in the Sylvia.

Now if you are a hacker it might be possible to split the pump from the heater in the machine and use the low power converter for the pump and the second type converter for the heater.  This might be smaller and cheaper but it might also be a kludge and a deathtrap.  Even so that is probably what I would do  being a cheapskate (I prefer the term frugal).

The sensable approach would be to get a transformer capabile of more than 1200 Watts.

Phil

HelenE Said:

We're about to buy a Rancilio Silvia. We live in the United States but we're likely to make a temporary (four-year) move to Germany in less than a year.

Obviously we would need a good quality voltage converter (Germany is 220V; USA is 110V) as well as an outlet adapter if we're going to use the machine in Germany.  Could using a voltage converter wreck the machine or cause it to function in any non-optimal way?

(We've been waiting a while to buy the Rancilio Silvia and don't want to wait until we move to Germany, if we can help it. Just want to make sure we're not going to ruin it, either!)

Thank you!

Posted November 5, 2010 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
c4h5n2o
c4h5n2o
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LM
Grinder: Bunn/Vario
Drip: Swiss gold
Roaster: No time
Posted Thu Nov 11, 2010, 1:25am

HelenE Said:

Could using a voltage converter wreck the machine or cause it to function in any non-optimal way?

Posted November 5, 2010 link

Using a step down transformer (voltage converter) is unlikely to cause you problems. Since your machine is nominally 1100W, look for a 1500+ watt model. You should be able to find one under $75.

The transformer will reduce the 230V in Germany to the 120V that a machine purchased in the U.S. will expect. However there is also the matter of line frequency which is 60 hz in N. America and 50 hz in Germany. For the most part this will just cause the (vibe) pump in the Silvia to run about 15% slower. It is unlikely to be a problem for Silvia's electronics. It will put some stress on your vibe pump. But I wouldn't expect it to cause you problems for home use. If you want to be extra cautious, you could invest in a 230V pump ($50) for the duration of your stay abroad. But you should also be fine using the original pump.
HelenE

Posted Thu Nov 11, 2010, 6:43am

Phil, Ron and c4h5n2o -- thank you so much!  It looks like we'll be able to get our Silvia for Christmas with a clear conscience (and a few extra gadgets!)

I appreciate all your help.
HelenE

Posted Fri May 6, 2011, 6:50pm

Thanks again for the advice! I have a follow-up question (and now I have a Silvia too):

will this work?
Click Here (www.220converters.com)

It is step-down only; we won't be buying any appliances in Germany to bring back to the US, so we shouldn't need the step-up, right? Is there anything that suggests to you that we shouldn't buy this one?

Only a month away from our move now!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri May 6, 2011, 6:57pm

HelenE Said:

Thanks again for the advice! I have a follow-up question (and now I have a Silvia too):

will this work?

It is step-down only; we won't be buying any appliances in Germany to bring back to the US, so we shouldn't need the step-up, right? Is there anything that suggests to you that we shouldn't buy this one?

Posted May 6, 2011 link

If the Rancilio uses 1500 watts or less, yes it will work.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
Arethusa

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Posted Sat May 7, 2011, 3:12pm

Does it really make sense to use a converter rather than just buy an espresso machine in Europe?  4 years isn't that short.
HelenE

Posted Sun May 8, 2011, 3:47pm

We've considered it -- three years is the likely time -- but if we're confident that a converter won't damage the Silvia we'd rather spend that $55 than the $600+ it would take to buy a new one in Germany :)
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 10:14am

Hi Helen,

This transformer should work fine.  If you are using a 120 Volt grinder as well just don't use it on the same transformer while the Silvia heater is active.  

By the way transformers are bilateral.  If you acquire an appliance which you can't part with which is within the capacity of the transformer you should be able to bring it back.  The output of your transformer will be the input for step up and the input will be the output.  You will have to change the connectors of coarse.  The 110 volt plug can be easily found here but the 220 volt receptacle will be easier to obtain in Europe.

Phil

HelenE Said:

will this work?

Posted May 6, 2011 link

Philip J. Keleshian
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Will a voltage...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.492483139038)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+