Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Le'Lit PL41EM: Machine limitations or is it just me?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Le'Lit PL41EM:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
ihaveanidea

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010, 6:02pm
Subject: Re: Le'Lit PL41EM: Machine limitations or is it just me?

I don't have one either, but I've helped a friend dial his in, so I'll offer my experience...

A cooling flush is def. needed, somewhere around 2 oz, maybe 3. (It's been a while so I can't remember)  
I usually looked for the "dance" to stop and the water stream to stabilize.

The limitations of the boiler size only seem to come into play if you're trying to pull larger than 2oz doubles.

As for the OPV, like Ron said, I'd look into swapping one in. The Silvia's could work...
Click Here (www.1st-line.net)
 View Profile Link to this post
h3yn0w
h3yn0w

Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010, 8:06pm

I'm happy to hear that any OPV will work should I choose to go that route.

That said, I'm still questioning whether or not it's needed. I should be able to simply dial in a grind/tamp that yields 9 bar and get good results. That's the plan, for now:)

In general, is there any difference between a cooling flush at the group head vs releasing steam from the wand?
Rob55
Rob55
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Wed Nov 10, 2010, 5:45pm

ok.... well guess I will take another shot .. LOL ...

The point is to reduce the temp... so cooling flush/open steam wand nets the same thing IMHO. I would also say try both and see which works the best for you. I like using the steam wand. I can tell just by cracking it open a little if its close to the heater kicking on... if it just finished ... or somewhere in between.

Why not try a coffee that likes higher temps? In an earlier thread someone told me that maybe I should avoid Vivace Dolce because it needed higher temps .... so I got some.. partly because telling me I should avoid it was sort of a challenge LOL .... and because the Lelit temps are a bit high.... Best straight shots I have had so far are from the Dolce.... TRY SOME.... you can get it from Roaste for 16 a LB ...free delivery if you buy 2LBs...... and comes in 1/2 bags Maybe someone who has been doing this for awhile can tell us other coffees that like the higher temps
h3yn0w
h3yn0w

Posted Wed Nov 10, 2010, 9:26pm

I'd like to give the Vivace Dolce a try, but I'm in Canada and not sure where I can get some at a reasonable price.

That said, I think I've sorted out the temp issue. I ended up trying the styrofoam cup method and a fast read thermometer to play around with different cooling flushes and check my brew temp at the group head. Here is what works for my machine (i'm guessing every machine will be a bit different).

1/  I flush out a bit of water, again and again until the heating element kicks in.
2/  Once the heating element turns off, I do a quick cooling flush. Maybe 2 seconds, and about a 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of water. I flush it into a cup so I can be consistent with it.
3/ I then wait for 5-10 seconds for the water to mix together in the boiler and the boiler temp to stabilize (keeping in mind there is still energy being released by the heater at this point), then pull the shot.  When I do this , I get a temp of between 201 and 204, consistently.

I'll likely try similar experimentation but using the steam wand instead.

Regarding my other concern...pressure...well I've now got the grind dialed in to give me a nice 9 bar pull showing on the manometer. I still make the odd mistake, but more and more of my shots are coming out really nice. Some VERY good ones.
h3yn0w
h3yn0w

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 4:34pm

Just thought I'd provide a quick update (perhaps Rob is still interested:) ) on my results using the steam wand to release pressure prior to a shot.

Once again I use the styrofoam cup method.

1/  I flush out a bit of water, again and again until the heating element kicks in.
2/  Once the heating element turns off, I open the steam valve and let all the steam / pressure release. It's open about 2-3 seconds I think before it stops.
3/ Pull the shot right away.

Using the above, I am reading about 202 in the cup. Pretty much in line with my previous procedure using the cooling flush. The good thing about the steam wand method is to me it seems a bit easier to be consistent. The downside, as I think I mentioned is it introduces a 2 or 3 second lag before water is produced when brewing. Just something to keep in mind if you are timing your shots.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Le'Lit PL41EM:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.369361162186)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+